Author Topic: Appointment outcome and Endo in UK  (Read 10778 times)

ceeceek

Re: Appointment outcome and Endo in UK
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 11:12:25 pm »
Well thanks for the undeserved compliment...I primarily posted all the info so hopefully others would not have to rack thier brain for some basic info...I am currently going back to school in the hopes of retiring from current job as firefighter emt...to perhaps a sales career..I was intially looking at pharmecutical sales, but now will attempt at med equipment used in endo surgery and or CK...might as well make it work for me, if you know what I mean...

My happy little disclosure is just due to the fact that I work in the medical field and do not believe Dr's to be any different than anyone else..Firefighters tend to get a lot of respect, and for me it always seemed odd..I am just doing my job...so, I tend to look at Dr.s the same way, and feel they should be up front about thier actions etc...I do not understand the whole " keep in the dark " theory when it comes to medicine..we as patients have the right to know everything...we may not have the same set of skills, after all we did not learn all the anatomy and practive surgery etc..but we should have basic answers....too many Drs I have dealth with get overwhelmed when they see me...those, I dont go back to.....LOL...anyways, thanks for the support and I will keep everyone updated...keep fingers crossed and say prayers that a total resection can take place....
Ceeceek
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

goinbatty

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 12:41:44 pm »
I'm also in the medical field.  I've been a nurse for more years than I care to remember.  Most of the time, I feel like I know just enough to be dangerous.  As in worried.  I work in case management so am used to researching treatments for various conditions.  Just so happens, I'm the patient this time.  Iniaitlly, I truly thought I could remain in the watch and wait mode for awhile.  But I seriously just want the thing out of there.  Call me crazy, but I won't really rest until I have a pathology report in my hand. 
In response to your comment about physicians, as a nurse one of the things that I find particularly frustrating is patients that just take what is told them and never ask questions or seek other opinions.  I am finding that each specialty seems to feel that their recommended treatment is the way to go whether that be surgery or radiation.  So needless to say, I'm still gathering info and at some point will hopefully come to a conclusion of what is best for me. 
Ceeceek, I truly admire firefighters/EMTs.  At one point, I considered that field too.  Best of luck with whatever you choose as a new career.  I once read that one can expect to changes fields at least 3x in their working years. 
Thanks for the support.  I can see that this site is going to be a lifeline.  After all, who best to talk to than others who have experienced the same thing. 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Obita

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 07:54:31 pm »
ceeceek, goinbatty, jerseygirl and everyone else out there wondering which way to go:

WOW.  What a great and informative thread!!

It has been said on here before but I will say it again:  Because of this forum and threads like this, it is possible to know everything there is to know about an AN and make an informed decision.  It takes a little reading, but it is all here. 

Good luck to you all, Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

jerseygirl

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 08:17:26 pm »
Kathy,

This forum is a treasure, I agree with you. I would not have known about the endoscopic approach had I not been reading posts on this forum.

Ceecee,

I guess your medical background explains why you grasped the situation so quickly. You and I reached the same conclusions but it took me months and months of research. I am sure you will be very good at whatever you decide to do: you are feisty, tenacious and figure out what's important in an instant!

Goinbatty,

Good luck with your research and I am sure everything will work out.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 11:26:41 am »
Couldn't agree with you all more.  And CEECEEK: yeah everyone loves a firefighter, especially a FEMALE! That's really cool though- I know you don't get it.  (I do get a similar response- oh your a farmer, thats cool and I think to myself, no it's nuts!)

Goinbatty: you have very compelling reasons for wanting a known pathology. Those of us who choose radiation "live with the uncertainty" that's the biggest drawback to radiation.

Nice for us non medicos to have the medico's weigh in.  Thanks again All- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 11:16:16 pm »
Well thanks for the undeserved compliment...I primarily posted all the info so hopefully others would not have to rack thier brain for some basic info...I am currently going back to school in the hopes of retiring from current job as firefighter emt...to perhaps a sales career..
Ceeceek

Cool Ceeceek, ive been NREMT for the last 10 years, primarily had my experience in CA.
Made these guys a website to get their stories and work out into the world.
http://www.salvamento.org

THUMBS UP FOR PREHOSPITAL CARE!
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06