Author Topic: Joining the Transear Club  (Read 18050 times)

okiesandy

Re: Joining the Transear Club
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 02:17:34 pm »
I got my second transear today. Still vibrates. Not nearly as bad as before. Will wear it until friday then call audiologist and report what is going on. They did not make it any longer it is thicker. I can hear somewhat if I plug my good ear.

Boopie where are you getting the gooey jel stuff? I ask at the audiologist office and he does not carry it.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

matti

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 07:04:14 pm »
Hi Sandy - You should have received a small blue tube of auragel when you got your Transear, mine came in the dry and Store box.

That's positive news, less vibration and a little more hearing. Hopefully the vibration will lessen over the next few days. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! I have not heard from my audiologist regarding remake #6. I hope they not only increase the length of my new one, but also make it thicker, the others felt way too loose.

Hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jeanlea

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 07:16:58 pm »
Dan - So far in my totally unscientific study of hearing aid batteries I find that the radio shack ones are the best.  My audiologist recommended Duracel but I've not found them yet.  And remember, the hearing aid works much better when the battery case is closed.    :D

Sandy - Sure hope your new TransEar works for you.  I forgot mine again today, but this time I called my husband right away and had him bring it to me.  I really don't like to be withiout it.  I miss fewer conversations with it.

Matti- Hope that your new TransEar works for you too.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 10:23:37 pm »
Sandy, Boppie here.  The auragel should be available on the internet if you cannot get it from your audiologist.  My audio has larger bottles I can buy.  I am surprised your office doesn't carry it.  The stuff is used by people who wear other brands of hearing aids, too!  Maybe the TransEar site can help you locate some. 

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
Re: I just got mine today
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 02:18:17 am »
Hi there,  ............

What is super cool is before I had AN surger and became deaf, with my good ear plugged music sounded totally off key an weird.  Now it is perfectly in tune from that side.  It might be worth it just for that.

Crystal

Hell YA!, Does it give direction too with eyes closed? Im all up for that if it does!
 kid hide a phone in the house and go search for it test or something...
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Andy

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 10:56:56 am »
Hi All,

I'm new to this site, and have to say that I really enjoy reading all of the success stories about TransEar!  Because of what I read, I am eager to try it for myself.

I visited my audiologist few days ago and he suggested that I do not go with TransEar because it's still in the testing stages.  (This is coming from a guy that has never worked with this product and I knew more about it than he did.  Additionally, he wanted me to pay $500 if I was not happy with TransEar and wanted to return it within 30 days.  I know that they have to create a custom mold of the ear to try it, but I thought that $500 was too steep.  My estimated total cost for TransEar, if I kept it, is $4,200.)

I called another audiologist, who says she has worked with it previously and I have an appt. on May 14.  I'm excited to try it!  I'm paying for it out of pocket since I was told my the first audiologist that my ins won't pay for any of it.  I'd like to see someone post something in regards to how much they were being charged to try TransEar. 
Andy
Lost hearing in left ear in 1995 due to motorcycle accident which resulted in a fractured and slightly dislocated skull.

matti

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 12:00:36 pm »
Hi Andy and welcome to the Transear club!

From what I have read, the cost seems to vary from $2,500 to 3,700. My cost was $2,700 and that included impressions, TransEar device, dry/store kit, and all fitting/programming appointments with the audiologist. I have had some fit and vibration issues with my TransEar and now wearing remake #7.  I am still deciding whether the device is really a benefit for me. There is a very small percentage that it does not work for (anatomical or bone conduction issues) and I may be in that group. The TransEar company and their V.P. Rick Gilbert have gone above and beyond the call of duty with me in order to make this work out, when I believe many other hearing device manufacturers would have shown me the door long ago.

I am happy that you are giving it a try and look forward to reading your updates. I hope more audiologists start coming on board.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Andy

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 01:19:54 pm »
Cheryl, thanks for the welcome and the info.  (Hope they can get the fittings corrected for you soon and I'm glad to hear that they are working hard to correct the problem.)   

After I was quoted the $4200, I called TransEar to see if I could find out how much the unit is.  Unfortunately they would not disclose this information, as it is at the audiologist's discretion to decide how much profit margin they want to add to it.  Between $2500-$3700 I think is reasonable- hopefully closer to the $2500 : ). 

I'm glad I didn't jump into that $4200 deal! I'll keep you guys posted.
Lost hearing in left ear in 1995 due to motorcycle accident which resulted in a fractured and slightly dislocated skull.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 03:33:17 pm »
The inventor of Transear, who is an audiologist, has his office about 1 1/2 hours away from me. As soon as things settle down a little here, I'm calling for an appointment! I'll be fitted by the inventor himself, so I don't anticipate any problems.  I'm calling my insurance co next week to see if they'll cough up any $$ but I highly doubt it.

Yippee!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jeanlea

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 05:41:44 pm »
It really does all depend on where you get your TransEar.  I called one office close to me, and once they checked into it told me the cost would be about $2900.  I went to another place further from my house and the cost for everything including office calls was $2400.  My insurance covers hearing aids so I'm still waiting for my reinmbursement for that.  Not the full amount, but the amount that the insurance feels is enough.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 06:51:56 pm »
Ok all you transear people!
I had my eval on monday with a new hearing aid place.  They did a bone conduction test which actually was uncomfortable on some settings.  He has not worked with transear and is questioning if it would be a valid option due to the discomfort I had.  Any input from you guys would be helpful.  The device was placed on the mastoid bone behind my left ear and on certain settings the vibration was very uncomfortable. 

Thanks,
M

Boppie

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2007, 07:48:21 pm »
Michelle, I didn't care for the sensations I got with the test vibrator either.  It pinched too hard for one thing.  The virbrations were strange feeling on the first insert of my brand new TransEar too.  But the vibrations and tingling abated as the ear mold was adjusted to fit the canal properly.  I don't think you can judge by today's experience.  I remmber also that the ear mold impressions were not FUN either.  As others will testify here, new stuff going on inside that ear canal are kind of scarey.  But, trust me you'll be okay.  TransEar will be the ones to build your custom ear mold.  Let them make one for you.  The audiologist might be skitish now.  He will make it through, too.  The audiologist has to be compliant and willing to work with you during the new adjustment stage.  Hopefully, he is flexible.  Matti can add more about this point.

Jeanlea

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2007, 08:42:55 pm »
Michelle, do you still have your numbness?  I found that the ear impressions didn't hurt at all.  I think that is because the inside of my ear has numbness also.  At least there is some benefit.  I can feel the TransEar in my ear, but it feels fine.  At most, the vibrations tickle my ear from time to time.  Most of the time I don't feel any vibrations, but I do get a bit of extra hearing.  It is so comfortable that at night I have gotten into bed and then remembered to take it out.
Good luck.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2007, 08:55:48 pm »
How is the Transear working with everyone's tinnitus issues?  Just curious if it makes it better/worse/different/no different?   

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Boppie

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2007, 09:31:03 pm »
I don't notice tinnitus when I am busy.  The tinnitus is always there TransEAr or not.  I haven't felt the need to ignore my tinnitus with the aid on.  So I guess it isn't bothering me.  I know that a hearing aid doesn't change tinnitus or make it worse.