Author Topic: Post Op recovery question  (Read 2958 times)

Todd86

Post Op recovery question
« on: July 01, 2007, 04:46:50 pm »
Hello all... I am 8 days out from a MF removal of a small tumor.  Do pretty well but had a few questions for the group!

1)  I have a fair amount of swelling in my flap which didn't allow me to get my sutures out at 1 week.. Have to wait 2 weeks.  Anyone else with similiar experience.

2)  I am having alot of neck pain (low cervicle) that really seem to cause discomfort when laying down despite soft/hard pillows etc.  Any ideas?

3)  By balance is ok on my feet but I definitely feel alot of moving visually and TV and computer are only good for short periods.  How long does it take most folk to feel 80-90%?

Thanks to all.

Boppie

Re: Post Op recovery question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 06:50:24 pm »
Hi Todd, Congratulations! Your event is past you.  You will get lots of posts in reply here.

All sounds normal and on time to me.  8 days post op is still early to expect neck and head sensitivity to be gone. I waited four weeks for sutures to come out.  I had suture pain, ear lobe pain and head sensitivity for a few weeks.  I didn't sleep laying flat until the end of the second week post op.  Use the computer and TV in short spurts.  You still need rest.  Your symptoms will be a lot better by the end of the first month.  Don't lift heavy things.  Continue to walk as much as you can.  Try to look straight out and striaght ahead instead of looking down.  Stay hydrated.  It is hot.  You might feel 80-90% by a few months.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 06:54:29 pm by Boppie »

marg

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 11:03:30 pm »
Hi Todd,   I am 7 weeks (tomorrow) post surgery.  I had a middle fossa approach too.  I was told that the neck pain had to do with the angle they have you at during surgery.  I had a lot of neck pain too.... ( I had been in a car accident 30 years ago that did some neck damage) .  At 4 weeks I finally went to see my chiropractor (I checked with the neurosurgeon first ) and the chiropractor used a small instrument on my neck to adjust it... he has been using this little instrument (he calls it a thumper... sorry I don't know the real name)  on my neck for years because I can't have him manually adjust my neck.   I have seen him 3 times and feel much better.
     You might try using 2 pillows ( I have a feather one that I can scrunch up to support my neck).  I always take extra strength Tylenol at night too.... so I don't wake up with a headache. 
  It will get better.... hang in there.
Margaret 
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Obita

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 06:17:27 am »
Hi Todd86 - it is good to have you on!!

I am a translaber so I can't help with the flap.....but, the neck pain for me was awful.  My surgeons said it was spasms from having my neck/head cocked for so long like marg said.  Valium took care of that problem.

Reading, the pc and tv were hard for me too.  I could not concentrate or focus very well for a while.  Maybe a few weeks at least.   I too, felt real good by a month post op.

Good luck -

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Todd86

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 10:17:20 am »
Thanks to all for the info... I will continue to keep at it and appreciate all the advice!

Todd

OTO

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 10:28:31 pm »
Todd86

Re:  Balance.  I'm 6 wks post-surgery, and my balance is starting to feel better... say 80%.   Once I'm upright I'm pretty stable.   Getting up from lying down on the couch after watching TV, causes the room to spin for a second.   Thats one of the exercises, getting up from lying down (20 times).   Also when I'm driving and I go over a speed bump that makes me dizzy.   Walking at night taking out the garbage or going to close the driveway gate is pretty shaky.   I need that visual fix on a stable object.   The improvement over the last 2 weeks have been good.  I've been to the high school track to walk some laps.   The straight aways are okay. but the cuirves can bring on the wobbles.   Keep doing your exercises...  OTO