Author Topic: Trilogy  (Read 14235 times)

Craig

Trilogy
« on: March 15, 2007, 10:45:26 am »
I am still gathering facts on what treatment as far as radiosurgery. I live in Nashville, TN. and Vanderbilt Medical Center has a system called Trilogy. It seems to be very similiar to Cyberknife. Can anyone comment on this or do you have any knowledge of this system?
I appreciate your knowledge.

Thanks,

Craig
1.78 CM AN / Vanderbilt Medical Center Trilogy System / 4 Radiation Treatments / 24gy total

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 11:26:40 am »
Craig,

I have to admit I have not heard of it... but.... I bet if you pose this to the dr's on the CK Patient Support Board (http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/), maybe one of the dr's will know about it and be able to elaborate on it. They are quite versed on all forms of radio-surgery. Just a thought....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Craig

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 11:47:35 am »
Just posted a response on the Cyberknife support group. The trilogy system from what I can tell is just like the Cyberknife and how the procedure and is also a Linear treatment. Here is a link that discusses it. I am very excited that I found this in my own backyard.

http://varian.mediaroom.com/file.php/mr_varian/spinsite_docfiles/205/CL_MAY-JUN06_St_Francis_Trilogy.pdf
1.78 CM AN / Vanderbilt Medical Center Trilogy System / 4 Radiation Treatments / 24gy total

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 08:10:00 am »
Sigmund,

I saw the replys that the drs on the CK Patient Support board wrote about the Trilogy system. Interesting insight.  So, based on what they are saying (barring the fact that they were obviously more pro-CK in their responses), it seems that the "accuracy" of the Trilogy is the question in mind?  They do publically note a 1mm accuracy on their website (http://www.varian.com/orad/prd171.html) and am curious where Trilogy is offered and the success rate as well as its use on ANs.  Was Vanderbilt able to provide you with any stats?

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Craig

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 03:31:30 pm »
I meet with them on 3/20/07. I will post what the stats are from Dr. Cmelak at Vanderbilt. Keep your fingers crossed as I would like to stay home and do the treatment.

Cheers,

Craig

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 04:20:58 pm »
fingers and eyes are crossed..... and waiting patiently for updates. Good luck at your appt!

Phyl

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 04:53:28 pm »
Hey Sig: that's great news if you can get quality treatment in your own back yard. Keep us updated on your progress.  Hope this finds you in good spirits and health despite the "AN" in your head! Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Craig

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 11:18:00 am »
I found an article that posted the accuracy of the Trilogy treatment. Here is an excerpt from it below. You can read the article by going to the link as well. I thought I would share this with everyone. I will know more tomorrow when I meet with the doctors.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041012090933.htm

"Stereotactic radiosurgery has been a non-surgical alternative for certain types of brain tumors for many years," says Nelson Oyesiku, MD, PhD, FACS, professor of neurosurgery, Emory University School of Medicine. "It may be used as a primary treatment for inoperable brain tumors or in combination with other treatments with recurrent or malignant tumors. This new Trilogy system allows for the most precise targeting of tumors or brain abnormalities, targeting the area within 0.4 of a millimeter, compared with the next best machine which targets within 0.75 of a millimeter." One might describe 0.4 of a millimeter as similar to the width of a pencil line drawn on a piece of paper.

Cheers,

Craig

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 11:25:36 am »
Craig:

.4mm yet their website says 1mm?  WOW!  Looking forward to more updates on this...... please keep us posted on your appt with them... I'm sure the dr's at the CK Patient Support Board would be interested in this as well.....and am also curious if Dr. Nelson Oyesiku has a "vested" interest in the Trilogy as well......

thanks again,
Phyl

Windsong

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 02:54:28 pm »
Fascinating Craig, thank you for posting this. It reminded me of a speech given at an information day in Halifax last year. In that, towards the end, was some info on the latest which is image guided radiation in real time. In other words, each day's treatment can be guided by images at the time. I think this type of accuracy is absolutely marvellous. This is the way radiation treatment is going.

http://www.braintumour.ca/braintumour.nsf/eng/InformationDay_getInfo

Click on the Halifax speech to the right side of the page in 2006 for a view/listen to where radiation treatment is going.

Hope it loads for you so you can view/listen.

Windsong

Sheryl

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 08:28:48 pm »
Hard to believe that we have Trilogy on the west coast of Florida near Fort Myers (Bonita Springs) through 21st Century Oncology whose doctors are affiliated with Mass General in Boston.  I was told it is becoming more and more popular and well known.
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Craig

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 11:18:47 am »
I went to meet Dr. Cmelak today. He studied under Alder at Stanford.  We decided to go through with the Trilogy treatment. It will be in 5 doses. I am scheduled to go next week to get fitted with my mask and get a CT. I will than have to have another MRI done and then we will do the treatment.

I asked him about the accuracy of the Trilogy vs. CK. He said that the CK and GK just have really marketed themselves really well. The accuracy of Trilogy, GK and CK are all about the same so that was good to hear. I have also been thinking that if you are in sales, you will sell your product and have faith in it. These doctors are doing the same thing. They have a treatment available to them so that is the best treatment as far as they are concerned.

Cheers,

Craig

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 11:20:48 am »
Craig, great news! :)

Did they share any of the following with you?

1. History of AN treatments (as to how many)?
2.  Success rate of AN treatments?

These, to me, would be key..... did they share any of that with you? Just trying to learn more about it.....

Onward and upward, Craig!
Phyl

Craig

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 07:25:28 pm »
They have done about 36 AN's with tumor control in the 97-98% range.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 08:15:07 pm »
Hi Craig...

I am interested in following your progress. You are the first Trilogy patient that I have come across. Please keep us posted, and best of luck. The treatment prognosis numbers look good.

Bruce

what Bruce said :)

Phyl