Author Topic: Stupid Question - Can I wear my glasses after surgery?  (Read 13429 times)

OTO

Stupid Question - Can I wear my glasses after surgery?
« on: April 13, 2007, 08:12:42 pm »
I have surgery scheduled in May.   Will I be able to wear my glasses when I wake up?     just curious if your glasses fit over the bandage or if my ear will be covered up???  Should I bring an old pair and take off the ear piece on the side...  The things I'm thinking of... as I get psyched up to go to LA.... 

Without my glasses I'm legally blind, so it would be nice to be able to recognize who I'm talking too... 

OTO

1wareagle

Re: Stupid Question - Can I wear my glasses after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 08:36:24 pm »
OTO,

I got out my pictures to see how my bandages looked and unless you take off one side of your glasses you will not be able to wear them right after surgery. I only need them to see close up, so I never tried to put them on till after the head dressing was taken off a few days later.The head bandage covers the ear with larger packing under it.

Good Luck, Ellis

P.S. I just saw that you were having the middle fossa surgery. I had translab and I'm not sure if the bandages are in the same place.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 08:41:14 pm by 1wareagle »
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 08:36:57 pm »
Hi OTO:  I had retrosigmoid - no bandage - just some tape hanging in my hair   lol
I don't think you'll need glasses the first day or so, but bring an old pair for when you start walking around day 2 or 3.....
I wish you all the best my friend, it's quite a time you'll have post op,   for me it was a rollercoaster gone out of control....
but, life does get better,   for me it took months......
Wishing you good thoughts on your journey,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 09:55:31 pm »
I am going to assume you will have a bandage somewhere, and a very sensitive incision with a bit of swelling in that area that doesn't allow eyeglass earpieces.  After the time that you are out of bed walking you might want your glasses to help your eyes focus.  That depends on the reason you wear glasses.  Are you near sighted?  As for being farsighted forget the glasses as you won't be reading for a few days or weeks. 

If you need to take your glasses to the hospital you can remove one of the side pieces and manage to keep them on your face enough to see while walking, moving around in the halls to get going.  Seeing the horizon and focusing straight ahead is fairly important in regaining balance.  My glasses just made me feel more normal.  ;D  As if I came close to feeling or looking normal in the hospital.   ::)

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:59:47 pm »
OTO, I just read your post...Your doctor will make some important visits to your room and you'll want to see his face and lips when he speaks.  It is a good idea to have those altered glasses with you.

cookiesecond

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 08:24:07 am »
I wear contacts but knowing I couldn't for awhile, I took my glasses to the hospital. I asked these questions before surgery too! I asked about contacts  and was told not to be so vain and wear my glasses. It wasn't a vanity issue, I am just used to my contacts and feel I see better with them! However, I got along fine with my glasses for about 6 weeks due to my hospital stay and the dry eye issue eventhough my eyes got better fast. My dad did take the leg off my glasses on my bandaged side. I felt more normal with my glasses. Actually, I asked for them in recovery.With everything else working to make you off balance and dizzy, being able to see really helped. I had translab so I lost my hearing and balance nerve on my AN side. I had already lost most of my hearing but it still took some adjusting.I am praying for a good recovey and peace during this waiting time.
Take care,
Lynn

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 08:41:03 am »
I can't see without my glasses so there was no choice for me.  I still wear a pair without the right bow a lot of the time after nineteen months because that side is still sensitive.  I also had translab.  When I wear the other pairs I wear the bow down on my ear, which is neither attraction or comfortable but I see better.  Contacts don't work for me.  I'm sure your head won't be as soft as mine and you will do fine with your glasses once the bandage is off and the sensitivity goes away.  Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

er

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 09:18:45 am »
Hi OTO

I didn't have a bandage. Actually I don't even know if they stitched me up. And my scare like all the others was the size of a horseshoe.

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 12:00:09 pm »
OTO, as soon as my bandage came off, I was able to wear my glasses with the ear piece put back on.  The optician molded and shaped the ear piece to go out around the incision.

Shrnwldr

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 01:28:34 pm »
Oh geesh  I have those graduating bi-focals  and if they are even a little askew it becomes an "issue" 
How does your bandage stay on?   I won't be able to wear my glasses until it is removed?  hmmmmmm  Well back to the ole drawing board :::laughing:::::  This is why I just love this board.  I would have never not in a million years thought of this...
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Boppie

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 08:29:33 pm »
Translab bandage is wrapped like a lopsided turban.  The gauze on the surgery side droops down and across the ear.  I pinned a safety pin on the gauze and propped my trifocals frame on that.  They took my bandage off after two or three days in the hospital. 

Shrnwldr

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 08:34:00 am »
That's a good idea Boppie.....  :::making note to take safety pin with me:::::::
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

jts

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »
I had the middle crania fossa done last June.  It just happens that my glasses (an old pair) has the spring in the bow that allows it to open wider than necessary for normal wear.  My bandage went around my head and had a big donut of gauze just over the ear.  I left the bow on and stuck it into the bandage.  With just a little fussing I was able to adjust it for acceptable positioning.  Certainly wasn't as good as when the bandage came off - but it worked and the glasses stayed firmly on my head.  I took an old pair of glasses because with the cost of my good (and recently new) glasses I wasn't about to let anyone remove the bow - and risk them falling off my head and breaking lenses!

Don't sweat the glasses - with a little planning ahead you can make it work.

John
58 year old male
Surgery June 8, 2006  Middle Crania Fossa
Dr. Bruce Gantz at Univ IA Hosp
13 months post op tinnitus AN side, mild unstable balance, slight lack of facial muscle control AN side, slight lisp, 10% hearing loss, eye and nose run when eating. Doing really well!

OTO

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 04:39:15 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions and reassurance.   These are the kind of questions that pop into my head in the middle of the night, then when I wake up in the morning... I have a nagging feeling that I really needed to ask someone something.  I now keep a pad and pen next to my bed and have been writing this stuff down.   Then when I get the chance I log on to this forum and ask... or I've been calling the House Clinic Counselor, Chris.

I have some even stupid'er (more stupid...) questions, but I'm even more embrassed to ask.. LOL.  As I get closer to my surgery date, I'm sure I'll be firing away with questions.

cookiesecond

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 05:31:02 pm »
Ask away! There are lots of us posties out here that would love to help. You know what they say, the only stupid questions are only the ones that aren't asked.
Take care,
Lynn