Author Topic: Trans Ear  (Read 22718 times)

Cynaburst

Re: Trans Ear
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 02:37:28 pm »
I have had my Transear for one week today.  I had to have it sanded a little yesterday, and the audiologist re-programmed it, but I am having pretty good success with the device.  It takes a little getting used to in the ear canal, but it is basically comfortable, esp. after my visit yesterday.  I was able to have a telephone conversation in a quiet room with my DEAF ear.  I am definitely getting more and more out of it every day, and I have been breaking it in gradually.  Yesterday I was up to 4.5 hours, and am adding .5 hours every day. 

Ixta, yours definitely needs an adjustment.  Mine was vibrating like you describe, and I took it in yesterday for reprogramming, and now I can hear and don't feel the vibrating in the ear canal.  Anyway, so far, so good for me.  I am encouraged by my experience so far, but you might have to work at it a little bit.  It is not instant and automatic.

DWSSD

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2007, 07:11:29 pm »
Thought I was done with the fit, but developed another sore in my ear and had to go back.  Cynaburst and I go to the same Audiologist.  He fitted her and another patient after me, and neither has had the fit problems I have.  This was my fourth adjustment.  My Dr. says that's as far as he can sand down.  If this doesn't take care of it we'll have to make another impression and send the unit back for a remake.  Can't wear it until my ear heals.  Hope this takes care of it once and for all, and I don't lose any performance. 

Dan

travel2ski

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2007, 06:26:56 am »
I just received my Transear and have worn it a couple of days.  I have not seen any of the hearing improvement that has been written about here and need to get a feel for what I can expect.  My audiologist has only fitted one other Transear, and that person returned it.  I am committed to get this thing to work, but I need to have an idea of what kind of improvement to aim for.  With that in mind, I can return to her for some reprogramming.  Any suggestions?  Also, is there anything that can make inserting the unit any easier and less painful?  Once it's in my ear it feels OK.
1.7 cm removed at HEI by Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 4/12/07.  CSF leakage, lost hearing.  Getting better every day.

Cynaburst

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2007, 03:23:16 pm »
Travel - When I responded to your e-mail, I forgot to mention that when putting the Transear in, make sure to use some sort of lubricant. The stuff my doc gave me is called Oto-Slik, and I have read that others used Aura Gel in the past.  I find that makes the fit feel better.

I have read where Boppie and others say that they can hear about 1/3 as much with the Transear as they do in their good ear.  I would say that is true for me.

Boppie

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2007, 06:56:21 pm »
Travel, I found that with the proper amount of lubricant I can make the unit slide in easily.  In the beginning I was pushing too hard on the tight spot.  When you put the unit in, it reaches that tight spot and it needs to slide slowly past there.  Once you feel the slide in, make sure to stop pushing.  There is a tender place against the back wall that is quite sensitive to pressure.

One other point, the ear piece was built with the wire coming out the top pointing toward 11 o'clock.  Then the wire arches up and back over the ear. Using a mirror you want to hold and tilt the piece forward (toward your cheek) with that wire mount pointing toward 11:00 as you begin pushing the unit in.  If your get the habit of this grasp position you will find it not painful on insert.  Take a look at Andy's posts in the hearing issues folder.  He has posted a photo showing how the unit looks in his ear.  I can send my photo of the unit in my ear to your personal address if you request it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 06:32:50 pm by Boppie »

DWSSD

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2007, 09:49:41 pm »
Hello Travel:  Do you notice any benefit at all? If you plug your good ear can you tell if it's on?  If  you can't than there might be a problem with your unit, the wire, or the programming.  If you hear something then maybe you just need the gain boosted, and a that can be done with an adjustment to the program.

The fit is another issue.  I've got some experience here.  There's a technique to putting it in that takes some getting used to.  Every ear is diifferent, but most people figure it out for themselves in days rather than weeks.  You can try giving it a twist back when it gets to the tight spot the Boopie talked about, but not too much.  The Ear-Tech folks can help. Give them a call.

I just know that it shouldn't hurt your ear.  If it does then you need to address that before you develope a nasty sore in your ear.

ladyharley

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2007, 09:09:53 am »
Hello..

I supposed to get a trans ear hearing aid.  I have a concern.  I'd like to ask anyone on this forum who currently uses one, if they can hear on the telephone out of their bad ear using this hearing aid?  I told the audiologist that I had lost an improperly fitted hearing aid but with it I could hear with my bad ear on the phone. I just want to make sure I can do the same thing with this "trans ear".

Thanks..

Boppie

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2007, 10:07:40 am »
My TransEar hears low and soft on the the phone.  In a room where other talking is going on I would't rely on the TransEar side for phone.  I use my good ear. 

The problem is background noise in the good ear interferes with low sound for SSD.  So I find it best to use my good ear for the phone.   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 03:55:44 pm by Boppie »

ladyharley

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2007, 11:25:05 am »
Thanks Bobbie, I was afraid of that.  I specifically mentioned that I used to have a hearing aid that allowed me to hear on the phone, the only problem was the switch kept switching off with the holes in the ear piece of the phone...if this one doesn't...I don't want it.  I've adapted to adjusting where noise comes from.  I just am tired of using one hear and the stress it creates at the end of the day, and employers calling me a stupid blonde that can't hear.

Thanks..

Boppie

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2007, 03:54:12 pm »
TransEar do not use the phone listening switch technology that a few other in the ear aids use.  If I turn my aid up high I can hear the phone fine but the mic squeals from the headset touching and coming close to it.  Albeit, in a pinch I could do a conversation with my TransEar side but I wouldn't want this as a habit.

ladyharley

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2007, 05:24:34 pm »
It's frustrating that the audiologist just assumes that this is the best hearing aid and not even discussing what problems are the worst for me.  I have a severe sudden hearing loss in one ear and it's quite stressful.

Cynaburst

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2007, 10:55:55 pm »
So I had a long appt. with my audiologist today.  He reprogrammed the device to make it louder, and then he put me in the booth.  My word discrimination score without the Transear was about 20% or so in the bad ear.  When I put the newly re-programmed Transear in my score was up to 72%. 

It definitely helps me hear people talking on my bad side, and I can have a telephone conversation with the bad ear or hear someone whispering in my ear.  It is not always perfect, but its definitely better than what I had before.  I also think that today's adjustment will help.  I have had the Transear for 3 weeks now, and am wearing it for about 12 hours a day.  It is comfortable now although it did take a little sanding.

I would encourage those on the fence to try it out.  It is definitely worth it, although it may take some work.