Author Topic: Novalis Treatment  (Read 11030 times)

mema

Re: Novalis Treatment
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 04:08:16 pm »
Crystallady,                                                                                                                                                                               

I had FSR on the Novalis 25 treatments.  I never heard someone to get just one treatment.  How many rads did you get?                     

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Mark

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 06:19:49 pm »
While Novallis as a radiotherapy machine is typically used in FSR applications of around 25-30 days, it has the capability of doing one shot. My understanding is that it would require a GK like head frame instead of the softer mask, but I don't know that for certain. GK and CK would typically have a one dose protocol of around 12 GY and that is based on what level studies show is required to have a biological effect. This is not a machine issue, but a protocol based on treatment effectiveness, so I strongly doubt Crystallady got a significantly different dose with Novalis.

I'm very happy that she had a positive experience with the machine , the team, and with her preliminary results. All of the machines are capable of effectively treating AN's but there are differences in accuracy which influence how the respective teams use them. The reason the vast majority of folks get a 25-30 day protocol is because it has lower accuracy than either CK or GK. The lower per treatment dose over a longer period allows for better outcomes and less risk of damage to healthy tissue. GK ( 1 dose only) and CK ( 1-5 dose for AN) deliver a much higher per treatment dose in less days simply because they are more accurate and can do so with less risk than Novalis. In short, there is a reason it is rare to see a one dose protocol with Novalis. Again, I'm thrilled that her treatment has worked so well for her, but in my opinion, if you treated a 100 patients on a one dose protocol with all three machines there would probably be some outcome differences with Novalis compared to the other two. It's a question of odds and probabilities. I can't remember where we "disagreed" as she referenced on her post, but I'm assuming it is on this issue of accuracy. If so, we will agree to disagree  ;). Based on the studies I've read and probably more important,  the opinions of radiation oncologists who have used all three, I think the differences in accuracy are documented and are what they are.

Mark

CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

debora

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 07:15:15 pm »
With the novalis they consider your size and then calculate the amount of radiation they will use. There is a team that woks together using a ct scan and an MRI to exactly match the tumor and zap it without harming area around it.  Sometimes that isn't always the case.   I was fitted with a halo (4 screws in the head) and then they attach that to a table that you lay on, I had one treatment with 12gy.  That is the maximum amount and with the maximum you can never have radiation again. I have learned that FSR has a higher chance of not harming other tissue surrounding the tumor.    Mark you are very informed, wish I would have talked to you before having this procedure done :)

Deb

linnilue

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 07:40:28 pm »
With the novalis they consider your size and then calculate the amount of radiation they will use. There is a team that woks together using a ct scan and an MRI to exactly match the tumor and zap it without harming area around it.  Sometimes that isn't always the case.   I was fitted with a halo (4 screws in the head) and then they attach that to a table that you lay on, I had one treatment with 12gy.  That is the maximum amount and with the maximum you can never have radiation again. I have learned that FSR has a higher chance of not harming other tissue surrounding the tumor.    Mark you are very informed, wish I would have talked to you before having this procedure done :)

Deb
  Yes, I agree with you Deb, Mark is very informed.  He is a perfect example of the how and why this forum works so well and is a great instrument in requiring the knwoledge that we need to make informed decisions and to seek those who already know the path we are going.  IAs I have said many times, I wish I had found this forum before I made my decision.  Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

okiesandy

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 03:18:04 pm »
I can only speak from my experience. I had CK 1/06 and have had nothing but a good recovery. My treatment center also used MRI and ct in the same way.

I was so lucky. Dr Medbery does GK and CK and so does my neurosurgeon and she is a surgeon. I had my choice because I didn't have hearing to save. GK, CK or if CK I dose or three. I chose three because the tumor was pressing on my facial nerve. I was just given the stats and told any treatment was an option for me.

Tinnitus better, balance better, no facial numbness. Hearing did not return and I didn't expect it would. I do everything I did before treatment and more. I am a type A personality that has to know everything before I can commit to anything. I was so sick of going to doctors that I didn't trust any of them. Forget the doctor hype and pep talk. If they took it out with the kitchen tongs they would say it is the best way to go. Talk to the people who have had treatment, see them in person. Things are not always as they seem. The eyes don't lie. I seldom think of the tumor and have gone on with my life. I only have one regret and that is that I wasted so much time thinking surgery was the way to go.

Blessings,

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

crystallady

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 05:40:13 pm »
Mema,
I have an appointment with my oncologist and neurosurgeon next month and I will ask how much radiation I got and would I be able to have it again if needed.  I somehow remember 8 gy but I will confirm.  I have had no symptoms from the Novalis.  They do use this machine with cancer patients  and they get multiple treatments but they found radio surgery (1 treatment) to be very effective with non cancerous tumors.  My neurosurgeon worked with all 3 machines and was at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.  He said he liked the Novalis the best because of more precise effective treatment with a single treatment and a lower dose of radiation.  There is a head frame with 4 screws involved and it wasnt as bad as i expected it to be getting it put on.  Walked around all day with it on. 

Anyway, I wouldnt discourage anyone from the Novalis.  As with everything, you want experienced doctors treating you.

Cindy

crystallady

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 06:50:02 pm »
I just wanted to add that I had my follow up with my oncologist who designed my treatment and i had received 12 gy and as for having not being able to have radiation again.. never heard of such a thing.  I am still greatful for the one treatment I got with the Novalis.  My doctor said that the studies that are out are old and found the single treatment to just as effective or better than multiple treatments.

debora

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 08:13:38 am »
Crystallady,
I'm sorry I didn't clarify myself.  As far as never having radiation again I meant that I will never be able to have it on my right sided AN again, according to the Doctors at the Mayo 12 gy is the maximum.  As far as another area in my brain I am not sure of as well as any other part in my body I am not sure either. 
I am very glad that you had such a positive outcome using the Novalis.  Take care

Deb

Sheryl

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 07:47:39 pm »
Crystallady - we also consulted at Brigham and Women's and were very impressed with Novalis and the team there for my husband's meningioma (another type of benign brain tumor) regrowth after surgery in 2004.  Problem was that they outlined a program of four to five weeks, five days a week and coming from Cape Cod in the middle of the summer that trip would be impossible and living with relatives was not too enticing.  We ended up at the Beth Israel CyberKnife and they decided one application would be sufficient which was done on 10/1/07 - keeping our fingers and toes crossing for at least no tumor growth at MRI followup end of January.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 06:14:30 pm »
CIndy, congrats that things went so well. I know Dr. Ramankrishna at B/W is top of the line and certainly knows he stuff there... great hands to be in... I'm glad to hear that all has worked out and send wishes for wellness to you.

Sheryl, well, my dear... please give that handsome spouse a huggle and smoochie from me.. and tell him we continue to send "Beanie toot's" southbound to help with the healing process!  BTW, send up some warmth, will ya? I'm tired of shoveling snow and ice.

Be well, all!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sheryl

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 06:50:30 pm »
Hey Phyl - shouldn't "Beanie Toots" help melt the ice and snow???  Just returned from two days of fun at Disney and Epcot and thought of your cheeky bloke while in the "England" pavillion. 
Stay Warm,
"The Snowbirds"
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 08:53:10 pm »
Hey Phyl - shouldn't "Beanie Toots" help melt the ice and snow???  Just returned from two days of fun at Disney and Epcot and thought of your cheeky bloke while in the "England" pavillion. 
Stay Warm,
"The Snowbirds"

2 feet of white crap on the ground and trust me, Beanie toots are not melting it at all!!!  Will relay the message to the bloke!  Trying to teach him to speak with a propa' Bawsten accent! :)  Happy holidays, you love birds! :) Phyl

Sorry for the hijack, return you to your regularly schedule Novalis post!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"