Author Topic: bad news  (Read 4445 times)

lora

bad news
« on: May 24, 2007, 03:05:50 pm »
Well, out of my 4.7 cm or so AN the MRI showed they got about half.  The doc wants to go back in using a suboccipital approach this time or  maybe go to Memphis or LA to get the rest dealt with--not in a few years like I hoped for but in a few weeks--it is still on the brainstem.  Truthfully, I don't know if I can deal with this again.  I started out great guns, but am now 6 weeks out and am so dizzy I can hardly walk and the thought of doing all this again makes me cry.  I have to debate with myself as to even bother.  Has anyone else had to "go back in" and was it easier?  Please help...     
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: bad news
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:02:15 pm »
Lora,
  Sorry to hear that one round of treatment may not be enough.  There are several people on this site that have gone through multiple surgeries, as well as people who have had surgery followed by radiosurgery.   Take your time in deciding what to do.  You had a large AN, so it's not surprising that your recovery is taking a while.  Things will get better.  Good luck to you.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

cookiesecond

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 10:15:45 pm »
Lora,
I am so sorry to hear this. I know it is our great fear. You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I pray for peace and wisdom as you face these decisions and lots of love and support to see you through!!!
Please keep in touch,
Lynn

lora

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:24:50 pm »
Thank y'all for your words of support and kindness--only one who is in my boat knows how hard it is to paddle sometimes!  Lora

4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 11:06:59 pm »
Dear Lora, please keep us informed about your situation. I guess we all live with the fear of going back in. You had such a big tumor. I'm so glad you're alive and well though! It will all pass; you will get through this. I'm praying for you.  Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 09:38:14 pm »
It will be ok I had to have two surgeries to get all my AN out, but I only had to wait about 10 days.   :( For some reason this seemed like having a baby you just knew you had to have it no matter what. your in my prayers. Good luck and God Bless ::)
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 07:16:11 am »
Lora: I went back into surgery for a regrowth 15 years after my initial surgery, the doctor's don't know if possibly there was some of the orginal tumor left behind the first time around and it grew or if I was talented enough to just grow another. I understand your not wanting to go back in but I think I would have liked to not have so many years inbetween. I felt as though I had put it all behind me and I had moved on. I don't think either way is nice though but certainly if I had known that they hadn't gotten it all the first time around I would have been back in there as soon as I could to get it out so I could move on without having it looming over my head (pardon the pun).
Best of wishes for better health
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

FlyersFan68

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 10:58:10 am »
Some people don't have much choice and certainly need a second surgery but sometimes leaving a tiny piece behind to presrve the facial to it's fullest potential doesn't always mean that the tumor will regrow. I found this article that I found interesting and wanted to share. It just keeps getting more interesting.
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a713653134~db=all

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 09:00:22 pm »
Lora: read Jim Scotts posts if you can- he debulked his tumor then had gamma knife radiation.  I have a 2.5CM ish tumor, it was suggested to me that I debulk with surgery, then do gamma knife. I opted for CK treatment at Stanford as I had some time to research and no brain stem issues like you are facing. Man, you have a big tumor girl- no wonder you are feeling like ..... :'(  Take care of yourself and keep us updated on your progress... Love always, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 10:08:22 pm »
LORA!!! I wOULD NEVER WANT TO GO BACK! to that Dizzyagain. Keep your hopes up! PRayers are with you.
JERSEY GIRL had to go back too for some type of AN remission, last time I heard she was seeing Shahinian at the start of JUNE and I have not heard from her.
Mine was a large tumor and Shahinian supossedly got it all. Although I am feeling tingle on my tung again.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 12:12:52 pm »
Hi, Lora:

Pearchica is correct.  If you look at my signature at the bottom of this post you'll see that I had the 'retrosigmoid approach' microsurgery to debulk my 4.5 AN, then underwent 26 radiation treatments (FSR, not Gamma Knife).  Because the surgeon avoided disturbing the facial/cranial nerves, I had little-to-no post-op complications.  I'm fine, now.  I believe the surgery + radiation procedure will become more and more common for dealing with large AN tumors.  Trying to 'get it all', as was the case until recently, often caused the surgeon to cut or disturb critical nerves that left the patient with 'damage'.  This way (surgery, then radiation) the surgeon can cut down the (big) tumor, cutting off it's blood supply, then use FSR to kill it's DNA.  My AN shows definite signs of necrosis, which attests to the efficacy of this approach.  My AN symptoms are almost completely gone and my balance is now close to what it once was. 

You may want to get a second opinion and not simply accept what this doctor tells you.  Frankly, I would question whether you really need a second surgery, with all the possible complications that entails, when radiation is available and proven effective on smaller AN tumors. 

I wish you all the best and hope this works out to your ultimate benefit.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.