Author Topic: Where do you go to escape from the AN?  (Read 7270 times)

Marilyn

• My Research
Re: Where do you go to escape from the AN?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 01:11:30 pm »
Ahhhh all the wonderful places to escape to.  On days when physically "going" somewhere to escape is not possible and I'm feeling the need to escape I will sit outside (I live in S. Florida) in my yoga studio facing the garden.  I plug up my good ear so I can hear the sound of my breath--a soft and slow inhale, exhale.  Focusing only on the sound of my breath--a sobering reality. 

We enter life with a breath and exit life with a breath.  Every once and a while, in between the beginning and the end of your life, become conscious of your breath . 

That was nice.  Meditation is my best escape too.

Working, cooking, ..., anything that captures my mind.  I love the garage because it has lots of motors and computer fans running.

When the tinnitus was really loud, I would watch a CD with my friend and we would arrange our bodies so that I could rest the AN side of my head in his hand and that's really comforting and nice.

And, when it was really bad, I slept a lot for the escape.

There was  moment when I had a deeper realization that the noise was really in my head and not apparent to anyone else and since then I've been able to hear around it better.  I suppose that's a 'duh' for everyone else but sometimes the simplest things escape me.

Marilyn

6mm right side AN diagnosed Jan 25, 2005
watching and waiting

LS

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 02:13:44 pm »
Hey Palace, how was Ventana?  My wife and I went there 15-20 years ago and loved it and the drive down from Carmel.  Looking seriously into doing a CK treatment at Stanford, so that would be a trip I would like to remake if it still really good.  Thanks
1.6cm diagnosed Feb. 9th, 2006.  The Woodlands, TX

kjmema

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 07:18:21 pm »
The great escape.  I went to Vegas/ actually Henderson a bit south of Vegas,  for my 65th birthday last week and escape I did....Plush resort, free food, limo ride, and lots of fun machines in which to waste my money....The noise from the machines was much more enjoyable than the sounds in my head, the food was better than any dish I can make and NO dishes to clean up...For four days I didn't even think about anything related to my brain....that and the Sees chocolate candy I got for my birthday made for a great week.
left side AN 3mm IAC watch & wait hearing 100% balance slightly off

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 08:35:04 pm »
Hello LS:

Get out of Woodlands, Texas and do go to Big Sur.  I was there the first time when you were.  Ventana was even better than the first time, much nicer than even when you and I went years ago.  I was so impressed with their indoor lounge by the fire.......fabulous, the huge patio with the pan-vieo over the ocean up on top of a cliff........looking from one end to the other of the sea, the great enterance and grounds, the terrific art gallery, the "to die for gift shoppe" and again........that outside seating is TIME STANDS TOTALLY STILL with no AN existance.  Do go again!  I just planned my next trip there hopefully before school lets out and vacation begins.  (too crowded then so before, June)  This is the ultimate trip, I tell you.  What an escape.  Well, I can't to that daily so, thank you for all the nice ideas for escaping the AN and I hope more people write new suggestions.  The reading, getting lost in artwork, crafts for some people, etc. seems to be the answer on a daily basis.  (plus other ideas)

I'm taking Sonata to sleep.  I switched from Ambien.  The Ambien is now working in reverse since I took it at my diagnosis.  I will need to find a new way to sleep on a permanent basis here, really soon!  The loud whine is piercing and I'm wired awake when I go to bed.  This is a long journey but, at least we are still having a journey.  (life)

Again, thank you all for the good suggestions to escape away from the AN symptoms.  They are all really good ideas.  Keep them coming!

Bye for now,

Palace
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:39:18 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness