Author Topic: What should I bring to the hospital?  (Read 48283 times)

Sanddollar

Re: What should I bring to the hospital?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 11:02:35 am »
This is a great resource!  I have surgery scheduled for the end of January and now have a nice checklist from this post.  I have never had anything other than a quick day surgery, so a hospital stay - a multi-day one at that - is a whole new experience for me. 

For what it is worth, I understand that having some large boxer-shorts style PJ bottoms are nice cover under a hospital gown, too!  I'll have to let you know how this works out for me...
1cm x 2cm, Left side -Translab
Drs. Vrabec & Trask - Jan '06
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!

Static

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 08:03:16 pm »
Don't forget to take something that will slip easily over your head when you get dressed to go home as well as shoes that do not require bending to put on, unless someone else is going to tie/fix them for you.  I found that a zip up hooded sweatshirt worked great because I could also use the hood to cover my head #1 to hide the incision until more hair grew back and #2 because it's cold in January in PA and the loose hood was better than a tight hat!!  A big help to me also, was a pillow I could use to prop myself onto to get more comfortable sleeping because the AN side was the side I usually slept on and that wasn't happening!  Also, I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't for the nurse who gave me the cepacol sore throat drops that made my throat feel so much better that I could finally swallow.  Having that tube down there for hours made it a bit raw.  Also, because my nerves had gotten the best of me I got a few fever blisters and the hospital preferred that I provided my own meds for that, and if you get them, you know they need to be treated as soon as you can feel them.  I know there's more but..........well, shoot, I just can't remember! LOL  If your nerves get  bad, tell your doc and take whatever they'll give you to get through this and make it easier.  My thoughts are with you!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

wanderer

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 03:09:47 pm »
okay  here are some things I brought to many of my surgeries.

Pepcid complete.   (steroids cause heartburn,   but good luck getting anything to treat it.)  They like to feed you fruit, orange juice, and cinnanim buns.    none of that is going to improve matters.

personal dvd player.   helps pass the time.

ear phone,   can be hard hearing in a noisy hospital.   only need one for translab. :)

roll of quarters for vending machines.    sometimes hospital snacks don't cut it.    Coke they had  mt. dew they didn't.   had to buy that.

cell phone.  much easier.   also when the nurses neglect you,  (or leave you without call buttons in my case)  you can call someone and have them call the nurses station,  or you can do it yourself.    annoys the heck out of them.

eronrabun

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 02:28:37 pm »
This really helped my husband:
Our hospital room had a small refridgerator/freezer so we kept damp washcloths in the freezer and put them on his forhead to keep the headaches at bay.... and he never had to take any pain medication expect for tylenol!
-3cm acoustic neuroma "size of an egg"
-pressing on the brain stem
-50/50 chance of severe side effect with "traditional surgery"
-chose "endoscopic procedure" by Dr Shahinian in Los Angeles, CA instead of traditional one
-wouldn't change ANYTHING!
-results are amazing!!!

Angela

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 04:33:22 pm »
Here's what I packed and did not use:
- new cell phone to program and user manual (couldn't concentrate and surely couldn't read small font)
- DVD player and movies
- nail polish (hands not steady enough)
- high heels (Honest to God, I thought I could wear them home)
- cute clothes (to go with high heels)
- make up  :-[
- snacks (no appetite)

Here's what I valued most:
- an ADVOCATE (in this case, my husband.  He kept track of every pill, even got the IV's and catheter set-up correctly since the nurses couldn't)
- cumfy pajamas (to wear home)
- slippers (to wear home)
- hair thingy's (to get it out of the way)
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

Battyp

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 11:02:57 am »
Anab I had to chuckle when I read this...

I didn't pack the high heels (heck couldn't walk in them before surgery) but I did the other things and nothing wound up at the hospital with me since I had to leave stuff with my mom at the hotel and was in ICU for 5 days.  By the time I got to the regular room I could have cared less  LOL

I did wear my jammies home (3 hour drive glad I didn't have to stop at the rest area with my lime green and hot pink thumper jammies)   ;D Now the snacks (had they have shown up!) would have been devoured as I was always hungry due to the decardron LOL 

I agree..you definitly need
an advocate!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 12:14:14 pm »
I wanna see pics of the lime green/hot pink thumper pj's!  :D

I always bring either sweats or jammies to wear home, forget the makeup and hair (usually bring hair ties to hold it back), toothbrush and easy slide on shoes. 

Be comfortable, pack accordingly of things that also will not "disappear" from your room when you are not there (ie: valuables).  Let someone else hold them for you or keep them at home.

Just my 2 cents/pence.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

thecakes

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 01:33:30 pm »
  I don't know what else to tell you what to bring but make it clear that you will probably be dry and to leave a cup of water at your bed side.  After my surgery, when I was feeling better,  I would alway have to beg those nurses for a cup of water.  Never would I have any at my bed side.  I have nightmares about this!{kidding} I would have to ask them[when I could get a hold of them} and 20 mim latter would come my water.

Battyp

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 02:47:29 pm »
Hey those jammies are HOT I tell ya!  My gf gave them to me  prior to surgery and it was the only thing I could get in to come home in due to the bloat and buttons and zippers just weren't happening...Now I could have worn the baby doll nighty home  :o But was scared I might have to stop at the rest area  LOL 

The heck with the hair..brush it ??? OUCHY!! 

of course I did cute mine short thinking they'd shave my head and they didn't really.....lesson learned..next time ask!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 05:00:24 pm »
I want piccies of the jammies! :D

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 05:16:38 pm »
next time I put them on I'll snap a few  LOL  Or go to disney.com and you'll find them  LOL ;D

matti

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 08:45:55 pm »
Anab - Ok now I don't feel so bad.  I packed like I was going on a 7 day cruise and was laughed out of admissions.

These are just the highlights..
~I packed all of my hair styling products, blow dryer and 2 hot irons   (thinking at the time was, if you look good, you feel good) Still laughing over that one
~different shades of nail polish, thinking I would be bored and would need something to do everyday lol
~several different styles of jammies and matching slippers

MY ALL TIME FAVORITE...
~two shoe boxes full of photo's that needed to be organized into a photo album ( guess when I got tired of painting my nails, I could do this ??? ??? ??? ??? ???)

turns out the only thing I ever took out of my suitcase was my toothbrush and toothpaste. Stayed in my hospital gown the whole time and didn't care that I looked like crap.

Still don't know what the heck I was thinking, I have been in the hospital several times and never packed like this, MUST have been the AN clouding my judgement.

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

justafactoflife

• Let's Get Er' Done!
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 10:17:22 pm »
Looking back, I wish I had taken a comfortable pair of walking shorts, walking shoes, and large shirt.  The reason, is that you will have some Physical Therapy during your short stay and the more comfortable the better. 

I like the idea of your favorite pillow.  Also, if you get tired of watching the TV, get up and walk around.  It will help to restore your balance.  You will need to have help with that at first most likely, so be careful.
AN 1st time, July 2003
7mm x 4mm x 5mm
Subocital/Retrosigmode microsurgery
St Anthony's Hospital, St Louis MO
Dr Faisel Albanna, MD Neurosurgeon

2nd regrowth 1cm x 5mm x 4mm, Oct 2006
3 FSR using Cyberknife
St Anthony's Hos. Oklahoma City
Dr Clinton Medbery, III MD Radiologist

3rd 1.8cm x 12mm

cookiesecond

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 04:25:43 am »
I packed a bag of goodies for my family and friends that were waiting duing my surgery. 8 hours was a long time to wait. I packed all kind of snacks, a couple decks of cards, hand held games and magazines.
Lynn

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 07:30:11 pm »
I packed leopard satin jammies, leopard satin robe with tiger trim, and leopard slippers.  Got more attention from the nurses cuz they thought I was such a "hoot!"  Pack some good choccie and don't forget the no more tears baby shampoo, cuz if you try to close your eyes in the shower, you just might end up on the floor!  I packed reading material--my eyes kept jumping so bad I couldn't really see much for a few days and couldn't concentrate, either  Your own pillow is a must--hospital pillows are nasty.The hooded zip front sweatshirt is a must, too. Sunglasses for the ride home--I had to face into the sun with a towel over my head.

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW