Author Topic: Trans Ear  (Read 22719 times)

Catflower

Trans Ear
« on: May 12, 2007, 05:45:01 pm »
Is there a website with information about Trans Ear that I could print out and take to my ENT appointment.  The folks here have just begun using the BAHA so they're real excited about that, but I would like to present them with more information.

Boppie

Re: Trans Ear
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 06:08:10 pm »
http://transear.com     It is all there

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:59:24 am »
Well folks, around two  month and my TransEar decided to stop working. :( I called my Audiologist and he thinks it's the wire. I have taken very good care of the TransEar since I purchased it. I hope that the wires last longer than 1 month each. It started to intermitently work a couple of days ago. It seems to be the connection to the ear piece. If you wiggled it there it would buzz then stop. Now it's just dead.

I hope he can fix it soon. I'm back to closed caption TV and asking everyone to repeat themselves constantly. 
Anyone else have any problems?

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 12:29:32 pm »
My audiologist said if I ever needed a repair she could probably put in new wires (if TransEar sends them).  She also, said, wires are a problem with BTE parts.  We handle them so much upon insertion where the ITE mold requires a firm push.  I am sorry this happened to you.  I wouldn't like it.  Please let me know how this works out for you.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 12:32:02 pm by Boppie »

Catflower

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 06:05:59 pm »
I was just wondering why folks have picked Trans Ear over BAHA. 

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 10:21:06 pm »
Essentially, BAHA requires having the post put into the skull bone so that it can become a permanent port for the BAHA processor.  This is a surgical procedure and many people just don't want more surgery.  BAHA is very expensive due to the surgery.  Some insurance companies will cover it and some will not. 

However, I have no doubts that BAHA would have worked for me.  I tried the test band.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 10:22:37 pm by Boppie »

matti

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 01:45:17 pm »
Dan - I had a similar issue with my Transear and it was the wire. When my audiologist ordered my TransEar she put in an order for an extra wire. She has found that there are frequent malfunctions.

My TransEar update:

After 9 months and 7 remakes, both TransEar and I have decided that I am in the small percentage of people that it does not work for. Could be poor bone conduction or some other anatomical issue.  I was of course disappointed, as was Transear.

Catflower - I chose TransEar because I still have extreme head sensitivity after 9 years and my surgeons feel that BAHA surgery might be a problem. I did however use the BAHA test band for a week and was able to hear.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jeanlea

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 07:41:36 pm »
Catflower,

I chose the TransEar over BAHA because it is much easier for me to put the earpiece in my ear than it would have been to have the surgery to implant the BAHA post.  When I take it out, I have nothing left on my head.  I didn't want anything permanent.  I'm hoping that there will be something even better to come along in the future. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

okiesandy

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 10:13:35 am »
I chose the transear because I didn't need a extra hole in my head. Not everyone is pleased with the BAHA. If not then a very expensive and time consuming process and then what do you do the a screw in your head?

Transear is not working for me either. I have excellent bone conducted hearing. I am going to keep trying and see if the next one is the one that will work. I must say I am getting a little frustrated. I hear a couple of companies are working on a bone conduction aid. Just wait, with all of the baby boomers having hearing problems it won't be long until a better product appears.

I was looking at a fully implantable hearing aid with no outside processor on the intenet last week. I can't have that because of the magnet and the fact that I had CK.

Think I will just hang a big sign on my neck and say if you want to talk to me speak up.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 10:29:37 am »
I am going the phonak route and a bi cross. It was determined that with my head sensitivity I would not handle the transear well. When they did the bone conduction test to see if I could hear that route it was painfu.  Taking my impressions on my an ear was very uncomfortable as well.  So I don't think I could handle sticking something in my ear on a regular basis.
I was not a candidate for Baha, no explanation given by the audiologist.  The thought of screwing something into my head gave me the ibbie jeebies.

okiesandy

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 11:39:23 am »
Ok, Dan I know I told you in a personal email that I didn't have a problem with the Transear wire. Next day it fell out from behind my ear with the wire broken. Now the whole unit is back with the Audiologist.

Still no word on when I will get the new mold or the transear fixed. As I said no sound what so ever out of the last unit. I did go to my neurotologist and his audiologist said the unit is not close enough to my bone to conduct sound to any degree. She just looked at it and used the scope to show me where it should fit for best effect. She said she does not fit them. Doesn't want involved in any way. She ask if I had considered wireless cross. Guess that could be the next step. I do have my fingers crossed that number what ever it is now will work when I get it. The problem seems to be the very tip of the part that goes in the ear canal (closest to the ear drum). That little tip goes crazy buzzing and vibrating.  On the previous one I could hear if I pushed the little pointy thing down on the out side of the ear. It would put enough pressure on the inside to hear something.

We are going to Las Vegas for my Grandaughters 21 first Birthday. Suite at Belligo (sp) Airline tickets and meals all paid for by my son-in-law. All I can do is dread it because there are 10 of us and I can't hear. I hope I get the new one back and it works.  It is a little hard to place your seating so you can hear 9 other people talking. Does frustration show? I am not often down. However, this is really depressing for me. I only have a certain number of years that I will be able to hear at all because the AIED will more than likely take all of my hearing sooner or later. So much for my whining. I promise not to keep it up.

Sandy

Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

DWSSD

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 06:43:43 pm »
Hello All,
I'm new to your group, but have been following for a few months now. You've been a big help and I  decided to get a TransEar. I've had it a few weeks now. I had to go back to my Dr. after two weeks to work on the fit because it was making my ear sore. Seems alittle better, but I'm not sure if we're done fine tuning the fit.
But the thing works great! Better than I expected really.
Anyway my question is:
How long does it take to get use to the ITE unit? How many hours a day do you wear it? I still have a little pain putting it in? Think that will go away or should I reschedule with my Dr.?
Thanks,
Dan

Windsong

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 07:04:53 pm »
I'm going with the Phonak Savia Art.... with the remote control... it should help lol and i will be trying out the bi cross too for input from the other side (the dead one)....

anybody else in that storm front today? that pressure change hurt but at least we didn't get a tornado where I am thank goodness ( i was out in it) and much as i find storms exhilarating this sky and wind and rain was scary....

Boppie

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 07:12:37 pm »
Dan, If you have real pain as it slides in with plenty of Auragel then you'd need a slight adjustment.  Sometimes mine is a a little more difficult to get in if I've just finished a warm shower, but not painful.  It might require more pressure to go in but I can close my jaw and it goes in better.  But as I said, I wouldn't say I have "pain".  It is tricky to get the right amount sanded off while not taking too much away from the contact surfaces. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 01:05:22 pm by Boppie »

DWSSD

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 11:06:10 am »
Thanks Boppie,
I think I'll call my Dr. for an adjustment.