Author Topic: Topamax  (Read 29373 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Topamax
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2008, 03:55:51 pm »
Another Topamaxette! Welcome MamaGina! Jeez I wish I dint hafta take this s**t either!!!! Makes ya moody don't it!!!  I'm up to 150 mgs but I had a real doozy the other night, but I caused it myself by doing a bit of mountain climbing, the audacity of me, doing something normal for a change, like going hiking! Really! The noive!
Beside, I'm in the donut hole and got some generic Topamax from India made by Johnson and Johnson (supposedly) It cost about 1/3 of what the regular stuff does and should hold me until they work out the patent conflict in the courts so they can start releasing the generic version which should be soon. My Medicare Part D kicks back in in Jan anyway.

Again Gina, Welcome to the forum!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2008, 07:46:57 pm »
I am up to 150 Topomax twice a day and Midrin (up to five capsules in twelve hours).  The Midrin usually knocks me out after the third one, so I don't know if they are working or not.  The Doc says she is keeping me on Topomax (300) for another month and if it isn't doing more for me she will bump it up another 100.  Sounds more like I will be on Dopomax than Topomax!  Can't handle the train wreck headaches so I'll keep on keeping on...................
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

bridgie

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2008, 03:27:43 pm »
I've been tapering off the MS Contin, very slowly and also increasing the Topamax. All this has increased the rate of weight loss to an alarming rate. My mood has become depressed as well. My doctor is getting worried and is considering pulling the plug on the topamax. I'm drinking Ensure etc. I look awful, not flattering. I'm about 5'5" and now weight just above 100 lbs. I feel so overwhelmed with this and everything else going on with my life right now. Hopefully this whole thing will turn around shortly.
Bridgie

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2009, 05:36:24 pm »
Just thought I'd update all you headachers (brainwreckers) on Capt Deb's adventures in Topamaxland. I have been on 150 mg of the stuff for almost 2 years and I believe it has really helped my headaches but alas it has really turned me into a turnip mentally and a raving lunatic mood-wise at times.  I went off my Celexa anti-depressant just before my 5 week trip to Sunny Florida and I figgered with no men around and bee-oo-tee-full Sunny Weather I'd be OK detoxing. I did fine until I got home with my Man and a raging blizzard and cabin fever again. So I've decided to reduce my Topamax dose to the bare minimum I can tolerate without becoming a raging headacher again. Down I go to 100 mg this week. Also decreasing the Neurontin to try to recover some mental clarity. I have GOT to get some painting done for the spring gallery season!

While I was in FL during the 5 weeks I had 2 really wicked brainwrecks, which is not bad given my history. Unfortunately the last one lasted the final 2 days Dr Love was there with me and kinda ruined his trip as he only had 5 days down there to play.

That's the news from Topamaxland--I'll let you know how things go......

Capt Deb

Brendalu

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2009, 04:32:32 am »
I was on 400 mg of Topamax and decided it was time to try to wean off.  I did it slowly and with the doctor's guidance.  I got down to 100 and started with the brainwrecks again fast and furious.  I am back up to 250 and I still have the migraines but not as often so I am going to try to stay at this level for a while and see if they even out.
I am anxious to hear how it works out for you.  I'm rootin for ya!

Hugs,
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2009, 06:53:35 pm »
400 mg is a whopping, not to mention expensive dose, my pixie! And I know it makes you skinny and I know you are of the petite persuasion so that's a huge dose for your body weight.  You must have to be on some psych meds with that dose am I right?  I have to take them with my 150 mg. I also think all these meds are screwing with my immune system because I catch every cold germ that comes down the pike despite repeated hand-washing especially around the grandkids. 

Good Luck holding at the 250.  I'm toying with the idea of going off completely just to see if I've gotten any better now that I'm completely off any kind of pain meds.

Capt Deb

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2009, 04:09:55 pm »
Down to 50 mgs of Topamax every other day and holding--had slight headache all day yesterday after MRI--assuming it due to stress of other health probs that have cropped up. 

Capt Deb

Brendalu

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2009, 04:26:59 am »
Capt Deb,
I wish it had made me skinny, but it had just the opposite affect on me!  I am a strange bird, to say the least.  I am back up to 250mg and holding.  I'm glad you are having minimal effects with the low dosage.  Hopefully, they will get your "other" problems taken care of and you will be back to mountain climbing by the time the weather warms up enough to do it again!
I am taking Midrin when I have "headache" and it works better for me than Imitrex.  Go figure. 
Spent most of yesterday in bed...between the headache and the legs....I am ready to amputate both!
You take care.
Hugs,
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT