Author Topic: Foot vs Head  (Read 2192 times)

jtd71465

Foot vs Head
« on: April 01, 2007, 10:49:22 am »
I also have a Morton's neuroma...do any other ANer's have both Acoustic and Morton Neuroma's?

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

Evan

Re: Foot vs Head
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 02:10:58 pm »
Joe:

I do not think they are in any way related.  A morton's neuroma is a combination of nerves (that press together and form a neuroma)  that run between the metatarsals in the foot, causing pain.  They are sometimes treated non surgically, and sometimes treated by surgery.  If you do opt for surgery, I would suggest that you use an orthopedic surgeon vs. a podiatric surgeon.  While both can do the procedure, my experience has been that orthos get much better results.  Since you are in Princeton, there are many fine physicians at the Orthopedic Group  in Princeton who do and can perform the procedure if necessary.

Evan
1.5 cm x 1 cm x .5 cm/Diagnosed March 8/AN Right Side as per MRI/Upon further review, docs do not know what it is.  Could be Facial neuroma/could be nothing.  Repeat MRI in 6 weeks.

jtd71465

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:55:04 am »
Thanks Bruce-

After researching I found the following:

A painful form of foot neuralgia (nerve pain) mostly seen in middle aged women who have worn ill fitting footwear frequently. Moreton's neuroma is a painful thickening of the nerves usually between the third and fourth toe due to irritation, trauma or excessive pressure. Although neuroma usually means a tumor, in this case there is no tumor and often not even a lump - usually it is a thickening of the nerve.

Thanks,

Joe-

Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 03:46:47 am »
HI Joe,

Sounds painful!  I will agree with Evan on the ortho guy.  I had to have my R ankle reconstructed and the ortho  guy did a stellar job.  He did have the podiatrist assist.  I think it was because they were good friends so as a professional courtesy he let him scrub in.  I didn't get a bill from him or meet him I just knew he was there.  My step dad was just diagnosed with a neuroma in the foot.  I was not told it was a moreton's will have to ask and see.  I think my parents heard neuroma and did the freak out as I had just had my surgery.

All my best to you,
M

TP

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 06:26:14 pm »
I am glad someone finally asked about Morton's neuroma. I had foot surgery back in 1982 on both feet. I had bunionectomy on both big toes and pinky toes as well as neuroma cut out of both feet. I was a ballet dancer when I was young and danced on my toes, reason for my foot problems. Surgical procedures have changed since then but I can attest that surgery was probably the most painful I've ever had. After about a year or so my feet felt great and haven't had a problem since. Highly recommend the surgery and I did have mine done by a podiatrist.

When I was diagnosed with my AN last year I was wondering if they were related in anyway (even though I know the neuroma in my head was a tumor and my foot was a lump of painful nerves). I've had other cysts removed and have wondered if some people are just prone to getting these lumps and bumps in their body.....Curious to hear if anyone else is in the same boat?
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision