Author Topic: Should I? or shouldn't I? what kind????  (Read 8603 times)

djhorn73

Should I? or shouldn't I? what kind????
« on: June 18, 2007, 04:05:01 pm »
I had my AN removed last year in May and the further I go along the more I am feeling isolated and stupid and frustrated because I have trouble hearing when their are other sounds in the room or others talking. So I THINK I want to get a hearing aid, but my doctor said my hearing was preserved enough that I don't HAVE to get one unless it becomes bothersome.... well I am to that point... but I can't decide.. should I get one... will it help? I tried an amplifier and that didn't help at all. It just made everything louder but didn't clarify what everyone was saying. and the volume was tricky so it was low or high. nothing between. So I don't think that was the right thing for me. So what do I do about getting one... what kind should I get? Should I get it at my doctors office who did the surgery? my insurance said they wouldn't cover it... but then I saw someone who said that if the doctor can make it look like it is all part of the procedure then they could possibly be covered. Is this true? since it was a year ago can that still work? any information would be helpful! Does anyone have a hearing aid and did it help? what kinds are the better kinds? and what kinds can you get that you don't have to sell your house in order to pay for them! (It makes me angry that insurance doesn't pay for hearing aids!)

thanks!
TTFN

Jeanlea

Re: Should I? or shouldn't I? what kind????
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 04:13:27 pm »
If you do have some remaining hearing you may be able to get a "regular" type of hearing aid.  Stop in at one of those places selling hearing aids or an audiolgist to see what they can do for you.  I am completely deaf on one side so my options are limited.  I got the TransEar.  I wear it daily and notice it when I forget it. 
I'm sure others on here may have more advice.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

djhorn73

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 04:17:40 pm »
Thank you for your advice.... don't I have to go to a doctors office to get a hearing aid? I know they sell them at sears... but I don't trust them... they are salesmen to me... so I don't want them selling me something I really don't need selling me upgrades that I really don't need. So I want to make sure I go to someone that I can trust... and Do they happen to have doctors who will let you go on a trial period so if you don't like them or they don't help you can give them back???

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 04:22:08 pm »
I think the first place to start would be a current hearing test.  Depending on the results of your tests the audiolgist
will be able to assist you in deciding what products would work best for you and your individual needs.  Go to someone that really has your best interest at heart, that will stand behind the product  rather then making a sale.

best to you
raydean

PS  yes there are laws in place to protect you.  The aids can be returned within a specified timeframe.
As I understand it, you would be refunded for the aid minus costs for the molds.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 04:38:00 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

djhorn73

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 05:14:21 pm »
Thank you SO much for the advice! that is great! I am going to check into it tomorrow and see what I can come up with.... any other tips? Does anyone else have one? did it help?

Raydean

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:19:21 pm »
In regards to coverage by your insurance.  Riders can be added to existing policies much like riders for
vision, and dental coverage.   Be sure and check when you'd be covered if you decide to purchase a rider, and of course how much it cover, and cost to rider to see if it's a good thing or not.  Your insurance agent or human resourse person if policy is thru your work should be able to advise you and help you in this area.

best to you
raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

djhorn73

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 05:20:31 pm »
OH! Ok... I will give them a call on that one too. :) thanks!

Dealy

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 05:21:51 pm »
Raydean is correct. Go too a certified Audiologist-one that is local and get a hearing test. The new digitial Hearing Aids can be programmed too your individual hearing Needs. A good Audiologist will let you try one out for 30 days-free of charge. Do Not waste your time on the Walmart type-Miricale Ear. A good Hearing Aid is not cheap but it may help or not depending on damage to Hearing Nerve caused by the AN. It is worth a try. Good Luck. I am trying out 2 different kinds of Digitial Hearing Aids-one is by Bernefon and costs $1300 and the other is by PHonak that cost $3000 dollars- (Ouch). But without it I cannot hear so it is worth it too me. Good Luck. Hope you find something that will work for you. Keep us posted. Ron

djhorn73

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 05:27:10 pm »
My goodness! that is a scary price! I am SO glad I can do a trial with them! I am just above the line as being considered deaf in one ear it is just that when their is background sounds I can't understand what people are saying. It makes it EXTREMELY difficult when we go out to eat. or go shopping. I can't understand what people are saying. And drive thur windows... YIKES! forget it! i can't read their lips though a speaker! So I am really going to do some research and I guess the first thing is to try to find someone close to home that will test my hearing again and fit me with one. I wonder how much a mold for my ear costs. I am almost afraid to ask!

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 12:31:55 am »
DJ my two cents:
I am getting a phonak savia art july 2nd. They are on the pricey end however, I am a voacational rehab client and they are covering the cost. If you are having difficutly at work I would recommend you go to vr and get started in that process as they will assist you in obtaining aids if it will keep you employeed. I was not able to return to my chosen profession after my surgery and through vr I am obtaining a masters degree, hearing aids, glasses and meds to help me regain employment.

I'll let you know how mine work out. I can't wait. My right ear is perfect and is ok when home alone but when I am out in public or rest. I have trouble.

djhorn73

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 06:48:11 am »
Well I went to see an Audiologist yesterday and he said that the types of hearing aids that are out there won't help me. He said that my right ear did loose some but it wasn't as drastic as he had expected. So he said for me to try putting an ear plug in my AN ear and seeing if that will help. He thinks that because my brain is hearing the same sounds in two different tones it is confusing my brain and that is why I can't understand people. So he said to wear and ear plug and see if it helps. I just don't get why  a hearing aid wouldn't help me! since you said you have the same problem with not being able to understand people..... why would it not work for me? It doesn't make sense to me. Oh well.. I guess I am stuck feeling like an idiot because I can't understand people. :( any advice? 

Dealy

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 07:10:36 am »
I was sorry to read that a Hearing Aid will not work for your AN ear. Apparently their was too much damage too the Hearing Nerve caused by your surgery. I had radiation this last summer. However I am an NF2. This is my 2nd go around with these tumors. 18 years ago I had a 1.5 AN in my left ear that was surgically removed. My Hearing Nerve was removed at that time leaving me deaf in the left ear.  So I had SSD for 18 years and considered that normal. So in other words the Audiologist could be correct by the ear plug. I never heard out of my left ear after surgery and therefore experienced no problems from one sided deafness. You know now I would love too have my right ear hear like it use too. When I was diagnosed with this AN back in 2005 I had 100% hearing. After FSR Radiation I am now down too 50%. The hardest part of all this is that Music is entirely out now. No Pure Tone left. My hearing is like the old See and Say where you would pull a string and it would say- And the Cow Says-Then you would hear the Moo. Well my hearing is like when it says-And the Blank Says-kind of electronic and tinny. If you plug off the AN ear-the brain will adjust too SSD. Sorry for being so wordy. Best Regards- Ron.

djhorn73

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 09:57:32 am »
Thanks for all the advice and for sharing your story. The doctor told me I did have pretty good hearing in my right ear still and that is why he feels that the hearing aid won't help for the issue I am having. I can't understand people when their is background noise. So he said they can't help with that. I told them that on the phone when I called so why they didn't tell me that in the first place I don't know. :(

NF-2er

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 07:19:48 pm »
and?   : )  It's July 6   - NF-2er

DJ my two cents:
I am getting a phonak savia art july 2nd. They are on the pricey end however, I am a voacational rehab client and they are covering the cost. If you are having difficutly at work I would recommend you go to vr and get started in that process as they will assist you in obtaining aids if it will keep you employeed. I was not able to return to my chosen profession after my surgery and through vr I am obtaining a masters degree, hearing aids, glasses and meds to help me regain employment.

I'll let you know how mine work out. I can't wait. My right ear is perfect and is ok when home alone but when I am out in public or rest. I have trouble.

NF-2er

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 07:23:02 pm »
   Oops, sorry...
   I see you posted about your HA elsewhere. Best wishes with this!!   - NF-2er