Author Topic: Just diagnosed with AN in VA  (Read 2857 times)

vap119

Just diagnosed with AN in VA
« on: April 07, 2007, 07:11:09 am »
Hi,
My husband was diagnosed yesterday with a 3 cm AN.  I've been doing research on the internet ever since we found out.  I've read lots of postings about House clinic in CA & will talk to my husband about consulting with them.  I also read some of the postings on doctors in the area.  We live in VA, so doctors in MD/DC area would be fine.  His ENT referred him to another ENT/neurotologist at UVA in Charlottesville, VA. His appointment is over a month away (which seems long since he's probably going to have to consult with a neurosurgeon after that).   Has anyone had any experience with that facility?  I've gathered that finding a surgeon who has performed a lot of these procedures is one of the best things to do, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a surgeon in the area that has a lot of experience?  We would appreciate any info that anyone has.  As you all know, this is a pretty overwhelming experience.  Thanks!!
Vanessa

lmurray69

Re: Just diagnosed with AN in VA
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 08:32:20 am »
Hello, I had a small tumor and i went to house they are very good and I think who ever you seen you would love. They have very good service and I like the aftercare too. DR. House is a grandson I trhink that did mine and he was very good. I was loosing the hearing in that ear anyway so they removed my whole ballance nerve. I didnt have the problems that some people have vertigo. but did after the trip home . we drove from Missouri to LA. and back. what a trip as we could not afford for my husband and I to fly.. But, I am doing great now. yeah some problems but nothing like i thought.. House is the best why mess with the rest. they even have a hotel connected to the hospital and its for you and him. They let you cook there and meet other AN'ERS.. computer to logon and talk to us..call me if you need any help I would be glad. Just had mine surgery in Nov 06,,I am 55 yrs old..email me too
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 12:16:15 pm »
Hi Vanessa:  I'm not in Virginia;  I noticed a couple of posts for docs in Richmond Virginia:  Look under the Physicians  section at the home page.
                  I don't know how far that is from you, but it looks like there's a couple of experienced surgeons in Richmond.
                  Wishing you & your husband all the best,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

macintosh

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 09:51:52 pm »
Jason Sheehan, who is in the Dept. of Neurosurgery at UVA, is the editor of the Journal of Neurosurgery, and very experienced in dealing with ANs. If you're going there, you'll be in good hands.

Johns Hopkins is also a major center for AN treatment.

Catflower

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 11:01:42 am »
You may want to consider consulting with Dr. Fukushima at West Virginia University Hospital.  He has done over 2000 of these surgeries.  He's doing mine on April 17th.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 12:40:25 pm »
Hi Vanessa and welcome... my hope is that you find info here that will be helpful to you and your husband.  I cannot make first-hand accts with dr's in your area but looks like many here are happy to help with suggestions.

If you need help with the site, please let me or JoeF know... glad to help.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

vap119

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 06:05:15 pm »
Thanks so much to those of you who responded.  I will definitely check out your recommendations.  It helps a great deal to be able to communicate with others who have been through all of this. I'm sure we'll have a lot more questions as we navigate our way through this situation.  I wish you all the best in your surgeries and recoveries. 
Vanessa