Author Topic: Novalis Treatment  (Read 11026 times)

Katrider

Novalis Treatment
« on: March 01, 2007, 04:15:43 pm »
Hello all.  Im new here and have been reading & learning.  I was recently diagnosed with an "AN".  I have consulted with a neurosurgeon group that includes oncologists, radiationoncologists and neurosurgeons all working in concert with one another and I have been impressed so far.  The neurosurgeon I have consulted with is recommending along with his colleagues that I be treated with the "Novalis".  Does anybody have any experience/comments with this procedure?    Thank you......

NOTE: My passion is motorcycles and I ride a Katana, thus the name "Katrider".   ;)   

Mark

Re: Novalis Treatment
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 10:08:30 pm »
Hi Katrider,

"welcome" to the AN club. If you are considering radiosurgery for the treatment of your AN, the choice of machine and protocol ( FSR vs. one dose) are important considerations. The doctors you have consulted with are probably promoting the Novallis machine because it is what they have in the hospital. Reality is that Novalis is significantly less accurate than GK or CK and is considered a radiotherapy platform instead of a radiosurgery machine for that reason. Accuracy is +/- 2.5 mm whereas GK is a little over 1mm and CK is .89 based on studies.

I'll attach some exchanges between patients and the doctors who volunteer on the Cyberknife support group site

Mark

Posted 1/11/2007 7:49 PM (GMT -8)     
Could I get some information regarding the benefits of Novalis vs. Cyberknife for a AN of approx. 1.9 cm. The last doctor I saw touted the benfits of Novalis over Cyberknife, and now I feel a bit confused!

Posted 1/13/2007 7:47 AM (GMT -8)     
Novalis is an accelerator based system that achieve accuracy of about 2.5 mm. We don't feel that is accurate enough for critical brain work, although it is often used that way. You have to decide for yourself whether to accept the lower accuracy (compared with 0.89 mm for CyberKnife). In other words, they could either miss 2.5 mm of tumor (13% the diameter of your tumor) or treat 2.5 mm of brainstem, cochlea, or other critical structures.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org or cmedbery@coxinet.net

and another

Posted 11/29/2006 9:52 PM (GMT -8)     
CK and GK have similar accuracy for intracranial tumors. Ck avoids the use of a frame that must be screwed to the skull for several hours and also allows for fractionated treatment which may be important in some cases. Novalis is less accurate and is not a dedicated radiosurgery machine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(405) 272-7311

and finally

Posted 11/29/2006 9:07 AM (GMT -8)     
Dr(s) Spunberg and Medberry,

On the CK Society site there is a comparison of various machines and comments are made regarding the pros and cons. Specific to Novallis it is indicated that on a one dose protocol with the head frame that Novallis "approaches but does not meet the accuracy of either GK / CK". I am aware of the Stanford study which shows that CK is equal to slightly more accurate than GK and I know from previous posts that both of you gentlemen feel that the difference is not significant between those two machines. If anything the advantage of CK is the ability to fractionate treatments and avoid the headframe. Can you point me to some studies which support that Novallis is less accurate than the other two for cranial tumors , specifically AN's. beyond that based on your knowledge and experience with these machines can you offer some compelling reasons why you would steer patients away from one machine to the other. While I would assume the Novallis machine is certainly adequate for this treatment, I have always been under the imprssion that either GK or CK would be preferable due to increased accuracy.

Thanks

Mark

Posted 11/29/2006 3:26 PM (GMT -8)     
Look no further than the Novalis website. Their own data shows a BEST accuracy of about 2 mm. Depending on the size of the AN, that could be a substantial fraction of the tumor size. In other words, with a 6 mm tumor, you could miss one-third of it with Novalis. Actual accuracy in general use may be worse than 2 mm, since that is the best. Compare that to CK (0.89 mm very repeatable) and GK (probably 1-2 mm total accuracy).

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org or cmedbery@coxinet.net

CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Katrider

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 11:10:46 pm »
Thank you Mark!  I have another consult tomorrow and will take this info with me.  I was/am really curious as to why my neurosurgean was/is (in my opinion) strongly steering me towards the "Novalis".  Again thank you..........

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 08:41:16 am »
Hi Kat and welcome!  Mark, as always, shares wonderful info with us (hey Mark!  :-* ) and is most certainly on the money when it comes to info re: radiosurgery.

Please keep in mind that many treating facilities have an affiliation (ie: monetary investment, sponsors, etc), so, of course, the dr's are going to recommend protocols based on that or possibly stick to protocols that they are more familar, etc.

The key is doing your own research.  As you have been doing, ask any and all questions... get feedback from those that have been in the shoes.... you will hear positive, some not-not-positive outcomes. One thing I stress around here is to be your own best patient advocate. One thing I have learned over the years with my numerous medical issues.... doctors are not Gods.  It is up to educate ourselves as best as we can.

Since many of the doctors on the Cyberknife Patient support board volunteer their time and energy to answer our questions (hence, the bias tries to be minimal) and where many of the docs are versed and/or experienced in many of the radio protocols, please do not hesitate to ask them questions either.

Here is the link to the website if you are interested:

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/

Boy, did they help me (and Mark and so many of the gang!) in helping me make the best decision I could for me and my situation.

Again, welcome!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Katrider

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 02:00:13 pm »
Thanks Phyl,  your right!  Today I had a consult with my primary care physician who is the one that caught the AN.  He was very helpful in pointing out all options and Im lucky to have found him.  I have another consult about the "Novalis" coming up soon, with more questions.  I personally like to handle things swiftly and move on, but now Im thinking that maybe I should slow down and regroup.  The one question I need to pose that slipped my mind today is approx how long do I have to wait (wait & see) before being put into a position of having to choose an option, i.e, a year, two years, maybe even less????  My tumor is right on the border betwen small and medium.  Im young (43) healthy and active but my daily headaches are becoming bothersome.  So anyway lot's of questions still.  This site has been extremely helpful.   ;D

Craig

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 03:42:56 pm »
Have you made a decision? My doctor also recommended the Novalis treatment. I have a 1.87cm tumor. I have not decided between cyberknife and novalis. It seems everyone on this site supports the Cyberknife. Let me know what you decide.

Craig.
1.78 CM AN / Vanderbilt Medical Center Trilogy System / 4 Radiation Treatments / 24gy total

Sheryl

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 06:16:40 pm »
Another question that should be asked is,"Who owns the equipment"?  If it is a private group of MD's they are obviously going to "push" it with a vested interest in paying for it.  Or, as one doc mentioned when I asked how come Novalis - it's the only one I am familiar with!! 
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Katrider

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 07:46:10 pm »
Hi everybody.  To answer your question Sigmund I have decided to move forward with the Novalis.  I feel very comfortable with and more importantly trust my doctors.  This is what I feel is right for me!  I can't honestly say whether the choice is the perect one but it's the one I have made and when it's all said and done thats what matters!

Sheryl, you have a very good point, thanks for the input.

I will continue to post the progress which thus far has consisted of a second MRI.  One interesting thing, my insurance company wasnt too happy to approve this again, but the doctors/center I am dealing with take care of all the minute details so that the patient/me can concentrate on the positive.  I suppose all medical facilities do this as well.  After paying the premiums I have been paying for so long I feel kinda good that Im getting my monies worth out of the insurance company, LOL....

Thanks again for all the support and comment, keep em coming   ;D

debora

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 04:48:24 pm »
I just read this today or would have written earlier.  I had treatment using the Novalis.  I am not sure that radiation from cyberknife would have had a different outcome.

The Doctors not only zapped the tumor but my balance nerve along with it.  I have balance issues and will for the rest of my life, it has gotten better but it has been a long and hard fight.  Vertigo hits out of the blue, I have been driving and can't pull over fast enough so I no longer drive on trips or more than about 20 minutes on an interstate, I have been hit with it at work or out in public, it is so bad I can't even crawl.  Those bouts have been about 3 to 5 a year and last hours to a full day,after that I feel really crappy for a week or days. When the vertigo hits hard I used to end up in the hospital because of vomiting constantly. Now I take valium, meclizine and scopolomine patch and hopefully sleep it off.  Most of the time it is a problem with inbalance not severe vertigo, I can usually work etc but am tired from my brain constantly having to balance my body.  The other side of the brain will take over but it will not be the same.  Not everyone who has radiation goes through this, I am just unfortunate.  I just saw my Doctors at the Mayo August 31 and just as I thought I will and have learned to live with this.  It is worth it to fight, and I am proud to be strong enough to say I have and still am.  Funny thing-I am still a chicken at times and this will overwhelm me.

Please let me know if you have had this done yet and how you are, I really do care.   Deb

mema

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 12:52:01 pm »
Katrider,                                                                                                                                                                                   

Just read this thread.  I actually sought out the novalis machine from an ad in the newspaper I seen.  So it wasn't any facility promoting their machine.  After I found about 5 facilities that used it,I had consultations with four.   I chose MD Anderson.  I had 25 treatments.  I do have some side effects, lost hearing on my AN side.  But I often  think if  I was that sensitive to lower doses, what could of happened if I went with GK or CK.  After all is said and done I would do it over again, because none of the treatments are fool proof.         

mema                                                       
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

linnilue

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 07:24:17 pm »
I just read this today or would have written earlier.  I had treatment using the Novalis.  I am not sure that radiation from cyberknife would have had a different outcome.

The Doctors not only zapped the tumor but my balance nerve along with it.  I have balance issues and will for the rest of my life, it has gotten better but it has been a long and hard fight.  Vertigo hits out of the blue, I have been driving and can't pull over fast enough so I no longer drive on trips or more than about 20 minutes on an interstate, I have been hit with it at work or out in public, it is so bad I can't even crawl.  Those bouts have been about 3 to 5 a year and last hours to a full day,after that I feel really crappy for a week or days. When the vertigo hits hard I used to end up in the hospital because of vomiting constantly. Now I take valium, meclizine and scopolomine patch and hopefully sleep it off.  Most of the time it is a problem with inbalance not severe vertigo, I can usually work etc but am tired from my brain constantly having to balance my body.  The other side of the brain will take over but it will not be the same.  Not everyone who has radiation goes through this, I am just unfortunate.  I just saw my Doctors at the Mayo August 31 and just as I thought I will and have learned to live with this.  It is worth it to fight, and I am proud to be strong enough to say I have and still am.  Funny thing-I am still a chicken at times and this will overwhelm me.

Please let me know if you have had this done yet and how you are, I really do care.   Deb
  I too had linac and have had a very prolonged recovery, much like Deb.  If I had known before I had the radiation I would have had GK or CK.  Not Novalis.  My life has been difficult and was pretty horrible for more than 2 years.  I do not say this to scare you but my hearing was perfectly normal before the radiation and I lost almost all of it 4 months later.  I too just started driving in April.  I still have some rough days because my brain is very tired from all the balance and vertigo issues daily.  I walk with a cane.  I used to use a walker.  But I am learning to make the best of it.  I too sought out a second opinion afterwords and was told that I wouldn't get better, I just had to learn to live with all this, it was radiation damage and so I have.  I would love to help to prevent everyone from having the same outcome as myself.  So I say do the research and if you choose radiation and you have the choice go for gk or ck.  Good luck. 
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Mark

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 10:07:06 pm »
Nikynu,

I just wanted to acknowledge your post back to Deb and that I appreciate the points you made. While not common, it is unfortunate to have ongoing post radiation effects related to radiosurgery. I was going to challenge the assumption that GK and CK would have had similar or worse results, but your perspective , based on your experience is much more meaningful to the discussion.

There have been many posts over the years comparing different machines, but it has certainly been my unscientific observation that there are more occurrences with the radiotherapy machines such as Novalis that do the 25-30 day protocols to compensate for their lower accuracy compared to GK or CK. It is understandable to think that if damage to nearby structures occurred at low doses with one machine that it would be more likely with one that treated fewer times with a higher dose. However, the issue is not dose, it is accuracy, and CK and GK can use a higher dose because their margin of error is less. Damage happens when healthy structures receive too much radiation, not when high doses hit the AN.

The experience of the clinical team is equally important to the type of machine used, and both need to be evaluated carefully in order to minimize the risk, but the issue to me is the accuracy of the machine and treatment plan , not the dose used in the treatment protocol.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

jimmy r

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 07:31:18 pm »
I am in the process of evaluating radiation options. I had surgery 10 weeks ago at MGH by Dr Barker and  he was only able to remove about a third of the tumor because the facial nerve is on the tumor. Dr Barker has recommended FSR at MGH. I am meeting with Dr Loeffler next week at MGH.  I have already met  with a radiologist at Maine medical Center and has also recommended FSR, 30 treatments. he says the 30 treatments are important so the facial nerve has time to recover between treatments. I do not know what type of machine or it's accuracy. I need to ask. So I know for sure that my facial nerve will receive radiation. I asked him about CH and he said he wishes his hospital had CK machine but he is comfortable that the machine they have is acceptable.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

crystallady

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 07:31:31 pm »
katrider,

I am THRILLED to say that I had a one time treatment from the Novalis machine near where I live.  The oncologists, radiationoncologists and neurosurgeons all working in concert with my treatment also.  I also had physicists involved in designing my treatment.  I can greatfully say, that after 3.5 months since the one time treatment from the novalis that my 2 cm AN is shrinking and showing necrosis.  My "team" was very thrilled that results are so positive.  My team has been wonderful to deal with and I cant recommend the Novalis enough.  That machine uses a lower dose then the CK or GK and they able to get extremely tight area that just involved the tumor itself for the radiation.  I saw the reports and diagrams where the radiation was sent.  I have very minor side effects because of the AN but none from the radiation.  Mark and i have had this disagreement before but I knew i was making the right decision and I did.  Then best part about the treatment I had with the Novalis is that I only had ONE TREATMENT and results are great after a short period of time.   ;D

debora

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 03:22:21 pm »
I'm glad to hear of your positive outcome with the Novalis unit.  Way to go!   Deb