Author Topic: Should I? or shouldn't I? what kind????  (Read 8606 times)

djhorn73

Re: Should I? or shouldn't I? what kind????
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 09:51:52 pm »
Where did they post about the hearing aid and how they like it? I would like to read about it. I thought they might update us in this post also.... :)

thornapple

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 06:34:15 am »
I have an AN inside my right cochlea and have fairly good remaining hearing, but the sounds are all distorted. I have hearing loss in the other ear, too.

I got Pulse-Resound (here is their sitemap, they have a stupid website) http://www.resoundpulse.com/frontpage/sitemap.htm and darned if the things aren't cute! They are also virtually invisible. They only amplify the areas of hearing I have problems with; they don't amplify EVERYTHING and just make it louder. They used my audigram and amplified the areas I have loss.

They also don't amplify sounds that are already loud. Digital technology is great stuff. They program the little boogers on a computer, to match your audiogram.

I don't wear them unless I need to understand what people are saying; that is, there is no need to wear them when I am home with the dog.

Wearing hearing aides does make me tired, so I come home and take them out. It's extra input to my already tired brain that is already dealing with tinnitus, balance issues, etc.

They have made speech in crowds intelligible. They make it possible to have sort of balanced hearing (usually, I only really hear with my left ear). If I look right at the person talking in a huge noisy crowd, I can understand most of what they are saying, instead of having them sound like the adults in a Peanuts cartoon. I can understand the television without having to turn it up so it is uncomfortable for everyone else.

They are attractive. I got a designer color that matches my hair. They are like little jewels. When people find out I am wearing them, everyone wants to see them. Doctors checking my ears are astounded when I take them out, because they didn't notice I had them in.

They were worth the staggering price. I am no longer clueless in staff meetings.

Insurance didn't cover them, but I cashed in some retirement money in order to hear again. I had an 80 day trial period, and if I had not liked them would only have been out about $500 in fees. They give you a contract agreement to sign, so take it home and read it carefully. I had to have an audiogram that was 6 months or less old to get them, and the audiologist who sold them to me is a very nice, kind person. He wears them himself.

: )
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 06:48:19 am by thornapple »

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 12:05:52 am »
Well I went to see an Audiologist yesterday and he said that the types of hearing aids that are out there won't help me. He said that my right ear did loose some but it wasn't as drastic as he had expected. So he said for me to try putting an ear plug in my AN ear and seeing if that will help. He thinks that because my brain is hearing the same sounds in two different tones it is confusing my brain and that is why I can't understand people. So he said to wear and ear plug and see if it helps. I just don't get why  a hearing aid wouldn't help me! since you said you have the same problem with not being able to understand people..... why would it not work for me? It doesn't make sense to me. Oh well.. I guess I am stuck feeling like an idiot because I can't understand people. :( any advice? 

Before my surgery 2 weeks ago I had made a habit of covering my AN ear with my hand in crowds... I had
serviceable hearing in it bur at different frequency and my brain could not make sense of hearing same
thing in two voices ... now with no hearing in AN ear I can actually understand what I am hearing better
when there is background or more than on conversation going on... so to me plugging the ear makes some
sense to me ... I hope you find a workable answer for yourself
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Richey

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 01:15:48 pm »
If I were you I would see more than one audio doc. Some of these guys are much better informed than others. With the digital, programmable models out today it's hard to believe that there's not something out there that will help the problem even if you end up with a masking devise for the ear that distorted.

I lost all usable hearing on the left after GK and I use a bi-cross aid and it has helped me a great deal

djhorn73

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 02:51:11 pm »
Thank you both for sharing your opinion with me. I think that after a few months I am going to go in search of having a hearing test done again and seeking a second opinion. I am not sure I trust the information I got. I mean I am so thankful that I do still have hearing in both ears... but it gets frustrating sometimes. :)