Author Topic: Metallic Taste  (Read 3930 times)

Catflower

Metallic Taste
« on: June 18, 2007, 04:24:46 pm »
Has anyone else had a metallic taste in their mouth following AN surgery.  I had surgery on 4/17/07, but this taste in my mouth didn't start until mid-May.  That was also the time that I had to go on the six weeks of IV anti-biotic therapy.  I've also been Flagyl since that time to keep the yeast under control.

I was just curious if this might be surgery-related or if it's the Flagyl

The doctors all keep telling me to gain weight, but everything tasts so bitter it's hard to find anything that I want to eat.  I never thought I'd have that problem  ;)

Cheryl R

Re: Metallic Taste
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 04:32:41 pm »
Flagyl does cause a metallic taste so that is probably the cause.     It is a possibilty the surgery could part of the reason even if it  seems to be a late starting but I'll bet the Flagyl is the biggest reason.
                                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 05:51:26 pm »
I had the metallic taste for a long time post op (about 3rd or 4th month); very annoying. Biotene Toothpaste helped some of the problem.  Regular toothpastes really made the tastes worse.

In the past flagyll gave me continual intestinal upsets for the whole dosage period, but I didn't notice metallic then. 

Try to find something that smells good to you and eat that.  I found chocolate and mashed potatoes the most satisfying when I was in early recovery.  Also, I noticed that a touch of extra salt put on at the table helped, don't know why. 

BB

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:07:59 pm »
I DEFINATELY CAN'T TAKE FLAGYL.  REALLY MADE ME FEEL BAD AND THE METALLIC TASTE WAS REALLY BAD.  CALLED MY DOCTOR AND THEY GAVE ME THE SAME THING IN AN OINTEMENT FORM  FOR THE YEAST PROBLEM, BUT I DID EXPERIENCE A WEIRD TASTE AFTER SURGERY AND I WAS NOT ON FLAGYL, BUT IT WOULD COME AND GO AND EVENTUALLY WENT AWAY.  YOU MIGHT WANT TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR AND SEE IF THEY CAN GIVE YOU SOMETHING ELSE.  IT MIGHT TAKE CARE OF YOUR PROBLEM AND MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER.  BB

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 10:11:15 pm »
The metal taste comes from Trigeminal nerve compression from the tumor, or from the surgery trauma itself when surgeon resects tumor trying to save integrity of nerve.
another after effect is no tearing for a while. (the motor nerve)
I had the metal taste, even BEFORE surgery due to the nerve compression. like aluminum foil over the toungue of the affected side.

Darn dentist told me to try new toothpaste! before Dx of AN
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Catflower

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 06:00:04 am »
The metal taste comes from Trigeminal nerve compression from the tumor, or from the surgery trauma itself when surgeon resects tumor trying to save integrity of nerve.
another after effect is no tearing for a while. (the motor nerve)
I had the metal taste, even BEFORE surgery due to the nerve compression. like aluminum foil over the toungue of the affected side.

Darn dentist told me to try new toothpaste! before Dx of AN

How long did it take the metallic taste to go away?

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 05:04:24 pm »
post op endoscopic it slowly went away and I had sensation come back in my lip about post op 4-5 months.
But now I am having it come back for somereason, the left tip of my tung is metal.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06