Author Topic: I'M A POSTIE I'M A POSTE :::twirling:::: well not quite twirling  (Read 4412 times)

Shrnwldr

Hey guys
GOD IS GOOD!  GOD IS GREAT!  I came today. My face completely and totally intact. No swelling, no facial weakenss, no nothing zip nada.  Had some problems right out of surgery due to a nasty headache.  They kept giving me morphine to curb the pain which just made vomit really good.  Loked those calf massagers  I tried so hard to convince the hospital I really need to bring them home.  my balance I know will take time. patience and lots of walking but up for that.  I truly have been blessed to be given a fresh life!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your support, encouragement, and support.  My doctor's were da bombs!  I could not have asked for a better team.  Absolutely the best.  The hospital was top notch. The nursing always there and always helpfull with a smile on their faces.  The food well we won't go into too much detail, but the strained cream sqaush soup was the best on anything I had.  And that's my story and I am sticking to it.   I remembered that Oto was there, but was not able to see him :).  Seriously though while I would never want to have to go thorugh this again... it was a definite life changing experience.  Take care and God Bless each and everyone of you.
Sharon
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

linnilue

Re: I'M A POSTIE I'M A POSTE :::twirling:::: well not quite twirling
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 07:05:53 pm »
Fabulous!!  Congratualtions.  I hope you continue with this great recovery.  God bless.
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 07:07:57 pm »
That is wonderful news!  And it is so good to see your post so soon.  Keep up the good rest. ;D 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 08:55:59 pm »
Sharon! OMG! Congrats, you "postie"!!!!!!! :)  Now, please remember to take it easy! Heck, it's only a week and you need rest. Plu-eeeeeze listen to your body when it talks... but most of all, welcome to the "other" side of the journey!  We've been waiting for you with raised mugs o' grog! :)

congratulations!  Onward and upward to a speedy recovery!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Obita

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 06:56:08 am »
Hi Sharon:

Good to see you up and running!!

Take it real easy.....your post sounds like how I felt right after I got home.  Survivor Euphoria, my drs called it.  Be careful and don't overdue it. 

Welcome home.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 07:32:12 am »
Hey Sharon,
Glad you are home and feeling well (as well as can be expected).  Also, would like to add:  "See, there are good surgical outcomes!"  (Kinda tired of hearing about how there are not enough good surgical outcomes).  Once again, there are no WRONG decisions regarding treatment choices.  Good and bad outcomes are told with all treatments.  Sharon, keep on truckin, or walkin rather!  Listen carefully to your body as resting is a form of healing, so no overdoing even though you are feeling elated.  Remember, you want TWO steps forward not backwards as can easily happen when you do too much.  Welcome home!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Shrnwldr

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 08:27:14 am »
Thank you for all the congrats and support.  It is difficult when you do feel good, well with pressure bandages and all.  Also the steriods are giving me insominia so it is difficult to sleep.  But I lay comfortable on the couch like Queen Sheba and walk when I feel like.  My doctors (all three) warned me about a 100 times about doing anything taxiing or strenuous.  And believe me I am taking their advice very seriously.  So it is walk, rest, walk, rest, walk, resst.  I am actually seeing improvement with my balance with each. But again walk, rest, walk, rest is the order of the day!  I come on line occasionally but my eyes are still not reall stable to read or get into anything indebt.  It is weird because right now I am not even sure that I crochet or cross stitch. Idle hands are definitely making me itchy LOL. 

I see my doctor next Tuesday, I will discuss the possibility of joining a Thai Chi class afterwards  Obviously I am not going to be able to jog, lift weights etc for  a while and thought not only this would be good for balance but get some of my muscles back into tone. 
2cm x1cm, right side

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 08:52:42 am »
Hey, Queen Sheba! ;)  Will you try to rest, plu-eeeeeze!?!?  I know the steroids are having fun and all, but please try to rest. You just had a booger removed from your noggin, ya know? ;)

(hang in there, Sharon! Sending you healing huggles!)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 09:15:16 am »
Congratulations Sharon!

So glad to learn that you had a successful AN surgery and are recuperating on schedule.  I can understand your restlessness as I experienced the same thing.  I practically demanded to be discharged from the hospital after less than four days.  My surgeon was out of town but his young female assistant (also a neurosurgeon) let me go home because I was "doing so well'.  I was performing balance exercises within a few days at home and driving (with doctors permission) within two weeks, post-op.  No ill effects from any of this plunge back into 'normal' life.  I think my often-stated desire to 'get my life back' was a positive motivation for my fairly rapid recovery, so don't apologize for wanting the same thing.  We all do. 

Of course an acoustic neuroma diagnosis and subsequent surgery is life-altering but it doesn't have to be all negative, especially if you're fortunate enough to avoid post-surgical complications.  I believe we now appreciate both our life and health a lot more and are a bit less distracted by meaningless minutia, after this experience.

Don't worry about frequent posting until you're stronger and your eyesight has improved, which it surely will.  Mine did.  I had some mild double vision for a few days, post-op, but read a bit, anyway, at least as much as I could, and it disappeared within a week. 

God really is great - and time really does heal. 

Again, congratulations on your successful surgery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Shrnwldr

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 12:48:59 pm »
Hi everyone,
Today is weird  I ti slike I crashed. I started taking less steroids today.  I don't know if I may have mistakenly taken the wrong pills this morning or what.  I do have a sleeping pill because the steroids have a tendency to make you wired, but today my body is so heavy.  I am not use to having to take medication and I am having to read bottls and really think about what I am putting into my mouth.
Good news the walking is going great.  I can almost get around my condo complex without aid. 

Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Sharon
2cm x1cm, right side

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 01:24:43 pm »
CONGRATULATIONS SHARON!  It is great to read a positive post.  You are doing fantastic to be posting this early.  Don't overdo because you will pay for it later if you do.  One thing I have learned from this experience is that change is not all bad.  I do need a sign to wear on my right side reminding people to speak to my "good" ear!  It has taken some getting used to.  For example the other day I answered the phone and absent mindedly put the receiver to my deaf ear....I kept saying "I can't hear you" and then realized what I had done.  My husband and daughter (and me) all had a good laugh.  When I get really tired, my tinnitus is much louder and my walk becomes a stagger so I have learned my limits.  Sending you lots of healing prayers and hugs!
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results