Author Topic: What should I bring to the hospital?  (Read 46927 times)

Kate B

• AN World
What should I bring to the hospital?
« on: February 28, 2005, 07:21:12 pm »
Oftentimes people want to know what to bring to the hospital in order to prepare for surgery. This is the start of the list. Please add what you found helpful so that others can go prepared.

The beginnings of a list:
1.  Button or zippered pajamas
2.  Slip on shoes.

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Wendy

Re: What should I bring to the hospital?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 08:58:05 pm »
Oftentimes people want to know what to bring to the hospital in order to prepare for surgery. This is the start of the list. Please add what you found helpful so that others can go prepared.

1. Button or zippered pajamas
2. Slip on shoes.

lip balm
toothbrush

Raydean

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 09:10:47 pm »
1. Button or zippered pajamas
2. Slip on shoes.
3. lip balm
4. toothbrush
5. Electric Razor if male, much easier and safer to use then a non electric razor.
6. An advocate, someone to look out for you, to speak for you, to keep track of things, including medications, someone that will act on your behalf.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Becky

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 11:05:12 pm »
7. Wet wipes.  You'll want to freshen up your face at least being in the hospital up to 5 days without a shower.  I got my hair washed on day 5 and it was rough.  Sitting at the bathroom sink with my head back; the nurse/a**istant was kind, but it was no fun for either of us.

8. Bath powder.  Especially if you're going to be laying on your back (for translab anyway) for up to 5 days.  A few sprinkles on the bedding helps a lot.  I was almost a 3-day drive from my home for surgery.  But, every day I was in the hospital, people (friends, cousins...) came to see me. 

9. Cell phone.  Once you're out of ICU you should be able to use your cell phone in your room, which is handy for non-local calls to friends and family. 

10. Fabric hair band(s).  I had translab, so what I ended up doing when they finally took the bandage-stuff off, was pull all my hair to the opposite side of the incision, with a hair band.  Between the half-a-poodle (a one-sided pig-tail) look and the half-sided total-facial paralysis ... I suppose I looked like something out of the twilight zone.  "Cute" someone told me.  Imagine that!

Becky
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 11:14:12 pm by Becky »

jcinma

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 07:14:57 am »
11. Your favorite pillow in a brightly colored pillowcase. I did this and found it most comforting. The hospital pillows were too firm for me.
1cm AN removed (lost hearing) 11/96
3cm reccurrence debulked to preserve facial function 2/05
FSR 4/05
Mass General Hosp. Boston MA

Lisa Peele

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 09:19:49 am »
Yes, bring your own comfy pillow!   

And a radio!  My eyes tired watching t.v., but it was so nice to drown out all the other noise and to hear some calming music.

Also, small bin, basket or sturdy bag to keep by the bed for lip balm, lotion, phone and address book, and whatever else you want to have nearby.

(p.s. Has anyone else tried "Frownies" after surgery for minimal eye droopiness?  They are little sticky shapes meant to use on the forehead and corners of mouth for first wrinkles, but I used them at night after I left the hospital, and I felt like they made my afftected eye look more open and "lifted".  I did not have facial paralysis, but I did have some numbness and swelling on the right side of my face for a short time.  My right eyebrow looked lower than my left  and I couldn't fully smile for a few weeks.  I did facial exercises (going through the range of facial expressions and saying the alphabet over and over, exaggerating each sound as much as I could), and I wore the Frownies at night.  I felt like they both helped  :).)

Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

Pembo

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 02:27:04 pm »
Your own toothbrush, Deodrant, lip balm, my own pillow, slippers, M&M's. Sometimes only chocolate will make it better. :)

And definitely the ADVOCATE! My husband was invaluable. If it wasn't for him, they might still be giving me all those nasty pain meds that made me sick. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

lifeisgood

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 10:39:05 pm »
A picture of whatever inspires you most to place on the table next to your bed.
Mine was my 9 month old son.
Also, ask for popcycles if your stomach is too weak for anything else. Orange was my favorite the first 4 days.  If they don't have them, send someone to the cafeteria or gift shop.
 :)
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

evelyne vandersand

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 04:17:20 pm »
The TV is too tiring. I brought a small tape player where I could play music of my own choice.
 My daughter made a collage of different photos of my family, pets and garden that I could put on the self. I looked at it all the time. Have flowers sent to your room ! Why not, it is a good time for that.
   Evelyne

alwaysanonymous

• just hold your head up high and be brave!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 02:02:24 pm »
i dont know if this has been mentioned but bring some febreze or a sceent you like because often times, your hospital rooms gets really smelly and its disgusting

sirialison

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 02:13:37 pm »
Add to your list:

-a decent robe/bathrobe! Hospital-issue robes don't quite do it!
-underpants!
-any and all of your favorite toiletries
-personal address and/or phone list
-"lovies" - I may be a grown-up but having one of my five year old's blankies (that he so lovingly shared) really made me feel better
Siri Meyer
3.5 cm left side AN
Retro-sig surgery
@ Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
November 24, 2004

ansurvivor

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 11:44:41 am »
More things you should take to the hospital...

Your own MOISTURIZING bath soap and lotion. (Dove soap and Aveeno lotion work wonderfully! The hospital sheets and towels are very drying.

Ear plugs if you can't have a private room and have a noisy roommate.

Pembo

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 06:12:28 pm »

-"lovies" - I may be a grown-up but having one of my five year old's blankies (that he so lovingly shared) really made me feel better

I second that. I had something from each one of my kids, they did help alot. I also had a picture of them at my bedside. Everyone who came in my room noticed it and commented. That mother's pride was still there. :)

I ate popsicles, red, and chocolate pudding to get those meds down.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Becky

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 07:52:23 am »
I brought 2 little photo albums so when people came to visit me I could show them the latest pics of my son (away at college).  It added something special to the visits. 

I was fortunate to have people come to see me every day during my 5-day hospital stay. 

Becky

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 07:31:46 am »
For those considering surgery, you may find the contributions made by surgery patients helpful when packing your bag for the hospital.

I have also started this question as a new topic under surgery. Please feel free to add to that list.

Kindest Regards,
Kate
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 10:15:16 am by Kate Besserman »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/