Author Topic: Ear plugs for wind?...  (Read 5719 times)

Windsong

Ear plugs for wind?...
« on: April 24, 2007, 09:51:13 am »
What is the best ear plug to wear when you still need ventilation for a malfunctioning eardrum and eustachian tube dysfunction/or inflammation inside your ears?

This past weekend was very windy here and after being out in for some hours in the country i was left with big time brutal ear aches for two nights. Almost half my eardrum is gone (a hole) in My An side so maybe that has something to do with this. In a pinch i stuffed in cotton balls but they fell out and got lost in the underbrush.....

Thanks,
W.

lmurray69

Re: Ear plugs for wind?...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 09:48:41 pm »
I use cotton but they have a spong type that fits in the ear. I know that i have had a ear infection sence surgery in NOv. I dont seem to get a kick on it..so i know what you are goin gthrew.. good luck
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 06:46:30 am »
Hi W,

Don't know about long-term usage, meaning hours on end, but I wear the "swimmers" ear plug.  Very soft rubber, cork-screw design, and I cut off the string.  I wear them all the time I go out here in S. Florida.  I found windy days, cars wizzing by on wet streets, and large trucks cause me to 'wince' and this upsets my dog while I'm walking.  So in order to keep him calm I just pop the plug in no matter what the conditions because I will never know about the occasional startling loud noise.  Hope this helps.  As I stated earlier I'm not sure about wearing these for hours as they fit tight enough to keep water out.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Shrnwldr

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 09:44:03 am »
What about a musician ear plug? 
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

mema

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 03:47:20 pm »
Windsong,                                                                                                                                                                               

Riding a bike caused alot of wind in my ear and consequently earaches.  After trying many type earplugs the one that works best for me is called Flents Quiet please, foam ear[plugs.                                                                                                                                   

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Windsong

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 05:35:22 pm »
Thanks everyone... i tried the foam ones but I find that I have to take them out after a while... I did get a presc. for custom made ones from my neurotologist which i haven't filled yet as I was waiting for some ear pain to go away lol... but i will be seeing about getting that done soon along with finally getting around to seeing about the phonak hearing aid.... i was waiting re that as I wanted to see if my hearing stayed stable before i got them  plus for that of course i will have a trial period too... hopefully the custom plugs will help for when i don't want to hear noise lol... i was at this workshop last week and the fan with the a/c was  sooo loud to me like a screaming freight train as soon as i walked into the room :o.. i found it quite disorienting but it clicked off soon... then again i had to stuff cotton batten in my ears at an appt the other day 'cause the fans there bothered me too....

interesting that some of the rest of you have probs with wind too... i noticed even the An cheek side can sting sometimes if the wind is strong...
W.

mema

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 06:51:56 am »
Windsong,                                                                                                                                                                               

Just an update on my wearing ear plugs for the wind and other noises.  They also gave me earaches from the pressure.  My ENT said even hearing aid would probably effect me the same.  So no more earplugs for me.                                                                                               

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Windsong

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 05:03:12 pm »
Hi Mema,

Well a month has gone by since my last post on this thread and I have to admit I have not filled the presc for the plugs... i might actually do what my ear doc told me in the first place which is carry with me some cotton puffs as at least some air can get through....

I have noticed that wind on my face can bring symptoms  on my face even if it's a hot summer wind. At first I thought it was only the cold winter ones......

be well,
W.