Author Topic: Surgery - Double Vision  (Read 5304 times)

TP

Surgery - Double Vision
« on: April 11, 2007, 03:01:57 pm »
I have double vision from my AN. I have to wait until this summer before I have corrective surgery on my eye. I was wondering who else out there (I've talked with Karen - thank you) who has had this type of surgery. I haven't met with a Dr yet (in the process of finding one) so I am not sure what the name of the surgery is but I understand the process corrects the muscles in the eye to align the bad eye with the good eye.

Anyone out there who has had this surgery can you share your experiences?

1. Was it succcessful?
2. Did you have to have several surgeries to correct the bad eye?
3. If you had the surgery and it corrected your eye are you able to see clearly?
4. Any other fun facts - would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!  ::)
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Surgery - Double Vision
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 02:00:20 pm »
Hi TP:  I haven't even heard about this occuring, I geuss that's why we're not replying to it.  I have the facial paralysis, etc, like you, but not the double vision.
          Blurry vision yes, from lubricants, but that's it.  I was thinking:  so you get the joy of double sunrises & sunsets, double the amount of flowers; however driving would be difficult, highways are jammed with enough cars without having to see 'double' of that !
I wish you the best in your surgery to correct it (if only you could continue to see 'double' of the things you want to!)
Take care my friend,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

mar50

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 06:41:58 pm »
I had double vision and strabismus for several weeks after my surgery.  I ended up going to a neuro-opthomologist rather than just a general opthomologist.  If you haven't met with either, I would recommend doing so you can determine exactly what is going on.  I wore prisms in my glasses for a few months and eventually, about 2.5 months after my surgery, my eyes "straightened out".  My undestanding is that it was probably caused by the ANpressing on my optical nerve (sorry, forget which number that is 7th or 8th cranial nerve?).  The first symptom I had of my AN was double vision.  And I still have it sometimes at some angles, but nothing that interferes with my daily activities. 

Oh, and I think the deal with the surgery is that they need to make sure the nerve is ok first, then they operate on the muscle. But I could be wrong on that one, that was just what I understood.   

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 06:51:02 pm »
Well, there you go !  Learn something new everyday !!!!  Thanks for the info !!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

TP

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 07:29:42 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I am happy to learn that you guys have not experienced double vision for any length of time. It is not fun and personally has been the most difficult part of my healing. I will be meeting with a neuro opthamalogist in a few months and discussing my options. 

If anyone reads this please look at the first entry and if you can provide any input the questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 09:52:35 pm »
Children have strabismus corrected in their early years.  I know the surgery worked for my son's friend many years ago, (in the seventies).  I think eye surgeons are well practiced at correcting strabismus.  This is not new stuff for them. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 09:54:57 pm by Boppie »

okiesandy

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 01:14:28 pm »
I have had double vision when I am tired or when reading during my lunch hour. One thing on top of the other. I went to a neuro-op last week. Eyes are healthy. I do have a nerve out of place. Only it is in my non-AN side. I thought, oh no, radiation got it. Not so, just a thing that happens sometimes from age, injury or birth defect. Not enough to really worry about. I have new glasses and contacts and all is good again. The neuro-op did say every AN patient should see a neuro-op at least once post treatment and if possible pre-treatment. No matter which treatment, this should be done.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

amymeri

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 07:06:42 pm »
I had pretty bad double vision for 3 months after my surgery that gradually resolved.  I still occasionally double but don't notice it as much.

The double vision was the most distressing/disabling symptom I had. 

I, too, think a good neuro-ophthalmologist is the way to go.  I have heard of many people having the surgery successfully.

I believe that Taylor might have had eye surgery.  She is on the site.
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now