Author Topic: Scholarship info for the youngsters  (Read 2271 times)

Battyp

Scholarship info for the youngsters
« on: June 09, 2007, 12:10:21 pm »
Scholarships for Survivors, Patient Advocate Foundation

These college scholarships are intended to "provide support to a person seeking to initiate or complete a course of study that has been interrupted or delayed by a diagnosis of cancer or other critical or life threatening disease." Ten scholarships of $2000 each are awarded each year.

You can find more information and download an application here: http://www.patientadvocate.org/events.php?p=69

(Sponsored by: Patient Advocate Foundation, Novartis Oncology Survivorship Fund, Alza Corporation Scholarship, Nexell's Chance for Sucess Award, Amgen Scholarship.)

Or write to this address for an application:

Patient Advocate Foundation
700 Thimble Shoals Blvd, Suite 200
Newport News, VA 23606
(800) 532-5274

The Tim & Tom Gullikson Foundation

Sponsors a college scholarship program for brain tumor patients returning to school.

Contact: Donna Doherty at: 203-483-4313 or toll-free at 1-888-Gullikson

Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation of the United States (PBTFUS)

PBTFUS offers college scholarships for brain tumor survivors. The deadlines for the application are June 1st and Dec. 1st; an essay is required, as well as proof of brain tumor diagnosis, GPA, intent to register for college, high school transcripts, and recommendations. More information is available from PBTFUS:

National Family Support Program Coordinator
Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation of the United States
302 Ridgefield Ct.
Asheville, NC 28806
800-253-6530
familysupport@pbtfus.org
http://www.pbtfus.org/

How to Find Other Scholarships
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 12:16:02 pm by battyprincess »

chrissmom

Re: Scholarship info for the youngsters
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 03:47:32 pm »
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for finding this.  The deadline has passed for this year (on the first link) but we can try for next year.  The second link lookis interesting.  I think I'll check on it.  Chris is heading back to college in August.  We hope he will do well.  He still has trouble with writing but most professors put notes online these days.  We have registered with the Office of Students with disabilities.  We've never had to do that before so this is all new. 

Let us know how school is going for you.  Did you experience any hearing problems ?

P.S.  I'm finally on vacation...school is out ! Yeah......
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 03:51:59 pm by chrissmom »

Battyp

Re: Scholarship info for the youngsters
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:50:47 am »
I'm doing online school so hearing isn't a problem....
It is overwhelming after my first class disclosed to ADA.
I was able to get my books sent printed vs having to read everything on the computer.  Plus I have extra time to complete assignments which came in  handy this last class.  They will provide accomodations and depending on how helpful the ada person is will depend on what you are offered.  Some of it requires just a doctor note with diagnosis and some require the doctor to specifically state the student needs________  chris should be able to tell what will help him I suggest you make a list as he learns to make sure he addresses his needs. 

I'm always an email away if I can help!  So far I've earned two A's...only 16 more to go  LOL

Michelle