Author Topic: Back from doctor, 6 mos MRI results are in.....  (Read 2863 times)

tatianne

Back from doctor, 6 mos MRI results are in.....
« on: February 26, 2007, 01:14:34 pm »
I saw my neurotologist this morning and my AN grew 1.5 mm in 6 mos which is a little faster then average.
I measure in at 9.5 mm now and my first measurement was changed to 8mm instead of 8.3mm, therefore a 1.5 mm growth...(I wonder why they changed the first measurement??)
Anyway my doctor says we could wait another year and do a repeat MRI but hed rather not because he feels it may grow a few mm in a year and does not want to take that risk.
Hes sending me to a neurosurgeon for consultation and feels strongly and GK as a form of treatment for me.I will see him again on March 12th after my follow up audio and he will refer me.I was hoping that I would not have to have treatment for a few more years but I guess it will be done sooner rather then later.
 Overall, good or bad news, Im not sure...I know im not feeling very good about of all of this today.
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Back from doctor, 6 mos MRI results are in.....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 02:22:26 pm »
tatianne:

Thanks for the update.  Sorry about your AN 'growth spurt' but they sometimes do that. 

Feeling apprehensive when you have to make a decision regarding AN treatment is always a bit nerve-wracking.  That is natural and we've all been there - or will be, soon.  You'll be fine.  Look at all the success stories posted here.  You could be next!  :)  Besides, you have to do something, soon.  However, I see no need for you to rush things.  With the caveat that I hold no medical expertise, I tend to agree with your doctor that, under the circumstances, more waiting-and-watching is probably not a good idea, as much as you might wish that weren't the case.  Have your consultations and weigh all the options carefully, so you'll be comfortable with whatever decision you eventually make regarding treatment.  Gamma Knife is a very viable radiation treatment for small acoustic neuroma tumors, such as yours.  It's been used successfully in thousands of patients and is certainly worth considering.

Keep us informed and of course, we wish you all the best.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 07:28:58 am »
Tatianne,
  It may be worth asking your doctor how accurate the "growth rate" is as measured from sucessive MRI tests.  If the normal error in measuring an AN from an MRI is + or - 1 mm, then the 1.5 mm growth rate may or may not be accurate.    If you're considering treatment, vs. continued watch-and-wait, based on the growth rate it would be good to know how accurate that figure is.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

tatianne

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 08:21:59 am »
thanks guys for your replies.

My doctor is concerned about the growth rate, he doesnt want to wait a year and then find out it grew a couple of mm, he said he would rather start treatment process now and be ready to move forward. Here in Canada everything takes forever, just meeting with the neurosurgeon will probably take months, then its a consultation with the GK team, then we have to book the treatment...in quebec we have one GK machine so preparing for treatment will probably take a long time, more then a year...Thinking about it I think thats my doctors reason for moving forward now.
I feel better after having had a good nights sleep.
Did any of you have to wait a long time between deciding to have treatment and actually having it done ??
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 01:53:18 pm »
Hi Tatianne,

MRI's have a +/- factor of approx 2mm, so, if you factor that in, seems you are just about the same as last MRI......we found mine to be growing at approx 3mm-4mm in a short time (even with the +/- factor), so my decision making process began 9 mos post diagnosis, and then, after my extensive research, I was able to make my decision within a 1 month timeframe. I knew what my gut had been telling me, but I checked all options and still went with my gut. I have faith in you to know what to do and to go with your gut as well.

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"