Author Topic: Thank you from the bottom of my heart  (Read 3746 times)

Daphne

Thank you from the bottom of my heart
« on: February 21, 2007, 01:44:51 pm »
I went to my ENT today to get the results from my MRI for a suspected AN.  I'm 37 and have had progressive hearing loss in my right ear for the last three years (through 2 pregnancies and 2 bouts of breastfeeding).  My results were negative, much to my relief.  But, even though I won't be able to join your special group, I still felt the need to tell you how much you helped me through the last agonizing three weeks since the doctor mentioned - "well, your hearing loss could be caused by a benign brain tumor."  I am of the opinion that benign and brain should not be used together in the same sentence.  I was, of course, panicked.  All I could think about was my little girls (who are 5 months and 3 years old).  Then, I found this website.  And I learned that no matter what the news of the MRI brought, I could make it through.

In general, I learned:
I needed to make sure that my MRI was with contrast - it was
Benign is good and small is good and that there are experts in AN removal

From some of you specifically, I learned even more.

Katie:  From your posts, I learned that having an AN and being an incredible mother are not mutually exclusive.  I probably related more to your story than any other on the board - my girls are about the ages that your boys were when your were diagnosed.  You're close to my age and your love for your kids just shines through in your posts, as does your strength and resolve. 

Phyl:  Your big heart is evident from the way that you nuture every one on this board.  Even with your double-whammy diagnosis, you reach out and give a shoulder to cry on or an ear to listen.  From you, I learned that even when life gives you lemons, helping others is still important.

Captain Deb:  I learned from you that spunk gets you through the hard times and the good times.  I was relieved to see that even if I had to have brain surgery, I could still enjoy my beloved Jimmy Buffett (Little Miss Magic is the song I sing to my baby every night - and I'm just a few miles from the Florabama - one of his original hang-outs)  And, if I ever win the lottery, you can bet I'll be buying one of your paintings - they are breathtaking!

BattyPrincess:  You are an inspiration to me and I'm sure to so many other people who read this board.   You have been through so much, but you just keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep on keeping on.  You make me proud to be a Floridian! 

To each and every one of you who post on this board, whether you've had surgery or radiosurgery or you're waiting and watching, you have my utmost admiration.  I'm sure that there are many more people out there in cyberspace like me who lurk and read your messages and take hope and inspiration from them.  Thank you so much!

Daphne

Derek

Re: Thank you from the bottom of my heart
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 02:50:14 pm »
Hi Daphne...

Thanks for your very humbling response. Taking the time and trouble to post indicates the compassion and humanity that you possess in abundance. I am so very pleased that your MRI scan was negative for AN diagnosis.

My very best regards.

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Jwh

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 02:55:04 pm »
Congratulations - great news!!! So happy for you.....

I understand how you were feeling.  I'm 33 years old had surgery 5 years ago.  Now I have two children - a 4 year old girl and a 7 week old boy.  I go Friday for a MRI and there is a possibility of a regrowth.  I wish my focus was more on my young children right now.

All the best!!!

5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »
Humbling is right!  Thank you.

Congratulations, Daphne, for being excluded from our club!  That is a good thing and I'm thrilled for you.  I hope you are able to get answers for your hearing loss.  At least we have good excuses for not hearing the baby cry in the middle of the night!  Ha!  Though my baby turns two tomorrow!   :'(

I wish you and your family all the best.  Go give your girls a big old bear cuddle!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Obita

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 07:17:42 pm »
Daphne:

I am so happy for you!!  Not having you on here as a regular ANA Forum poster, is a loss to us!!

Best of luck to you, Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 08:08:28 pm »
OMG Daphne!  What a wonderful post. :D  Now get out of here, go have a life!  ;) Hug the kids....Life is good.

Sue in Vancouver USA 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 08:13:51 pm »
daphne thank you for such kind words and so glad we share a state together.  I'm happy that you are not joining our exclusive club and may your family continue to blossom under your loving care!

Hugs M