Author Topic: Appointment outcome and Endo in UK  (Read 10832 times)

ceeceek

Appointment outcome and Endo in UK
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:55:14 pm »
Okay, for all of those following my lovely little case, I finally had appt with endoscopic surgeon in Orlando Fl..with a Dr. Melvin Fields and his ENT associate Dr Brian Spector....I cannot say enough good things. First off, both Drs spent more than enough time with me..as most neurosugeons realize that having anything inside your head can be somewhat unsettling they tend to spend a little more time than the average appt but both doctors had actually scheduled me for at least an hour appt.
Dr. Fields was extremely knowleagable, polite, very cautious, made sure to address all the risk associated even if they were minute in nature, explained using real live hold in your hand models..finally, I can see where my little tumor sits. For once I actually waited less than 10minutes to see the Dr. and had an hour and a half appt...not the other way around. At first, I was not so sure, office staff is pretty typical, fill out your paperwork, stand in line etc...but no sooner had I sat down, I was called back into the patient rooms...there I waited for maybe 5 minutes....
Dr. Fields is young, but has assisted in over 800+ surgeries at Pittsburgh as well as performed them up there, he then opened his practice here in FL and has performed over 200 skull base tumor removals on top of other types of brain surgery. He is the director of the Gamma knife Center there, so he is skilled in both proceedures which makes him a little less biased at least in my opinion as far as surgery over GK or CK...He stated that yes, normally I would be a candidate for either GK or CK...I had stated that I would prefer CK with Dr. SPunberg, and he was totally like, no problem, they are both effective and if I am comfortable with Dr. S, then good for me....( I was really suprised at this), anyway......
       He stated that in my particular case, he would not recommend just going for the Gk or CK as I could have a particular type of tumor that if radiated would cause big problems, and he did not like even taking that chance...he advised that I at least get a biopsy before proceeding with anything. He mentioned types of tumors that NOOOOOO one else has even vaguely hinted at...I ask him about this, and although he felt, the chances were slim....unless you were a doctor whom dealt specifically with skull base tumors on a regular basis, these types of growths (meaning mine) would not ordinarily come to mind....he on the other hand really specializes in just brain injuries and brain tumors particularly in the skull base region....
       My risk of surgery itself,,,are exceedingly small, when compared to the risk of making tumor worse...I would take a 2 to 5% risk of surgery over even a .5% percent chance of radiating the wrong thing....soooo that being said, he convinced me.
      Down to the specifics....how many surgeries has he performed here? slightly over 200. How many patients have experience problems? ( I man not be exact, but I am not off on the numbers by more than one).......3 patients have experienced facial numbness..not droopy, just numbness as their tumor sat on facial nerve. 1 patient has had CSF leak..by the way, the technique Dr Shinanihian at SBI uses this technique. Dr. Fields and Dr. Kasam? at pittsburgh innovated the technique and this is what Dr. S uses now as well...., 1 patient had temporary and I mean by 3 weeks, double vision.. LETS SEE...does that make 5??, I may be missing one, or confusing the facial numbness with something else...but I am correct in the csf leak and double vision parts....
     Now for all you ANers...not all this will apply to you, as it of course as I am sure you have allll heard before, it all depends on your tumor and where it sits.
      SECOND APPT with Dr. Spector....first off, he looks like Opie, and all of twelve, very very and I mean very soft spoken. BUT, extremely confidant in his ability to accomplish the task...not egotistical, not over confidant, just a quite reserve of , oh, well, lets see here,,,,,hhmmm..if I take this approach here,,see it on the films? this is your so and so, I can manuever the endo instrument through here, creating this opening next to the other natural one....and this is the bone..see how I can avoid your carotid..of course, we will not know until we are actually performing the surgery, but it appears your carotid is on the back side, but of course, I will be monitoring the entire surgery,,we take about 3 hrs, just to make sure we are making the hole properly, really visualizing everything before we proceed.....it was a problem in Pittsburgh, where they did not take the time to properly visualize things and we don't like to do it that way.....etc etc etc........really went over EVERYTHING with me..explaing my films, what bone was what etc....extremely nice and not over confidant, just the right way a doctor whom you are trusting your life should be. He also.......actually called me back today, as I had a question about what drugs, I might be on after surgery as well as if I will be able to bend over after surgery and will I ever be able to scuba dive again.......he called within the hour of my phone call...impressive.

answers by the way are......minor pain killer, antibiotics and steroird only for two or so days...pain killers as needed, antibiotics for about a week.
No I cant bend over, need to squat for probably at least 2 weeks but may take up to 4 ( they were both very conservative in the amount of time needed for recovery, but I will get to that later), and yes, the opening will heal sufficiently for me to scuba dive in about 3 months although he said he would never recommend deep diving again.which is okay cause alll the good stuff is in shallow water anyway...

SO OVERALL OUTCOME
surgery is scheduled tentavely April 19th, with Dr. Spunbergs blessings, it was his gut feeling to really get a biopsy to begin with, he was sort of uncomfortable to perform ck without it due to location, as it is making it really hard to identify...not always the case, remember,,,I IS SPECIAL...
The Risk of anything including, CSF leak, double vision and or facial numbness is less than 5%. Could I die, well yeah....anyone can have a reaction to anesthia..but I am not counting this factor in....Risk of DRY EYE permanant around 20% due to location of my tumor.
Possibilty of removing all of tumor..around 60-70%....but can change to zero or 100%, no way to tell, till they are there and see consistancy, and whether or not it is sticking to stuff...they had their own special piece of equipment manufactured which is sort of like a sand blaster, rather than use the scoop style I had seen on medline plus video....they did not like the idea of tugging and or pulling on anything and your veins as well as nerves tolerate the sand blast technique better......
Recovery time......I may be out of Hospital in one day, but more than likely two seeing that I am from out of town...he does not want to take any chances.....Normal recovery is a week to two weeks and includes feeling like you sort of have the flu and or cold....head stuffiness etc and tired...some people he says recover right away others longer..depends on overall health etc.....as with any type of surgery so I consider this typical...I had knee surgery where I was down for the count for a month..Shoulder surgery I was fine in like three day....all depends etc.
Insurance......I have BCBS of FLorida and the hospital they use is not under my plan..the office is working with my insurance to get an exception which they have never had denied, as well as pathology etc......easy to work with so far as it was a big thing for me..out of network can be very very expensive....and if by the way, you are cash paying you get a discount.....

and last but not least to DEREK......
Here is the name of a surgeon whom was just here in the US for a class being taught by Dr. Fields in regards to endo etc...but I do believe the guy is already and endo surgeon..not just starting out.....THe class had people from all over the world including Russia....and my films were apparently a big hit....
Here is the info and good luck...make sure to tell the Doctor that Dr. Fields recommended him....it is Salis Nair the Annexe, Melchet Park farm....it may be pork farm...this is Dr.s handwriting..auughh....Sherfield English Hampshire 50516f5....or s0516Fs...you would probably know how this works??/ 0044...country code? 7730506042phone number...good luck and let me know....

Now I finally have a plan, have Dr. Spunbergs blessings, Hope for total resection so that I may simply take Dr. S out for dinner and not need his services..but at least if I do, will know what the heck I am treating and possible it will be debulked and will be easier to treat.....

Love to all
Ceecee
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

jerseygirl

Re: Appointment outcome and Endo in UK
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:39:20 pm »
Ceecee,

Lots of luck to you! I will be thinking about you and wishing you all the best!

Could you elaborate a little bit more on the difference/similarities in Dr. Shahinian's and Dr. Field's techniques?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ceeceek

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:19:03 pm »
From what I could comprehend...Dr. Fields uses a sand blasting style tool rather than a sharp little scoop on the tumor itself..they are afraid of pulling or tearing something that would be behind the tumor by accident so had this tool designed for them....the approach used to stop CSF leak was designed by Dr. Fields and Dr. Kasner? I beilieve...anyway, they use either a part of the flap up under your nose so to speak and then seal it with a type of glue....they also use a type of manufactured fibrus material specially designed for use in the body...but the part about using either your own bodies fat tissues..if necessary can be taken below your belly button..( I told them to take all they wanted), or most commonly just some tissue taken from the sinus cavity...even if your incision is not through the nose...they can still seal it with your tissue and this material...they are the ones whom invented this not Dr. Shinaniahan...

The biggest difference I found was the recovery estimate..I questioned specifially why SBI touts a 48hr recovery time and Dr. Fields stated that Dr. Jho at pittsburgh used to be the same way...and patients would call later with problems....he stated he likes to give and extra long estimate and hope it is less but that way patients are prepared just in case.....and he found too many patients in pittsburgh would have problems when released too early....so he said he would rather play cautious all the time.....Remember, Pittsburgh was an innovator, so of course there was a learning curve to it all....otherwise, the approaches are the same..in your case, i am not sure how they would proceed, but he and Terry did state they were waiting on your films...

Hope this answers your questions...
Oh one more thing..they do use a team approach which Dr. S does not...this surgery will be performed with Dr Spector making the majority of the incision..so to speak..with Dr. Fields assisting and then the tumor removal debulking will be performed with Dr. Spector assiting...Dr. Shinaniahan, does his soley..although according to secrertary he will use team approach when necessay....but I could get no specifics....
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

Derek

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 05:12:37 am »
Hi again 'Ceecee'...

You are to be congratulated on your very concise and informative response which I know we will all have read with great interest...lots of useful info for us to ponder upon and not without the all important humour!

Also, many thanks for the info you obtained from Dr Field re the UK endo aspect. If I do eventually decide to go down that route I will most certainly let you know how I get on.

Meanwhile, take good care of yourself and very best wishes for your scheduled op in April. You appear to be in very good hands (literally!) and we look forward to you letting us know how it all went when you are a 'postie'.

Best Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

ceeceek

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 09:56:51 am »
Derek,
Did you say you had a facial schwanomma? am I correct, as...they are rare, like mine..hard to identify and unfortunately can be deadly...no one really mentioned the few possiblities it could be other than Dr. Fields,,,this was a BIG part of my decision to proceed with this approach.....granted, there is a very very small percentage that said growth is anything other than benign, but with facial schwanommas, it is difficult to diagnose with just films....
So with that being said, I would at least highly advise you to proceed with some type of biopsy....
There are different techniques depending on where your little growth is....most of the time an out patient proceedure and not a big deal at all...mine is just in a really wierd spot which is why all the hullabaloo in my case..otherwise, a biopsy is usually no biggie..but I would highly advise you get one, unless everyone is completely confidant that they know exactly what it is...which I would say is about 80% of the time.
I was at the 90% confidence range, but that was not enough for me with the consequences that could take place  if they were wrong...
Good luck to you and let me know about Dr. Salir
Ceecee

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 10:19:19 am »
Ceecee,

Thank you so much for all the information! I am just amazed how thorough and precise you are in your research! I will let you (and everybody else here) know how my consult w/Dr. Field went. It will probably be next week the earliest. Meanwhile, the best of luck to you, take care of yourself before surgery and I am sure you will be well taken care of after by a great team of doctors.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ceeceek

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 11:39:11 am »
Gotta be thorough...only brain I have...and I am not sure it works all that well as it is... ::) :o ;D :o

I will keep everyone updated and if anyone wants any of the info re sites of into I have now established on my computer. I will be happy to share.
Ceecee

Derek

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 03:09:50 pm »
Derek,
Did you say you had a facial schwanomma? am I correct, as...they are rare, like mine..hard to identify and unfortunately can be deadly...no one really mentioned the few possiblities it could be other than Dr. Fields,,,this was a BIG part of my decision to proceed with this approach.....granted, there is a very very small percentage that said growth is anything other than benign, but with facial schwanommas, it is difficult to diagnose with just films....
So with that being said, I would at least highly advise you to proceed with some type of biopsy....
There are different techniques depending on where your little growth is....most of the time an out patient proceedure and not a big deal at all...mine is just in a really wierd spot which is why all the hullabaloo in my case..otherwise, a biopsy is usually no biggie..but I would highly advise you get one, unless everyone is completely confidant that they know exactly what it is...which I would say is about 80% of the time.
I was at the 90% confidence range, but that was not enough for me with the consequences that could take place  if they were wrong...
Good luck to you and let me know about Dr. Salir
Ceecee

Hi Ceecee...

Not a 'facial'... it is a bog standard 2cm AN diagnosed 5 years ago on the right side with total hearing loss on that side and has extended from the internal auditory canal (intracanalicular) into the brain cavity (intracranial) whereby it is presently just contacting  the brainstem (cerebellopontine anglle) but not compressing it or any adjacent nerves. I am therefore 'fortunate' in currently having no additional symptoms hence my decision to remain in 'wait & watch' mode pending annual MRI scan results and acting upon the unbiased advice of my neuro who practices both microsurgery and GK.

My next MRI scan is due next month hence my interest in the endoscopic method of AN removal should I eventually require treatment albeit my first treatment choice, being now age 63, would be GK. But in the (hopefully unlikely) event that I am ultimately considered to be unsuitable for GK then I would be preferring the endoscopic removal procedure should surgical excision of the AN be necessary hence my interest in the endoscopic method.

Hope that clarifies matters.

Best Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

ceeceek

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 04:06:12 pm »
Yup, it does...although someone around here has a facial schwanomma..might be on the cyberknife board....I forget....tumor moment...

Wont be able to use that excuse much longer.....one advantage of CK...you can still get to use the excuse as the tumor never reaaallly goes away.....

lol
C

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 06:13:37 pm »
cee cee don't forget to find out if you're spending the night or if we're painting the town red the night before!

ceeceek

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 08:21:46 pm »
Most definately...I have been waiting on Docs office re confirmation one way or the other,...I believe they are still tyring to coordinate hospital, insurance and both Drs.......soon as I know you'llknow
Love ya
C

goinbatty

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 05:11:56 pm »
Even though I'm just now posting a comment, I've been reading everything on this forum since being dx in Jan.  Am leaning toward the endoscopic route for now but have not ruled out gamma knife.  Got the info from SBI with the DVD showing the difference between the surgical techniques.  Also on their website, you can watch a video of the actual procedure.  However, I too live on the east coast and am very thankful you wrote about Dr. Field.  Am already in contact with Terry.  As for my symptoms, the main one is tinnitus with occasional pressure.  Even though my hearing tested in the low normal range, the tinnitus affects hearing on that side.  The main reason I sought an evaluation was that the symptoms were one sided.  I've also got a history of seizures which are unrelated to this.  For now, I'm hoping to delay treatment but from what the specialists have told me and everything I've read, it's best to treat the tumor when it's small.  I recently spoke with a nurse who works neurosurgery who said the same thing.  I'll keep you all posted if/when I ever make a final decision. 
Thanks again for the info on Dr. Field.  And good luck! 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

ceeceek

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 09:50:39 pm »
Well, I hope our little threads here have been of help. I have to say, I really really liked Dr. Field and his associate. If you are concerned about your symptoms becoming worse then I would say surgery is an option...if you can live with it how it is, then either Gamma or Cyber are definately options..and if I were in a slightly different position would be my first choice as it is least invasive...and what my personal Dr. would prefer.....no cutting period...
Even though, I would not paricularly like the idea of having to wait and see if said proceedure worked, the odds are in your favor, and I would definately look into the fractionated forms of these types of treatment, so that hearing as much as possible is preserved.
In the interim, keep us posted and let us know what Dr. Fields has to say.
Ceeceek

jerseygirl

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 09:53:46 pm »
Goinbatty,

Best of luck to you with your treatment, whatever you decide to do. Please, keep us posted!

Eve

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 10:04:01 pm »
CeeCee: EXCELLENT DISCOURSE- thanks for taking the time to share with us.  (Perhaps post surgery you should go back to school and become a clinician- you have a great way of putting things in perspective).  And I am so proud of you for asking about your surgeons particular stats- really strong of you to ask all the tough questions: CSF leaks, failures ect and impressive to have them quote right back to you exactly the number.  Good luck and keep us updates. Again, very impressed with your command of the situation. Take care of yourself, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys