Author Topic: schwannoma acoustic neuroma  (Read 1795 times)

meredith

schwannoma acoustic neuroma
« on: May 24, 2007, 01:01:38 pm »
 ??? 24 months ago I had cyber knife at Stanford Hospital I just started having a metal taste about 2 weeks ago, my surgeon is out of the country has anyone heard of this

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: schwannoma acoustic neuroma
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 04:08:10 pm »
Hi, meredith:

Strange things often follow AN radiation treatment (and surgery) that are all relatively 'normal', under the circumstances.  I'm not sure what is happening but I would consult another doctor if the 'metal taste' continues much longer and he remains unavailable.  He should have someone 'filling in' for him.  Ask.  You shouldn't have to remain in suspense while your doctor is absent.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Betsy

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 06:55:03 pm »
Hello Meredith,

Are you having the metal taste all the time, or does it come and go?  Is the taste associated with any other symptoms?

When that happens to me, I know I better sit down 'cause the crazy vertigo is coming.  The taste seems to start from the sides of my tongue, then after about a minute the room starts tumbling and I collapse.  I asked the ENT doc about it and he didn't think it was related to the AN, but that it was possibly migraine related.

You should definitely have it checked out.  There should be someone standing in for your doctor.  Let us know what happens, okay?

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 12:00:05 pm »
A lot of people have that metallic or salty taste going on.  If you search for that word you'll probably find lots of posts regarding that.  I have that on occassion myself since my GK treatment.  But always consult your doctor if you have any particular fears or concerns. I certainly wouldn't want to tell you that it's "normal" and then you not talk to your doctor about it. But our nerves do all sorts of strange things after our procedures have upset them. 

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode