Author Topic: time frame for going back to work  (Read 9391 times)

bugman

time frame for going back to work
« on: February 19, 2007, 12:05:57 pm »
Can anyone tell how long was it before they could go back to work after surgery? Has anyone not been able to go back to work and if so why?
Thank you

macintosh

Re: time frame for going back to work
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:54:12 pm »
Afer radiosurgery on a small AN (7mm) I was back at work the next day.

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 01:09:00 pm »
I had surgery (translab) for a tumor that was 3.5 plus cm.  I had the sick time so I was out of work for a total of 8 weeks.  If I had to I probably could have gone back to work a couple of weeks earlier.  I think it depends on the treatment that you have and how big your tumor is.  Some people have gone back much sooner.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 02:35:29 pm »
I don't work in a traditional office situation, but I was taking care of my two young kids on my own all day by 6 weeks post-op.  It wasn't too bad, and it's not like I could explain to my youngest (who was 1 1/2 at the time!) that I just needed to rest for a bit!  LOL!

I was wiped at the end of the day (still am!), but I was fine.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:05:36 pm »
Hi there,
I went back to work 8 weeks after surgery, but only worked 3 days a week the first 2 weeks.
I was really fatigued for awhile, felt like I probably could have waited another month...
So, go with your body, it'll let you know when you're ready.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 04:10:00 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

1wareagle

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 04:39:14 pm »
I went back to work for 3 hours on the 3rd week after my surgery and full time after 1 month. I feel great but still can't move my face yet!
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

amymeri

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 05:55:33 pm »
I had a large tumor and very long surgery.  I returned to work part time 3 months after surgery (could have gone a little earlier) and full time at 5 months.

I had double vision and very severe facial paralysis the first 3 months so I couldn't drive to work until the vision resolved.  My face is still paralyzed but I felt okay after 3-4 months, gradually improving until 6 months out I felt normal.
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

silverdolphin

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 06:00:27 pm »
I went back to work after 6 weeks.  My first week back I worked mornings and then went home for a big nap in the afternoon.
Left AN 3.5cm removed 7/11/05
Drs. Donald Wright & David Schessel, Virginia Hospital Center
deaf on the left
Surgery 10/29/05 to stop CSF leak

Obita

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 07:37:43 pm »
Hi Bugman:

I went back at 8 weeks then did 2 weeks half days.  Looking back I am sure I would have been fine easing back into it 2 weeks earlier.  I am really glad I could do the half days.  I was very overwhelmed at first and 4 hours was enough.   I guess I needed to be weaned off naps!!

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 09:15:35 pm »
Naps They're going to wean me off naps? :o  Bugman I think i'm one of the rare cases who have not gone back to work.  The reason is I have numbness in my face, throat and tongue which make teaching difficult and had some problems with Adult onset attention deficiet disorder which made me oh hmm let's see a little impulsive.  Ok, so it was a lot impulsive but honestly I didn't hit the guy I wal mart I only yelled as he wasn't handicapped and took my handicapped space.  I'm in the process of going back to school through vocational rehab to get retrained for a new career in which I don't have to speak a lot and can do from home.  I am better in the sense that I can go most days without a nap but find if I get stressed or tense I'm looking to lay down as it makes my balance and speech worse.

Hugs M

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 07:57:47 am »
  I was off of work for 8 weeks.  I originally "planned" on being off 4 weeks, but in retrospect I'm glad that I was able to take 8 weeks off.  I was much better shape as far as balance, energy levels, etc., after 8 weeks.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

er

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 09:33:35 pm »

Hi
I was able to go back to work 3 weeks after surgery, I still had problems with my eyesight but I wore my prescription sunglasses. I also got fatigue but I would go out to my car and rest. But I only had a 6-hour day part-time job as an instructional ass. and receptionist. It depends on how your body and mine feel. My doctor was glad to see me go to work.

Eve

Denise

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 06:19:38 am »
Return to Work Part-time 7/11/05
Return to Work Full-time 9/7/05

Would have taken more time, if I could.  I had no disability, and am not paid if I don't work.  So really not a choice for me.  Just do what is right for you.  If you can go part time and ease your way back to a full time day I say go for it.

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

MLB57

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 03:57:21 pm »
Hi Bugman--I was 50 when I had a 1 cm rt AN removed retrosigmoid/suboccipital--Docs told me I'd feel like a Mack truck hit me for 6 weeks or so (I have done research since and your brain normally uses 25% (I think) of your body's energy, but when you have head trauma (like surgery) a greater percentage of energy goes to healing your brain so that's why you are really fatigued after surgery for some time). I was in good health and was so fatigued I didn't go back to work until 3 months after surgery--so we all recouperate at different rates.. Luckily I and short-term disability from work so never missed much income.

Regards, Mary from MA.. :D
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

jason1

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 10:05:03 am »
I am currently 4 weeks from translab surgery and not back to work yet. I am planning to return full-time in another 2 weeks. I am able to do some part-time work from home on the computer right now, but its hard to focus on the screen for hours on end without getting headaches. I am 32 years old and was in fairly good shape going into the surgery, but my balance is not 100% yet and stamina is still an issue.  Though my surgery took about 11 hours there were no post-op complications. During the first week you may wonder how you could ever go back to work, but it gets better every week.

Good luck to you.

Jason
2 cm AN found Dec 2006; hearing loss with tinnitus for 12 years and balance issues prompted MRI; translab surgery Feb 2007 with Dr. Sahni and Dr. Shaia in Richmond, VA.; July 2009 CSF leak developed (clear liquid through nose) requiring repeat surgery to repair