Author Topic: loud noise/increased tinnitis  (Read 8313 times)

goinbatty

loud noise/increased tinnitis
« on: July 27, 2007, 07:02:23 pm »
Several days ago, I accidently banged 2 glass dishes together and immediately could sense something in the AN ear.  Since then, the tinnitis is louder.  I've used an earplug during the day but that is actually more annoying because I notice the tinnitis even more.  I certainly hope it lessens soon.  My 6 mo MRI is coming up and this occurring makes me a little more on edge than I already was.  Has anyone had this happen from a sudden loud noise?  By the way, it doesn't hurt and there is no pressure.  Just loud tinnitis and occasionally it's a loud crackling sound like someone crumbling up a piece of paper. 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

goinbatty

Re: loud noise/increased tinnitis
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 07:29:09 pm »
Thanks for replying so quickly.  It helps to know someone else has experienced this.  I keep telling this little alien in my head that it's time to fly back to Mars but so far no luck.  Got to keep a sense of humor about all of this or I'll go nuts.  Thanks again. 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Windsong

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 08:04:39 pm »
if I am in an underground garage and the fans are on it's nutso tinnitus in my head, with disorientation, plus if any "muscle car" drives by down there, I am in pain... it's awful...... as for any  car that is around with very loud stereo on, that's when i wish i had a rapid exit for 2 miles away......

this is only something i noticed in the last 2-3 yrs not before.....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:59:14 pm by Windsong »

Betsy

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 08:35:45 pm »
Sadly, the sound of ice in the blender can set my tinnitus off.  No more nectarine daiquiris for me!  Just as well... I don't need to be drinking when my balance is bad anyway.  The booming/screeching/wibbling of the MRI machine does it too.

I'm going to Radio Shack this weekend for a pair of those sound canceling headsets.  I'll let you know how they work.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Sam Rush

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 09:13:25 pm »
FYI  AN ers with hyperacusis tinnitus.
I am experimenting on myself with a pink noise CD I bought on the hyperacusis network. They have a support group similar to this one.

Anyway, they claim that pink noise will attenuate hyperacusis type tinnitus. It seems similar to white noise, but coarser. I put it on my IPOD and listen for an hour at a time with my good ear and the volume turned up.

Will keep this site posted with what my experience with this turns out to be.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Windsong

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 10:46:52 pm »
Sam,  I'm wondering why the volume has to be turned up? also at what decibel level please.... am curious as i thought loud noises set off/or increase hyperacusis or tinnitus....thanks....

Sam Rush

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 10:57:24 pm »
I don't know if I'm using it correctly. I have an inquiry on the hyperacusis site. I'm experimenting to see if the volume turned up will desenitize me to other sounds??? I don't know. Tinnitus, esp. hyperacusis is poorly understood. There is practically no research to review, just anecdotal reports.  I'm grasping at straws, but the CD was only $15., so I thought I would try it. There are other studies where you wear a noise generator continuosly for over a year,, 2 yrs. with SSD. Expensive and unproven. There is an audiologist at HEI who will evaluate me for ONLY  $400 to see if I'm a candidate for a "therapeutic sound generator". Will keep you posted.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Windsong

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 12:03:11 am »
 I was writing a reply then lost it before posting lol but I was about to say that maybe frequency levels might be the key along with some submolecular level or  neural pathway damage.....i.e some weird brain wiring that changes..... (not necessarily hair cell dmage in the inner or outer ear)

$ 400 dollars? lol.... i'd hope that the frequencies on any machine would be matched up with the frequencies lost in the hearing.....

it's a bummer not knowing how to fix this....especiallly when it intrudes on daily life ....

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 06:04:03 am »
I had an interesting conversation with my husband regarding where the tinnitus could possibly originate.  I talked with a doctor who did his thesis on tinnitus and he finds it interesting that one who is deaf in one ear can still "hear" the noise from tinnitus.  This brings me back to my first line in this message.  Could the tinnitus originate from a misfiring in the brain as an electrical currant causing a vibration to the skull?  For the first time I tried on a BAHA headband recently and the vibration to my skull helped me tremendously in being able to hear much better.  Hmmmm?  My husband was wondering if anyone has tried hypnosis for tinnitus? 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

mema

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 03:57:17 pm »
Sometimes when I'm watching TV the smallest change in sound like a coin drop or things you normally think are soft noises cause my tinnitus to go louder than usual.                                                                                                                                                 

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

thornapple

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 08:58:05 pm »
I have that problem, too. Just noise from driving on the highway can rile up my ear and make it screech like a banshee. Wind, loud noises, kids yelling, crowds....dogs barking. Then that ear sounds like niagra falls is in there. I carry an earplug in my pocket.

When mine goes nuts, my doc suggested I take 2.5 mg of diazepam (valium) which will calm down the nerve. He was right...it does.

It actually calms down ALL of the nerves in my whole body, so I take it before I go to bed. This is not a regular thing, just when I am having a "bad ear" day. Then the next morning, things are much improved.

Since my AN is in my cochlea and I get to lose this ear graduallly without having to have surgery, I consider myself fortunate. And anything that helps is kind of a gift.

The AN has already destroyed the nerves that carry kitty purr to my brain, but I can still feel the rumble.

Richey

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 01:16:14 pm »
loud noise very much contributes to the tinnitus being magnified. Someone mentioned lawn tractors. Well I would love to just get someone else to cut grass but I have to do mine and my fathers but I have become very good at using my hearing protection. I use foam earplugs and earmuffs. I did this primarily to help preserve the hearing in my good ear but I do believe it helps with the deaf ear on the tinnitus issue. I know I call it a deaf ear but there are noises that I can pick up and I think that affects the tinnitus.