Author Topic: Fatigue  (Read 2727 times)

Catflower

Fatigue
« on: April 08, 2007, 11:12:57 am »
I've probably posted this question before since I was diagnosed in November 06, but what have been your experiences with fatigue both before and after surgery.  I used to be a high energy person and was always keeping myself busy.  Now, I'm so tired and sleepy most of the time that it is very depressing which doesn't help either.  Granted, I'm 60 years old, but I'm hoping that my energy level will improve after this darned thing is out of my head.

tony

Re: Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:59:42 am »
Real enough for sure - if you check out the search on "fatigue"
We are talking telephone directory, or more
Fundamentally poor balance adjustment and/or post-op fatigue
will both be key players at this time
The more you push and train your balance - the better it will get
and the easier the fatigue will become - and of course the drugs
wear off over time.
I am afraid this one is a long haul, 12-18mths in some cases
Best Regards
Tony

TP

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 12:11:26 pm »
Hi Catflower:

Hi I am sorry you are tired but it is very normal. I found out I had a tumor and less than 3 weeks later I had my surgery. I had a vacation planned two days after I found out I had a tumor. I slept almost the entire week but I was in the Keys and that may be normal. I had been tired for sometime before I was diagnosed with the AN. During that time, I attributed my lack of energy to the pain in my neck and shoulder (AN was on my my brain stem pressing against my spine I thought I had arthritis in my neck.)

Once I had my surgeries and was recovering I slept a lot. I enjoyed the rest. After your surgery I highly recommend you sleep as much as you can.  However, after about 9 weeks from my 1st surgery I started to feel guilty laying around and so I went back to work (50 hour work weeks) and back to karate several days a week. I had been walking slowly with my husband in my neighborhood to get back some strength and that helped a lot. I had lost my appetite but it came back about the time I started back to work. Within a very short period of time I was pretty much back to normal routine which means I am not one to just sit around and do nothing-wish I could. However, I do find myself now wanting to spend a lot of time outside doing little things. I am back doing yard work and sitting outside a lot enjoying the quietness and beautiful weather (I live in Florida).

Hang in there, you will feel better real soon. Listen to your Dr and your body. If your body is tired, make sure you rest and sleep. We will be saying a prayer for you!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 12:34:54 pm »
Cat,

Tony beat me to it :)  There are SO many threads here on brain tumors (incl. AN's) and how fatigue plays a roll. We've done surveys here for Dr. Medbery (on the CK Support board) and know you are certainly not alone.  There is also a link here (will have to dig for it) to a brochure written by Dr. Peter Black re: Brain Tumors and Fatigue (I have the hardcopy here) that really talks about how it affects us all.. and for many, it does, incl. myself.

Hang in there... will see if I can find the link.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 12:38:29 pm »
Cat (and all)

Here is the link to the "Fatigue and Brain Tumor" brochure I note above:

http://www.modularmisfits.com/forums/files/Brain_Tumor_and_Fatigue.pdf

You will need Adobe Acrobat to open it since it's a .pdf file.

It really talks about how fatigue affects those with brain tumors (malignant and benign) as well as ways to combat it........

I hope it helps...

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"