Author Topic: Joining the Transear Club  (Read 18051 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Joining the Transear Club
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2007, 12:15:45 am »
I was just wondering about that, because my audiologist said that an aid would help mask the tinnitus. She said it had to do with making the nerves work harder to "hear" and so the brain kind of forgets about the tinnitus. At least that's how I interpreted what she was telling me.  I was just wondering if anyone thinks that the tinnitus situation with an aid seemed better or not as noticible.  Trying to see if my audiologist was right, I guess.  ;)

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2007, 07:57:43 am »
Sue,

Now that you mention it, I can't really remember having any really noticable tinnitus since I started with the TransEar. At least while I'm wearing it. Tinnitus never really bothered me terribly, I think I have a mild case of it.

My audiologist had never heard of TransEar till I told him about it and since then (6 weeks ago) he has fitted 2 other people with a TransEar.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Boppie

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2007, 11:58:26 am »
Sue, What I meant to say is tinnitus is no longer an issue for me, and since I got the TransEar I have a new way of thinking about what I have going on in my ears.  If one could say the tinnitus is masked by the hearing aid, then I'd say the tinnitus is not there when I have the aid in.

But in no way has tinnitus left my brain, since hearing aid.  I can hear it right now sitting at the keyboard, without hearing aid, tappping the keys, ssttt, sstt, sstt. 

I don't want to hold out a false claim.  TransEar is a great bone conduction aid.  But my brain is making the tinnitus, and I can only hope to mask tinnitus.

mhoyland

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2007, 04:12:01 pm »
On a recent trip to the US, I went to see an audiologist about TransEar.  I had the earmold made and unfortunately the TransEar was not received by my audiologist during my visit.  She did the programming according to my hearing test - and to the other hearing aid I'm trying out (Widex) and sent me the TransEar via post, which I received yesterday.  However, I'm having real difficulty fitting TransEar.  I'm finding it so painful!!  Since TransEar is not offered in the UK, I can't just go see any audiologist and get it fitted.  Just wondering if those of you who have one did any of your own modifications to make it fit.  I really want to give it a go, but only so much I can take with trying to get it to fit properly.

(I posted this message on another TransEar forum on this site as well.  Sorry if I'm repeating myself)

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2007, 08:10:36 pm »
Well, I spoke too soon about not having tinnitus since I started wearing my TransEar. The last two days it's like "The Hunchback" has been ringing the bells in my bell tower overtime.
I hope it subsides a little at some point.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2007, 12:02:15 am »
However, I'm having real difficulty fitting TransEar.  I'm finding it so painful!! 
(I posted this message on another TransEar forum on this site as well.  Sorry if I'm repeating myself)

I am worried about this too. I have bone growths in my ear (ent explains it as having swum in cold water to protect my inner canal???)

Anyway,it is VERY deep, I got molds done this week and trans should be here soon. will post a report when I get it.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2007, 12:06:42 am »
It really does all depend on where you get your TransEar.  I called one office close to me, and once they checked into it told me the cost would be about $2900.  I went to another place further from my house and the cost for everything including office calls was $2400.  My insurance covers hearing aids so I'm still waiting for my reinmbursement for that.  Not the full amount, but the amount that the insurance feels is enough.

Jean

WAAA?
I thought there was only one company?
Are you guys getting them on the underground out of honkong or somethin>?

My insurance said they would pay for it. They classify it as a prosthetic I guess due to amputation of the vest. nerve during surgery.
Will see if they come through.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Jeanlea

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 07:31:47 am »
The audiologist and their office get to decide how much they will sell it for.  I guess you would call that their retail price.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

matti

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2007, 03:16:34 pm »
mhoyland - I suggest you call TransEar directly and tell them what is going on. They might be able to talk you through doing some minor adjustments yourself, but you have to be very careful as not to file down too much. My last TransEar was painful as heck and it took my audiologist quite a bit of time sanding it for a good fit and it has to be done in just the right areas. Did you get a blue tube of Auragel with your kit? That helps with insertion, but it sounds like your TransEar needs adjustment. Please give them a call and ask for Rick Gilbert.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50