Author Topic: weight gain and other side effects to medication...  (Read 7468 times)

terracotta

weight gain and other side effects to medication...
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:27:10 pm »
Currently, I'm taking Cymbalta. I've experimented with other antidepressents and antiseizure meds to see what works for these headaches. All have caused weight gain and sexual side effects. Right now the Cymbalta is working out OK for the pain and I'm tired of trying this or that medication, going thru the adjustment process etc. I don't like gaining weight and having no sex life but I also wonder if now is the time to just start being grateful for where I'm at and accept the side effects. I asked my doctor if I would have to be medicated the rest of my life. He said some people get "burn out" (pain stops) and he thinks within the next five years there will be improved treatment. Anyone out there relate? Tried a diet? sex toys!?
T

Mari

Re: weight gain and other side effects to medication...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:15:20 pm »
I understand about trying new meds all th time.  I tried cymbalta ans it made me sick. maybe Ill try it again.  Hey guys Im ne here and i am not sure what I am doing. didnt know if it just open discusssion or if I am RE:ing someone specific.oops
Mari

Betsy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 03:19:12 pm »
Hi Mariann...the way it works is someone starts a topic and whoever wants to chimes in with their observations and comments.  Glad to have you join the forum!

I had a rough patch about 10 years ago and tried a number of antidpressants:  paxil, prozac, zoloft, effexor, and celexa.  They all helped with my depression, but had the same side effects you mentioned, T.  Plus, some of the most amusing and memorable dreams of my life! 

Unfortunately, after about 6-8 months on one it would lose it's "oomph" and I'd switch to another.  Again, I'd be fine for 6-8 months, then back over to the dark side.  After a couple years I'd worked through my issues and wanted to stop taking them but the withdrawal was pretty bad.  The weaning off period took over a year.  For that reason, I won't take antidepressants again.  However, I am absolutely certain that they helped me through my depression and I don't regret taking them.

I guess it comes down to which is more tolerable...the symptoms or the cure!  Hope you find a balance between the two, T.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 07:40:42 pm »
One thing Dr Silberstein, who lead one of the headache clinics at the Symposium, stressed, is for AN patients to avoid Wellbutrin (which is the "low sexual side effect" antidepressant.) I've stopped taking ahe happy pills for now and am shooting for Toopmax at my next Headache Wizard visit. Dr S said he's had the best luck with that for his post-surgery headache patients(50% success rate) with Neurontin (gabapentin) coming in at a dimsal 20% succes rate.
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 06:39:45 am »
I am currently taking Lamictal, Topomax, Straterra, Premarin and Lipitor.  All tier 3 drugs.  Two are being used for anti-seizure, headaches prevention and depression.  One is ADD, one is hormone replacement, and of course cholesterol.   I always said I wouldn't be a pill popper.  Up until my AN was removed I didn't even take aspirin!  I used reflexology and pressure point therapy.  I find it interesting that my 'shrinks' diagnosis is post traumatic stress syndrome, panic attacks, anxiety and severe recurring dpression.  I have been on many of the anti-depressants you all have spoken about and because of the massive suicial thoughts was taken off.  When reading the info on each of the drugs I am taking now I find it interesting that they are considered a "cureall" if you will for many different symptoms.  My family practice doc says, "you shouldn't have any seizures on all of this!"  I wish someone would come up with one pill or even two that would help.  So far I'm still in the let's try it for a while and see if it works.  I would just like to be headache free and not giddy but content and quit gaining all of this weight!!!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

lora

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 06:27:02 pm »
Well, wouldn't you know I am taking Wellbutrin not once, but TWICE a day.  I guess I am supposed to be REALLY happy I have an AN.  What was the reasoning given for avoiding the Wellbutrin??  I will pass it along to those caring for me...
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Windsong

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 06:41:49 pm »

I'm not a med person but I think it is somehow connected to seizures can't say right now in what way......

Well, wouldn't you know I am taking Wellbutrin not once, but TWICE a day.  I guess I am supposed to be REALLY happy I have an AN.  What was the reasoning given for avoiding the Wellbutrin??  I will pass it along to those caring for me...

redgrl

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 06:47:44 pm »
I have been on a few different anti depressants myself and haven't found anything that works great. Some better then others. Right now I am on Zoloft and have gained quit a bit of weight. I am currently looking into taking Prozac. We  shall see.  ;)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 09:57:51 pm »

I'm not really sure--I walked in on the workshop 3/4 of the way through because I'd been up all night with a migraine. Something about the way it acts on the central nervous system. You can order an audio CD of any of the workshops through the ANA site--this one was on "depression and cognitive disorders following AN treatment." They are $12 with about $3-4 shipping. I'm ordering Bill Young's headache workshop cuz I was in bed with a headache and missed it!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

lora

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 12:52:11 pm »
Deb--sorry your headaches had you down once again.  I do have to thank you though, because of your experience I passed my fears to my neurosurgeon who when he did my last surgery discussed the headache thing with me.  He used some kind of bone cement to put me back together with and I RARELY have a headache.  If I do, Tylenol can handle it.  So thank you ;D

lora

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 01:10:37 pm »
I did talk with my PCP about the Welbutrin thing--so I am coming down from twice a day and am now taking it once a day--you have to wean off--I am going to try life without an anti-depressant.  If I start sounding sad to y'all, let me know!