Author Topic: My balance is fine - but my BIKE RIDING is NOT  (Read 15904 times)

kippy6

My balance is fine - but my BIKE RIDING is NOT
« on: June 25, 2007, 09:12:41 pm »
I have this 10-speed bike my husband purchased for me about 5 years ago. He just came home one day and suprised me, and bought both of us bikes. Now that my children are all getting old enough to ride bikes as well, I've decided to tackle this, and see if I can teach myself how to ride a 10-speed.

Needless to say, I'm having a little trouble. I'm just practicing on the street my house is on, and I'm pretty wobbly...it's kind of embarrasing... I have no idea how to change all the gears, and it's next to impossible for me to figit with the gears while trying to just stay rolling and in balance. (I used to experiment with my bike on occasion before my surgery, and I NEVER wobbled like this.) In addition, b/c this is a 10-speed bike, I have to lean way forward. This is not the most comfortable position for my head...

Is there anyone out there who taught themselves how to ride a 10-speed after AN surgery? I need to learn this so that I can bike ride w/my kids this summer. I'm trying to set new goals, and this is one of them.
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Jeanlea

Re: My balance is fine - but my BIKE RIDING is NOT
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 10:24:38 pm »
Good for you!  Keep working on it and you will get it.  I wouldn't worry about the gears until you get the balance part.  It helps to look ahead for balance.  Try to begin with level areas to ride.  I knew how to ride my bike before surgery so it wasn't too difficult to get back on and go.  Make sure you have good brakes, too.  It's also important that your feet can easily touch the ground if you start to lose your balance.
Good luck to you.
Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:24:58 pm »
The more you ride the less you will wobble!  You need to get out somewhere so you can ride a while and feel more comfortable.  Just riding in your neighboorhood won't do it, to many cars and street intersections to deal with.  I agree with Jeanlea, don't worry about the gears for now.  Each time I get on the bike I wobble like crazy then remember that I ride just fine after I get going. The confidence kicks in and the fear goes away.  My husband and I ride on a bike path along the river, last week we rode 20 miles round trip.  On the way back he noticed that I never shift so he told me how, I said I was fine.  He said to just shift the left lever with my left hand, I just couldn't (mentally), even though I'm left handed.  For some reason I had the courage to do it right handed and boy did I feel good, didn't care if it made the ride easier, I was just happy I could do it. I know I will be nervous the next time I ride and want to shift gears but I will remember the last time I rode and how easy it was to shift and I will do it again!  You might want to look into getting some different handle bars for the 10 speed.  I have mountain bike handle bars on mine so I don't have to bend down so far.  Goodluck 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 11:44:36 pm »
Get a beach cruiser bike, you can sit up straigher which will take out some of the discomfort.
You can even get them with gears to change speeds.
I have ridden one without falling off, the other one I can't handle.

Have fun!

Mary 117

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 04:20:02 pm »
Hi. I'm back to riding but find I can't turn my head to look behind without driving off the road or tipping over. I got a side mirror for the handlebar so I can look behind. I have also seen them for your helmet. I rode only with another grownup for many months so they could warn me.
Good luck and be careful.
Mary

2cm Middle Fossa, Dr Brackmann 5/24/05
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

kristin

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 06:56:45 pm »
Are you talking one of the road bikes? With super thin tires? I couldn't ride them BEFORE surgery! They're tough! I have a mountain bike and riding is ok unless I try to look at the scenery!
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

kippy6

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:42:19 pm »
Thanks guys -- You are right -- it would be best to start w/o the danger of cars. I'm thinking that bike paths around here will be hard to find, but I'll give it a shot. Oh -- and my seat is up a little too high, as only the tips of my toes can touch the ground! So I'll have to fix that. Mountain bike handles sound interesting. Anything to be able to sit up a little straighter (no headaches please)!!  A beach cruiser bike sounds cool. Are those the kind of bikes that come in cool colors that remind you of the color of beach houses near Destin?

And I may need to get one of those side-mirrors as well.  I thought my balance was okay, but now I'm seeing that I have more to work on. It's a little dissapointing. I don't really know another adult interested in bike riding right now -- but I can take my kids with me. My bike probably came from Walmart. It's a typical 10-speed. It doesn't have super thin tires, but I don't know if it is considered a mountain bike or not. Since I have to lean way forward, I'm thinking it's not a mountain bike. But I don't really know... sorry.

There are a few moms in my neighborhood who have gotten into triathalons and/or bike racing. (Their bikes have super-thin tires.)  I would love to get into racing one day too. But right now, I just need practice keeping the bike rolling without falling off. I feel like a little first grader.

BTW, do you guys all wear helmets?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 09:48:14 pm by kippy6 »
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

NF-2er

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 07:12:52 pm »
Hi;

Give yourself plenty of time if fairly recently post op. Shift little. Don't look behind and back again. The handlebar mirror is a good idea. Not helmet mirrors.
   I had a 21 speed and was riding RAGBRAI and with a club sometimes 90 miles in a day.
   Seems another bike was an idea offered you. Do you love your husband and his good intention?  : )
   You'll get it. I still try with a bilateral loss now. The oscillopsia makes the nausea well up.
   Now, it's dangerous and no fun and last fall I found a collectors bike at a rummage sale. New price was $2800

NF-2er

paul1149

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 08:35:44 pm »
Hi,, my first post. Regged when I saw the bike problem.

It sounds like the bike needs to be fitted to you. It's actually best to fit a new bike to you, but it's not too late to make some worthwhile changes. You should be able to reach the ground from a seated position, and when pedalling your knees should be fairly straight when your feet are at the bottom of the stroke.

The higher and more rearward the seat, the more weight on the arms. Also, the handlebar's stem height affects the weight on the arms. Generally, it's easier and more comfortable to ride when you're in a more upright position. Easier to turn your head, too.

I use the mirror glued to my helmet. It makes a big difference.

If need be, find a good local bike shop to fit you. I just had mine put a taller stem on the front fork, to raise the bars up. These days the sell "comfort" bikes, or hybrid "road comfort" bikes, which are set up for a more erect seating position. The fit makes all the difference in the world. I have an expensive bike, but it's really not properly fitted to me, which makes my riding that much harder.

I don't believe I have an AN, but I do have a serious disequilibrium problem. I'm having it checked out presently.

Good luck and be blessed,
p.

kristin

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 07:46:09 pm »
helmet yes. but mostly because i have an 8 year old and i get in trouble if i don't wear my helmet! also, a 50 yr old women fell off her bike and died here about a month ago..scary!!

8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

ernie h

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 03:33:41 am »
hi everyone new to the site.i'm ernie.i'm post op almost exactly 1yr to the day.r side a.n. surgically removed.my balance is still an issue as is the funny head feeling i lost my r side hearing.anyway just rode my bicycle last week first time since surgery.did ok until i turned my head to check behind me not good i'll keep trying gl to everyone.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 06:53:34 am »
Hi and welcome Ernie H -

Congratulations on the biking riding milestone.  It took me one year post op also to get back on my bicycle.  You'll become steadier on it in time; don't give up!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 09:04:48 am »
Practice at least three times a week some of the vestibular exercises that have been posted here as they will help you while turning your head and balance.  I know I still have much difficulty in some poses of yoga where I am leaning/bending forward and turn my head.  Throws me off completely.  There's something about leaning or bending forward with your head that will cause us to lose our balance even looking down can do this, so keeping the head high and a neutral position can be a help with balance.  Good luck with the biking!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 09:58:26 am »
Here is my old post with photo
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5584.msg56072#msg56072

The balance did NOT happen or come to me overnight. I had to really work at it VERY hard. If you read the thread from start to finish- you will see the progression.

I started on a stationary bike at home- to get my fitness level back up. From there I progressed to trying to sit on a palates ball without touching the ground -to maintain balance. (I did this on the carpet and surround myself with pillows)
http://www.pilatesfitness.co.uk/ontheball.html
 At first this was a challenge and I had to have something to hold onto or balance - if I started to teeter to one side. Over time I got better as I worked on this daily.

ten speed
My ten speed bike I knew would be a challenge as it has me so hunched over when sitting on it. I used a mountain bike (a cheap department store one with big fat tires) that had me sitting more upright.

Helmet??
The other thing you must do is get a helmet that covers the ole craniotomy hole. Remember if you have a fall and hit your head you, unlike the average person, you now have a few stress points (screws etc).  :-\ This increases your chance and probability of skull fracture. I bought this helmet to cover my retrosigmoid hole. 8)
http://www.bernunlimited.com/2008/berkeley.html
You would have to try a few on- to see if it also covers the your translab hole- being that this point to entry I “thinkâ€?  :-\  is a little further down the skull than the retrosigmoid opening.

Fatter tires
I suggest you get a bike with fatter tires until you master the bike riding skill again. Also to be so hunched over the 10 speed style handlebars may increase the vertigo sensation. You will need to work your way up to a ten speed.

Ear noise
I also found I had better balance on the bike when I wore an earplug in the good ear...

Try again with these tips …and keep us posted on your progress. Way to go for getting back onto a bicycle.   8)  Don’t give up yet…

Keep moving forward!

DHM  :)

P.S. I practiced head turns on the stationary bike and while balancing on the palates ball. I have retrained my brain and now I have NO problems sight seeing while I ride. I had a doctor tell me I would not be able to ride and sightsee at the same time. HMMM  :-\  >:(  :P  ;)  ;D  I proved him wrong! So nah  :D
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 10:03:48 am »
I haven't attempted my bike yet because we live on top of a mountain (okay, maybe more like a very big hill), but my neighborhood is all big hills and not completely paved yet.

My 5 year old keeps wanting me to go to the park to ride bikes and I know I'm going to have to do it one of these days.  I may take the training wheels off of her bike and put them on mine. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.