Author Topic: Trans Ear  (Read 22720 times)

okiesandy

Re: Trans Ear
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 02:08:07 pm »
What alternatives? I am not a BAHA candadate and nothing else seems to work. Do you know something we don't? Share if you do.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

DWSSD

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 07:45:55 pm »
I'd like to address Windsongs Question,

First of all, you are right. The thing shouldn't hurt. You might have some discomfort putting it in, but after that it shouldn't hurt. And if it does  (like mine did) then you have to go back to your Audi and correct it. But this is a slow process. For it to work well  you need a tight fit. The corrections have to be slight to prevent the loss of bone conduction.

I went back twice and am happy to report that we got it right this time.
I wore my TransEar all day (and am still wearing it).

I just wanted to add that the discomfort I had was mild soreness. I'm sure it doesn't even compare to the pain one feels recovering from the BAHA surgery.

DWSSD

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 09:22:23 pm »
Question:

Anyone out there with the new TransEar Model having trouble with the wire?
I've had mine about a month, and with my fit issues I really haven't been wearing it that much.
Yet my wire broke. It might have been damaged when my Dr. was grinding on it to correct the fit, but I'm still concerned.
Seems to me that it shouldn't be that fragile.
Anyone having similar problems?
Thanks,
 Dan

Boppie

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2007, 09:41:13 pm »
Dan, I sure hope you get your wire issues settled.  Congratulations on your fitting graduation.  ;D

My audiologist said the parts that cause the most trouble for all hearing aid customers are the wire connection, on/off switches, and the battery door; on/off switch usually goes first.  Just like any other mechanical thing.  Is the wire connection in your grip when you insert or take it out?  I was cautioned about finding an approach to avoid this. 

So far, I haven't yet had a broken wire problem.  My wire is the hard older one on my TransEAr 1.  I am considering going for an upgrade to a 207 in future.  The hard wire torques in my ear due to an oddity of anatomy for me.  So the wire works well but it wants to flop off my ear lobe.  As I said my ear canal turns oddly and I can't use a longer wire, I just need a soft wire. 

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:44:38 pm by Boppie »

DWSSD

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2007, 03:45:52 pm »
Thanks Boppie,

I try to never handle my TransEar by the wire. I was warned by my Dr. not to. That's why I'm surprised to be having trouble with it this soon. I'm wondering if they have a problem with this new flexible wire.

My wire broke at the connection for the BTE unit. My Dr. had me bring it in so he could look at it, and while he was handleing it the connection for the ITE unit broke. What do you make of that?
Thanks
Dan

Jeanlea

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »
I have the TransEar II, but I've not had any troubles with the wire.  I turn it off by opening the battery door most of the time.  As far as I understand the on off switch is the same as the volume dial.  Dan, hope you get your wire problems fixed soon.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2007, 05:49:39 pm »
Dan,

I had wire troubles after a month an a half. I notified my audiologist and discussed it in this forum. My audiologist contacted TranEar and TransEar read my posting about the problem. My wire didn't break off but just stopped everything from working.

TransEar stood behind the product and I was sent a new wire. It is working fine now.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

DWSSD

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2007, 03:48:55 pm »
Just got my new wire on Friday.  :D
Glad to be able to use my TransEar. I really missed it. There was a problem with the shipping and apparently it got lost, but Ear Technology Fed Exed me another.

My Dr. asked for a shorter wire. My first one was too long and the BTE unit was riding back too far so the microphone wasn't picking up from the forward direction.  The new one is much better.

I asked if they knew of a problem with the wire and was told "yes there was a problem with the connections, but they have corrected it".  So be aware of that if you have the new flexible wire.

Dan

okiesandy

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2007, 07:03:02 pm »
Transear back for repairs again. Wire again. It just falls out of its connection and then never works again. I was told by Rick that there was not a problem with the wire.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

DWSSD

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2007, 04:23:02 pm »
I just wanted to get back to Jeanlea about something.  You mentioned that you turn yours on/off by opening the battery compartment. I have a TransEar user friend from another forum who just contacted me.  His unit broke where the battery fits. That little piece of plastic is delecate, so be careful especially when closing it up.

Dan

Jeanlea

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2007, 08:10:06 pm »
Thanks for the advice, Dan.  Today for the first time I turned it off by dialing it off.  I was touring a paper mill and a then a sawmill.  Only had to put an earplug in one though.  :-)

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

ChrisB

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2007, 10:16:46 pm »
Just a quick check in (been following in the background).  I'm the person Dan (DWSSD) referred to with the broken battery door.  I just got back my old TransEar today - along with a brand new ITE part!  They replaced the battery door on the BTE piece so I got the old BTE portion back and didn't have to go through reprogramming the processor again.  They - on their own - made a new one because they noticed that my audiologist had used a grinder on mine when it initially wore a significant ulcer in my ear canal in the beginning.  They said that only fine sandpaper should be used, as a grinder will take off too much and the unit won't be able to conduct as much vibration to the bone (thereby cutting down on perceived volume in the good ear).

IT'S GREAT!  I suspect I'm going to have to have this one slightly sanded down, since I believe they used the original mold meaning it will have that same "high spot" on it.  But this time we can get it sanded down a little at a time to ONLY as much as needed.  Larren (sp?) at Ear Technology said that only about the thickness of a thin layer of skin normally needs to be taken off to establish comfort.  I want to note that while in, even now, IT DOES NOT HURT - and it shouldn't, for those who're putting up with pain.  I just know it's tight because I can feel the tightness and there's a bit of a burning sensation in about the same spot as where the ulcer was back around February.

Yes, there are some new small company problems, but one thing this company has is a true "get it right" attitude.  And I can honestly say, I was much happier today with my TransEar back in after more than 2 weeks.  Hopefully we've got the kinks worked out now (other than a little bit of light sanding to keep me from getting another nasty ulcer (or worse - down to the bone) again.  But that's workable.

(Dan - they replaced it with the full shell.  I elected not to pay the extra to "upgrade" to the half-shell like you have.  I'm perfectly happy with the full shell, i.e. it doesn't bother me to have it rather than the half-shell.  And they told me they believe they've got the problems with the flexible wires resolved.  I asked if they're more prone to breaking because of the frequent flexing and flopping when we put it in and take it out and put it in and out of the Dry&Store.  She said the flexible wires are actually designed to be able to flex, and they should last longer than the older, standard stiff wire.)

ChrisB

matti

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 11:49:26 am »
TransEar refused to give up one me and I am not sure many hearing aid companies would have gone the distance like Transear. I ended up having 7 remakes and I know they would have continued to try and make if work.  I turned out to be in the small percentage that it does not work for  :(

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

DWSSD

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2007, 11:10:21 pm »
I agree that the Ear Technology folks are "can do", and really "take care" of their users. I've had some problems and when I called them to address them I never felt like I was geting passed off to the "Complaint Department".  For a small company doing business nation-wide their care is impressive.  As they grow I hope they don't lose that.

Hey Chris
Great to hear your back on track and didn't have to go through all the programming hassles again.  Was wondering how you've been.
Thanks to you and your posts (elsewhere) I'm a happy TransEar User today.

Dan

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 11:12:55 am »
I'd like to address Windsongs Question,

First of all, you are right. The thing shouldn't hurt. You might have some discomfort putting it in, but after that it shouldn't hurt. And if it does  (like mine did) then you have to go back to your Audi and correct it. But this is a slow process. For it to work well  you need a tight fit. The corrections have to be slight to prevent the loss of bone conduction.

I went back twice and am happy to report that we got it right this time.
I wore my TransEar all day (and am still wearing it).

I just wanted to add that the discomfort I had was mild soreness. I'm sure it doesn't even compare to the pain one feels recovering from the BAHA surgery.
I've had my transear for over two months and never wear it. Painful and irritating. Itchy. Swelled my inner ear up red.
Have to have the "volume" up HIGH-meaning high vibration to get bone conduction-which in turn irritated the thin layer of skin on the bone. Extrememly uncomfortable and not worth the trade off to get a "little" surround sound.
May consider taking it to audiologist again to fine tune it to get comfort fit.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06