Author Topic: Cyber Knife Treatment 2/7/07  (Read 8628 times)

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
Cyber Knife Treatment 2/7/07
« on: February 07, 2007, 08:58:25 pm »
Hey Gang: got done with my first in a series of three Cyber Knife Sessions at Stanford.  Perhaps I am a cock-eyed optimist or "overly" plucky- but man this was like a spa treatment!  Very relaxing- the cyber knife mask is really like a cotton/nylon fish stocking- very comfortable, with an open air ambiance enhanced by the music of Eva Cassidy.  (And this is radiation)?  Post treatment, I went and got a hotel with free internet access (note: book ahead of time in Palo Alto, hotels fill up quickly due to conferences at Stanford). I then called "the troops" to reassure that all was well, and then went to Stanford Shopping Center where I had lunch at Max's Opera Cafe followed by shopping.  Only downside, cyber knife isn't helping me loss the weight I need in the midriff area for those low rise jeans that I can't possibly wear!

I will have my treatment completed by Friday. I just can't believe how easy this is.  Stanford is very professional, took care of all the insurance paperwork, Support staff in particular is wonderful - I had a CT scan was done on Monday 2/5/07 and that was more of a hassle then the radiation treatment today.  After the CT scan on Monday, I had to drink 8 glasses of water prior to have a cup of coffee- needless to say, I stayed put in Palo Alto before driving anywhere for awhile! (I now know all the restroom locations at Stanford Shopping Center).

Will keep this stream updated with my treatment experience. Thanks, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Mark

Re: Cyber Knife Treatment 2/7/07
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:15:20 pm »
Annie,

Glad  ( but not surprised) to hear that the CK treatments are going well. Getting to the decision always seems to be the more stressful part of the journey. Since you're already exploring the local sites there at Stanford, I thought I'd make you aware of the Stanford CK tradition of having lunch ( or dinner , depending when you have treatment) at the California Cafe after your last treatment. A glass of wine toast is required  ;D

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

pearchica

• Hey!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 09:19:43 pm »
OOPS :P Mark- I already had a glass of Savignoun Blanc- and of course felt flushed afterwards! (HMM was it the steriod or the wine?...Hmm the wine as now it has worn off). Thanks for your support and what other places can you recommend for lunch/dinner? Take care, Annie
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:06:10 pm »
Annie

Thrilled day 1 is done and 2 more to go... and keep an eye for the "eye" if you haven't seen it already. :)  You're gonna do great! Hang in there and if the fatigue sets in, please listen to it.  Ok? :)  You are in wonderful hands....

continued wellness wishes!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 10:07:24 pm »
Bruce, next time, gimme a call.. those are my stomping grounds you got lost, missed the exit or got stuck!  Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pearchica

• Hey!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 10:34:02 pm »
Brucifer if it's of any comfort- I was late to my stanford appointment last week, but they were sweethearts and still saw me.  Also weren't too bothered that I was late... I don't know but this crowd is relaxed....

However, I booked a hotel that is 2 miles from the hospital just to make sure I'm not late again.. it was too nerve wracking last Friday.  And I actually started to cry in the car (the first time I have done this the entire process!) ... So cut yourself some slack, unfortunately, traffic happens.

(And I will be leaving an hour to go 2 miles, just because I don't want to be freaked out again)! Take care of yourself- Phyl is right, there is something to be said for having the elephant off your back.  Take care, Annie

Mark

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 10:48:50 pm »
Annie,

You're definitely an overachiever, I mean wine after the first day, really  :o. maybe you'll start a new tradition with a glass after each treatment.  ;D

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Lorenzo

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 12:58:04 am »
Get there early, and go to the cafe in the cancer centre for a nice espresso or juice while waiting. That was my routine! After treatment, it was usually a walk over to the Cantor Arts Centre and lunch at the cafe there. No wine though, not sure why!
Ciao
Lorenzo

marystro

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 01:08:16 am »
Hi Annie,

We took the campus tour and it was fun with my 8-year old and hubby.  It is such a nice campus and we mingled with the students and crowds at the book store.  Lots of cool places to hang out.  We sometimes just sat around the fountain and soaked up the sun.  Not sure what the weather is like this week but we had fun in the summer at Stanford and San Francisco ::) :D ;D

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

BevM

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 08:02:00 am »
Hi Annie:  I read your last post first, OOPs!   So I see your last treatment is Friday.  If you want to stop in Petaluma for a break on your way home, give me a call -xxx-xxx-xxxx or cell  xxx-xxx-xxxx and we could meet for coffee.  I also understand if you want to zip on home.

Bev

(Bev, I edited your phone numbers as it is not wise to post them publically on the internet for safety sake........I hope you understand.  Suggestion would be to email the info to Annie..... Thanks Phyl)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 08:55:56 am by ppearl214 »

shoegirl

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 03:38:36 pm »
Annie,

I am glad to hear your 1st CK treatment went well for you!  I am sure the remaining will be just as comfortable and easy!  Good Luck!

Best Wishes,
Suzanne
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

pearchica

• Hey!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 10:00:40 pm »
Day two- I did look for the eye as Phyl suggested. Interesting! Really amazing technology. Tonight I am definately more tired- really from the buzzed effect of the Steriods last night and lack of sleep I think. Tomorrow I get to go in early than YAHOO I am done!   ;D

thanks gang for all your support! Annie
PS NO wine tonight, still felt slightly flushed, but then I did try on lots of clothes! However, pants still don't fit! Must lose weight around midriff!

Lorenzo

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 01:27:35 am »
Did you have the blanched almond / beetroot red look too, right after CK? I found that the most alarming of it all! lol  I also liked the onion bag look when they took off the mask! Fun. Always took about an hour for the pattern to vanish!

ciao

Lorenzo
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 04:36:14 pm by Lorenzo »

marystro

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 10:32:34 am »
Now I remember my onion bag look.  ;D  So funny and also meshed hair - don't count on good hair day.
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

an0806

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 01:14:52 pm »
In my case, the mesh was so tight that I could not open my eyes, and I prefer not to either in case the nylon presses against my eyeballs. The radiologist told me when people try to watch the robotic arm they usually will start to move their head.

Although CK is much more comfortable and tolerable than head surgery, I'm still glad that it is bygone for me.

an0806

Male 53, 4mm CK at Stanford on 2/3/07