Author Topic: Neal made it thru but still not computer wizard!  (Read 3791 times)

neal r. lyons

Neal made it thru but still not computer wizard!
« on: June 29, 2007, 07:22:36 am »
Greetings for the the Seton House!  Here I go again.  I just lost 1 hour of posting but here we go. 
     My wonderful sister and we  just checked into the Seton Guest House yesterday as they have been full.  Get your res. in early if you are coming to the House Ear Clinic.  Tomorrow(friday) it will be 1 week since my Translab surgery at about 1:30 pm the 22nd.  I'm both greatful and happy to have it behind me! 
the surgery was about 5 and 1/2 hours, 3 and a half of which was the tumor removal by the Dr. Mark Schwartz.   Dr. Kutz   made the incision and Dr. Brackmann worked his way to the tumor.
     It was alittle painful to talk much upon entering ICU but a wonderful feeling to hold my niece's hand.  Dr. Brackmann visited me the following morning and informed me that mine was a tough one- sticky with lots of facial nerve stretching.  He said in my case I may not recover fully.  But hey -I'll take what I get.  Were talking about facial nerve recovery.  I'll see Dr. Brackmann om Monday morning the 2nd, get my stitches out, get another contact for my right eye from Dr. Roberts which I will continue to iriigate and replace periodically, and finally see Dr. Stephan, my internist, before likely being released back into the world.  My sister (what a pair-her with her newly dislocated and my designated driver!  she's doing okay now  i just have to keep her in her sling.  We'll be on our way back to wash. state via Vegas and then it's just wait and see how my recovery goes before i make a decision to get back to Alaska to resume work.  I would recommend House to anyone.  We've met wonderful people here-stories abound.  I know that my facial nerve recovery is an issue for me but i'm happy that it did remain intact!
     It's refreshing to read about positive results i,ve been reading this morning!  I,ll update again before Sis and I leave.  I may be able to offer some info on the gold weight implant.  I already did actually, but that and more vanished into cyber space right before my eyes which a single ill-placed stroke on what is at times my absolute worst enemy the computer!  God bless and I'll be looking for more news on my coposties!  Neal YAHOO!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 04:03:51 am by neal r. lyons »
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Neal made it thru but still not computer wizard!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 10:44:03 am »
Congratulations!  You certainly sound chipper and upbeat for having just had skull surgery.  Get lots of rest and may you have a smooth, uneventful recovery!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Quailruner

• Kung Pow that AN thing
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 01:38:43 pm »
Thats great news, I also had Brackmann back in December. He did an excellent job.
Hope your road to recovery is swift.
Take Care.

Kenn A.
Kenn A. (Peoria AZ)
1.2 x .9 CM AN Right Side
Surgery on 19 Dec 2006 (Middle Fossa)
House Ear Clinic, Los Angles CA
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 03:10:59 pm »
Congrats, Neal!
Welcome to "Postie-world." Yes House is the best. I met a couple there that are sailors like me and they've been houseguests and I know will be friends for life. I actually met her through the forum here before we even got to House.
 So rest, walk,and get as much sleep as you can for now. Don't hesitate to post any questions for any of us either.
We're here for ya, dude!

Be well,
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

neal r. lyons

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 03:30:16 am »
Good day folks!  Thanks for the replies.  Went to the store with big Sis yesterday-a mile or so and got a little dizzy from the ride.  I was definitely trying to think about doing more than I should be attempting right now.  I even suggested yesterday(before the store trip) that we take a nice little drive to the beach, but have slipped into a lower gear.  We'll have a 5 hr. drive to Las Vegas come Monday.  I know that post-op dizziness is case by case.  I'm a little apprehensive about the ride but will see what Dr. Brachmann says.  Would appreciate your thoughts.    Thanks, Neal     
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

marg

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 11:04:06 am »
Hi Neal,
   I had my AN surgery 6   1/2 weeks ago .  When we drove home (about an hour away )  my balance was so bad that I couldn't even walk very far in the hospital hallways before feeling really sick.  Just before we left they gave me nausea medication and I also used my "Sea Bands"  Sea Bands are accupressure wrist bands that I have used for years  when I go on planes, boats or long winding car drives ( I have been 'car sick' all my life).   They have helped me so much and they were very helpful on the drive home too.  You can find them in the pharmacy dept of many stores.  They are reuseable (I have several sets I have bought over the years.... I keep them in my purse, car etc.).  I also used them on a 100 mile drive (twice in one day) to see my dad in the hospital less than 4 weeks after my surgery and again I was fine and didn't get sick.
    I hope this is helpful for you................and hurray that your surgery is over  :)  no more waiting... on to recovery !
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

jimmy r

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 11:30:09 am »
Glad everything went ok. take it easy and don't overdue it like i do. One minute you feel like a million bucks and then you feel like you just had brain surgery. Have fun in vegas.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

neal r. lyons

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 04:34:41 am »
Thanks Margaret-I am not familiar with the sea bands but will check it out! 
     Jimmy I also have trouble sitting still for long but it looks as if i may have to learn how to relax from time to time.  Since today is a day of rest(thank God for that) I should be okay.
     My sister and I met two gentlemen from Argentina(father and son) and we went out for about four hours last nite by car.  It was more than i probably should have done in hindsight but educational for me to get a small taste of being around noise and groups so soon after surgery.  My right eye tiredness was fairly predominant but I did think to bring eyedrops.  My big sis said she wished that she would have had her camera as she observed Guillermo(my new Argentian friend and I applying our eyedrops simultaneously while sitting on a bench waiting for our reservation at the Cheesecake Factory at the Grove.)  Listening has taken some new challenges for me and naturally, in a group setting can become very fatiguing.   But I have lots of time to devote to hearing issues in the future.  I will share the story of new friend and his father and family sometime time soon.  They have been thru so much and I  feel fortunate to have had the pleasure of their company.     Good day for now!  The 4th of July looms!  Safety first!  Neal

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 04:05:57 am by neal r. lyons »