Author Topic: I have a date at the Chateau "Deaf"  (Read 13678 times)

Jeff

Re: I have a date at the Chateau "Deaf"
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 05:05:55 pm »
Well, I told you that I was going, so I should tell you that I am home.

I had a bad time, but I am getting better. In surgery, my brain began to swell. My facial nerve "snapped."  I had a stroke. My left side is affected. I couldn't move anything on my left side at first. I was kept sedated for some weeks, for which I am thankful because I can't remember anything from then. I had a pulmonary embolism, which lodged itself in one of my lungs. t is better. I was in St. Vincent for 5 weeks, came to my local hospital for Physical Therapy, but had to be transferred to another because I developed hydrocephalus and required another surgery for a shunt. I am home now. I continue outpatient rehab daily. I have moved from using a walker to a cane. I can stand unassisted. I can walk a short distance before using the cane. I was very weak after 7 weeks in the hospital, but I am getting stronger.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

jerseygirl

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 08:06:32 pm »
Hope that you continue wth getting stronger! From the way you suond, you wold not have even known that you have had a stroke.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Jeff

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 10:30:50 pm »
Thank you for the well wishes. I am thankful that I am getting better. I see progress quite often. All of this has been tough. Losing my hearing has almost become peripheral. Thanks again.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Dealy

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 06:54:38 am »
Jeff- It is with great relief too hear from you. I know alot on this group were very concerned about your welfare especially when we did not hear from you for awhile. I guess it just brings home the reality how serious a AN really is. We all take our health for granted. Here is hoping and praying that you progress in your recovery. I will not relate too you my current condition because I posted under AN Issues if you care too look. This post is about you and OUR CONCERN for your welfare. Please take care and God Bless. Ron

Obita

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 07:10:48 am »
Welcome back Jeff!!!

I am so relieved to see a post from you and very sorry you had so many complications. 

Take it real easy and best of luck with your recovery. 

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Jeff

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 09:10:14 pm »
Hello,

Thank you for your welcomes and well wishes.
\
I am indeed thankful to be alive. My wife was called by doctors to my room more than once in the middle of the night because they weren't sure what would happen. 

My progress continues and I am now walking around the house without my cane. I still use it when I venture out of the house.  I am now doing household chores like emptying the dishwasher and doing laundry. This is helping me to get better and giving my wife a well-deserved rest.

I will have a gold weight implanted next month. I am ready to finish this adventure.

have a great day,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Obita

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 06:46:21 pm »
Hi Jeff:

I was so glad to see this post of yours.  The no cane in the house must be such a good feeling.

Good luck with the weight and I do hope every day gets better for you.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

jerseygirl

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 08:38:31 pm »
Jeff,

I am really happy to hear that you graduated to "no cane in the house". Hope to hear soon that you don't use cane outside. Best wishes,

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Jeff

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 05:06:54 pm »
Hi,

I wanted to thank you all for your prayers and well wishes I have steadily improved since returning home. I had a gold weight implanted and my lower eyelid lifted. This has really helped my eye to feel better and has improved my vision considerably.

I have begun to drive and that is going well. I began working 2 weeks ago. Tomorrow, the latest challenge begins when students return and I begin teaching as a deaf person

This journey has driven home this point to me: AN surgery is serious, and although they rarely do, bad things can and do happen

I am thankful for my life, my family, and my friends who have reached outm

May God bless all of you.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

cookiesecond

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 06:11:28 pm »
Jeff.
I praise God for your progress. I will lift you up tomorrow as you begin this next phase of your journey,
Take care,
Lynn