Author Topic: Dr. Jay Loeffler at Mass. General  (Read 6923 times)

tsl

Dr. Jay Loeffler at Mass. General
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:10:21 am »
Still doing my research...
As a possible radiation treatment for my an, my local ENT had mentioned Dr. Loeffler at Mass. General who uses proton beam radiation therapy.  Has anyone chosen Dr. Loeffler and proton beam?
Thanks,
Theresa
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Dr. Jay Loeffler at Mass. General
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:11:44 am »
Thereas,

Email "BostonJake"... I believe he had Proton at MGH.  Also if you need reference on Novalis at B/W, CK at BI or GK in Providence, many here that can reference.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Dr. Jay Loeffler at Mass. General
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 07:18:40 am »
I met with Dr. Loeffler (though I ended up deciding on surgery) and was very impressed with him.  And one of my neighbors works with him as one of the radiation physicists, and speaks very highly of him and his team.

Did Dr. McKenna send you to Loeffler?  That's his standard referral, given that they both work at the same hospital.  If you are seriously considering radiation, I'd probably at least to talk to the other institutions Phyl mentioned to get their opinion on your case as well.  Not that I think Proton is the wrong choice (not at all!), but in the Boston area we're lucky enough to have lots of options so why not all the research and pick the one that works best for you?  I know it can be overwhelming, but hopefully your AN is small enough that you can take some time...

Here's an article from the Boston Globe last summer about proton beam therapy:
http://www.boston.com/business/healthcare/articles/2006/08/28/first_on_the_beam/

Will you be joining us for brunch on April 29th?   ;D

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)