Author Topic: I have a date at the Chateau "Deaf"  (Read 13609 times)

Jeff

I have a date at the Chateau "Deaf"
« on: March 22, 2007, 05:48:23 pm »
Well,

The appointments and travel arrangements are made. I will have surgery at House on April 18th. Doctors Friedman and Hitselberger will again do the honors. I will get an ABI during the surgery. It will be turned on in late May. I think that my surgery will be none too soon, as the left side of my face, tongue, teeth, and the roof of my mouth have become numb over the past few weeks. I think that my eye has gone dry too. I suppose that we are as ready for this next adventure as we will be.  :-\

BTW, a few weeks ago I asked about cell phones at St. Vincent's/Seton Hall. We decided to take Tracphones, which would serve nicely for text messages. And, they are relatively inexpensive to replace if they are lost or stolen. Today I ordered a Blackberry through Sprint Relay. Sprint Relay offers services for the deaf and hoh. It is $99 for the Blackberry and $29.99/month for a DATA only service plan, including nationwide unlimited Internet access and unlimited email as well as instant messaging. I'll let you know how it works for us.

Have a great day,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

er

Re: I have a date at the Chateau "Deaf"
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:08:43 pm »
Hello Jeff,
I my sorry to hear you are starting to have the left side of your face, tongue, teeth, and the roof of your mouth  become numb.
I wish you the best and extra prayers for you will be there.
er

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 12:49:04 pm »
Thanks er,

I see in your signature that you are being treated at OHSU. My father had AN surgery there a few years ago and did very well. Doctors McMenamee and Delashaw did his surgery.

Have a great day,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 01:04:53 pm »
Hi Jeff,
Today is five weeks post-op for me.  Drs. Friedman and Swartz were my doctors at House.  My family was very comfortable at Seton.  Also, we all had cell phones and were able to use them at St. Vincent's Hospital and Seton.  Some places you couldn't use them and signs were posted but all of the rooms at St. Vincent's Hospital are private and our cell phones worked there.  They had a computer in the breakfast room at Seton but it was dial-up and it was VERY slow (don't we all get spoiled so quickly!).  The rooms at Seton had a small refrigerator but there was a full size refrigerator in the breakfast room and everybody could put their food in there with their name on it or either the date and share if you wanted to do that.  Hope the time will pass quickly for you and you will be back home before you know it. 
Jean 
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 02:11:53 pm »
Jean,

Thank you for sharing. I am glad that you had a good outcome and that your family was comfortable at Seton. Unfortunately, this is not my first time to visit there as this is my second surgery (I have NF2). I do appreciate the information about using cell phones. I used the phone in my room to call my wife at Seton if she happened to be over there. I even used the phone to call the nurses station (long story). Now, since I will be deaf after the surgery, I am trying to plan for communication and text messaging seems to be the way to go. Thank you for your help in planning.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Dealy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 10:31:35 am »
Jeff: You are now on my prayer list that all comes out with your surgery in April. That is what freaked me out when my ENT/ Surgeon in KC wanted too do surgery 2 years ago when they first found out. He also wanted to install an ABI stem at the time. I hope I do not regret the decision too go with FSR Radiation to perserve hearing. We are going too see him on April 6th for a consult just in case all this fails and surgery is my next option. He is going too try to fit me with a hearing aid too boost hearing level. I also wacth your posts too see how you are doing.Keep the faith and spirits and will be thinking about you. It is too bad as close as we are that we could not meet each other. I think that would be interesting. Well anyway-Take Care-and Best Wishes-Ron

FlyersFan68

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 11:13:13 am »
Hope all went well.

antoinette

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 07:17:55 am »
Hi Jeff, hello everyone,
there has been no news about Jeff since he went to the hospital.
Has anyone got any news?
Please could one little crumb of news trickle here?
Thanks,
antoinette

Jeff, I hope you are all right. Thinking of you a lot these days... Drop us a line, please.
a.

jerseygirl

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 09:21:17 am »
Jeff,

Wishing everything went well and hoping to hear from you soon.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

carmen g

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 09:18:52 am »
Hi Jeff,

I have been thinking about you and praying for you!  I hope all is well! 

Hang in there!
Carmen
Diagnosis received 3-9-07.
1.7 cm, left side
Retro-sigmoid surgery 5-23-07
No complications, recovering well

cookiesecond

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 04:38:09 pm »
Jeff and Family,
You are still in our thoughts and prayers. W hope to hear from you soon,
Continue to take care of your self.
Lynn

kke

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 09:19:18 am »
We continue to pray for you and your recovery.

NF-2er

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 03:21:24 pm »
Hi;

Jeff continues his rehab at a nearby ( to his home ) hospital after 5 weeks at St. Vincents in LA. His ataxia from surgical complications is slowly improving.

NF-2er

jerseygirl

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 07:08:32 pm »
Hi, NF2-er,

Thanks for update. We were eagerly waiting for it. Sorry to hear that Jeff had surgical complications but it is great that he is recovering. Please, letl him know that we are thinking of him and wishing him well.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

NF-2er

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 09:08:32 pm »
Hi Eve;

I'll write Jeff Monday. We've been in touch since about 2 weeks post op.
   There are many details, but for the sake of the privacy of Jeff and family, I don't feel it fair I post them.
   Be well, Eve! Maybe one day Jeff will pop in here.

NF-2er