Author Topic: My balance is fine - but my BIKE RIDING is NOT  (Read 15939 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: My balance is fine - but my BIKE RIDING is NOT
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 10:42:59 am »
I still don't manage my bike well...get dizzy and nauseated... but I can skate without killing myself...
good luck to all you bike riders... I am sticking to my 8 wheels on the ground for now
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Tamara

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 11:58:43 am »
I got an "old lady" bike a few years ago, when my elbows would ache after long rides on my skinny-tired, handlbars low 10 -speed.  I now have a great seat with shock absorbers, and "normal" handlebars at roughly waist level.  I have thicker tires, but it's more of a hybrid, not a real mountain bike, because I mostly ride trails and streets.  The thinner the tire, the less effort it takes to ride, so I didn't want a thick, heavily tractioned tire.  You might do better with such a bike.

It's my goal to be riding again by the end of the month - I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck
Tammy
PS YES, I ALWAYS wear a helmet!
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

reg

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 06:23:12 pm »
 :(hi again i have a harley and can't wait to get back on just waiting patiently
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 08:49:01 am »
Reg,

Harley huh? Be sure to wear a helmet!!  8) Goggles and or a face shield too!  :)

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

kenneth_k

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 01:14:06 pm »
Hi,

6 months post op I have almost no problems riding my bike. But it is only 7 gears :D
I cun turn my head now without ending up in the ditch.
The only time I'm challenged is in rugged terrain. My head doesn't accomadate to vibrations yet. The vision gets blurry.

Regards, Kenneth

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 07:44:13 pm »
I agree with some of the other posts. Get a bike that allows you to sit more upright instead of leaning over so far. And a 5 speed is more than enough for casual rides with the kids. You don't need two sets of gears to master. A hybrid is a great way to go.

Be very careful....pavement is pretty unforgiving. That's why I chose water for my therapy. It took me 3 months to get to the point where I could stand for any length of time on my standup paddleboard. I've started getting back on my bike now that the paddling has helped get things closer to normal.

Good luck.

Bob
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Seal

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 06:51:46 am »
I have this 10-speed bike my husband purchased for me about 5 years ago. .

In addition, b/c this is a 10-speed bike, I have to lean way forward. This is not the most comfortable position for my head...

Is there anyone out there who taught themselves how to ride a 10-speed after AN surgery? I need to learn this so that I can bike ride w/my kids this summer. I'm trying to set new goals, and this is one of them.

Good morning,

I am about 12 days days post - op now, and I am already looking forward to getting back to the bike.    As a long time rider, I am hoping that experience will help in gaining back my balance to pre-AN level of riding.      I'll continue to post the progress for others.    Here are a couple of responses to add to the other good advice you have received already:

1)  The bike that you have is probably NOT good  for riding with the kids and on a daily basis.    As stated, look for a good cross training bike for now wth wide wheels.   As local bike shop can help enormously with selection and fitting.     If budget does not allow that route, look into local used sources for either a cross training bike or mountain bike that will give you stability
2)  Never ever ride a bike without a helmet.    I've had three crashes at speed with the second two resulting in broken bones.    However, the helmet did what it was supposed to by fracturing and sacrifing itself for my big fat head.    Without the helmet, I'd either be drooling on myself in some ward somewhere or much worse.     This also goes DOUBLE for your precious kids.
3)  Most of my biking friends have multiple bikes.   Why?   Because we do various things from riding in the woods in the offseason to high speed road biking in the summertime.      If the cross trainer/offroad bike becomes comfortable, you may continue to graduate to road bikes to ride with the other mothers in your area.    However, you can still get a great workout from the cross trainer bikes without going to a full on race. bike.    Start slowly and conservatively, and you will slowly find yourself looking for every opportunity to get out on the bike.

Good luck,
Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

jordy

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 12:52:30 pm »
I've recently started back to my  bike riding, surgery was last Sept., always rode 20 miles.  I felt like someone took my training wheels away.  I did get better as I rode, but I do need to get a side mirror, because turning around, looking away is asking for disaster.  Practice, practice, practice is the key.................I can't go Ten Pin bowling anymore, or read books like I use to, or listen to my walkman, but I WILL continue to ride my bicycle!!!!!!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 09:10:52 pm »
Ride on! Way to go!

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 09:17:50 pm »
Jordy -

congratulations on this milestone!  ;D

Suggestion on the walkman - look into a mono plug; they sell them at Radio Shack and also on Amazon.com and they are very inexpensive.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102690&tab=summary

The mono plug is basically an adapter that will allow you to use a single ear phone (also available at RadioShack) so that you can hear stereo sound in one ear.

The combined cost of both the mono plug adapter and the single ear phone is less than $10.  I've have mine for almost 2 years now and it makes my iPod sound fantastic!

Happy listening,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 09:38:58 am »
Jan,

Great link. I am going to get one. Thanks for posting this!

DHM

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 08:45:03 pm »
DHM -

this post might also interest you  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9826.0

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jordy

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 05:33:13 pm »
Jordy -

congratulations on this milestone!  ;D

Suggestion on the walkman - look into a mono plug; they sell them at Radio Shack and also on Amazon.com and they are very inexpensive.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102690&tab=summary

The mono plug is basically an adapter that will allow you to use a single ear phone (also available at RadioShack) so that you can hear stereo sound in one ear.

The combined cost of both the mono plug adapter and the single ear phone is less than $10.  I've have mine for almost 2 years now and it makes my iPod sound fantastic!

Happy listening,

Jan

jordy

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 05:45:42 pm »
Jan..............thank-you sooooooooooooooo much on the tip regarding the  mono plug adapter..............can't wait to check it out.

I'm going to thank a friend for introducing me to this site..........what a godsend!!!!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 07:15:03 pm »
Jordy -

glad I could help  ;D

If you have a Blackberry, you might find this topic helpful  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9826.0

Jan