Author Topic: A positive outlook after AN surgery  (Read 11157 times)

jenn

A positive outlook after AN surgery
« on: January 31, 2007, 12:09:54 am »
I was diagnosed in Sept. 06 and had surgery just before Christmas at the age of 38.  I am writing this because after I was diagnosed with AN I jumped on the internet to learn all I could about my condition.  I was able to look up a lot of good information about what was going to happen surgery wise but not about the human aspect of the surgery.  Was I going to have headaches, how soon would I be back to a fairly normal routine, etc.  Everything I read was negative, negative, NEGATIVE!!  It really frightened me some of the testimonials.  I am a positive person and my experience with my surgery has been good and I want to share with you that it is going to be OK.

My surgery was the Trans Lab because I had severe hearing loss, it was 5 1/2 hours at Loma Linda Univ Med Center here in Calif.  While in the hospital I had to have a second surgery for the CSF leak coming out of my nose.  After 6 days I was discharged to home.  The first week I was weak and dizzy.  I walked with the assistance of a walker and needed help getting out of a chair because of the abdomen incision hurt.  The second week I was walking with only assistance from my husband.  I had to have another surgery because my abdomen had a very large blood clot that needed to be removed.  Minor surgery and I am glad I went ahead with it because I have healed much faster.  The third week I was walking by myself outside and around the house.  I was even attending my graduate classes twice a week, my husband drove me.  The fourth week I started driving around my town.  Now, six weeks later I am driving on the freeway and at night.  Not too much because I tire easily from concentrating so hard and looking around.  I did have Bells Palsy the second week but went away after 2 weeks.  Now that I did not like because my face froze and my eyelid would not work so I had to really protect it and I still tape it shut at night.

Even though I had to have 2 extra surgeries from complications I have done exceptionally well in my recovery.  It has been six weeks and I am almost back to my normal routine.  I have come to the conclusion that the more I am active the less imbalance I have.  Each week that passes I am getting better and better.  I have had an awesome support system with my family and the prayers of my church family and this is what has sustained me.  My outlook on life has changed.  I do not take for granted anything and do not let the little things bother me.  I think the main reason for my recovery is that I went into the surgery with a positive attitude.  I faced my condition head on and I conquered it one week at a time plus I am starting student teaching in February and that was a motivating factor.  I do not want to postpone.  As of now my plans are full steam ahead to start next week Feb. 5.  God Bless!!
2.0 cm AN diagnosed 09-06 Age 38
Surgery 12-06 Trans Lab at Loma Linda Univ. Med Center
Surgeon: Timothy Jung/MicroSurgeon: Lawrence Clark

Lorenzo

Re: A positive outlook after AN surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:02:46 am »
HI Jenn,

Fantastic to see a great success story! Those are never or  hardly ever on forums, for some reason.

Continued success in your recovery and good health!

Ciao, Lorenzo

Obita

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 06:58:01 am »
Hi Jenn:

Thank you so much for posting your story.  The good stuff needs to be told!! 

Best of luck to you, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 07:12:55 am »
Wonderful read,

Wishing you continued healing Jenn,

Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

cindysip

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 08:45:07 am »
Jenn, it is great to read your story. I too, believe there is a great that can be said for positive thinking. You didn't sugar coat anything...rather you made it very clear that it is possible to get through this and move on with your life.

Thank You!
Diagnosed 1/07 2mm AN - symptoms included spinning sensations when awakening, balance problems & mild hearing loss
6/07 - followup MRI no growth
6/08 - no growth, hearing unchanged

Denise

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 10:43:45 am »
I am happy, you situation is working out so good for you and your attitude remains positive.
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Sam Rush

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 11:21:23 am »
 Good Luck.  If you had gone to House clinic you probably wouldn't have had the csf leak
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Catflower

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 11:48:15 am »
Thank you so much for posting your positive experiences.  I just found out this morning that my surgery will be sometime the week of April 17th.

Linda

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 12:07:26 pm »
Good Luck.  If you had gone to House clinic you probably wouldn't have had the csf leak

Sam, I have to chime in and note that the comment about the CSF leak may have been a wee bit out of line (IMO).  As we all know, each indivdual reacts differently to surgeries, has different outcomes, etc.   I know many here that had their surgeries on the East Coast that did not run into CSF leaks, so their surgeons were just as good. 

I appreciate your thoughts and respect them, but House Clinic is not the only place to have AN surgeries (yes, their reputation is wonderful for AN surgeries, but so are other locations around the States).

Thanks.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 12:22:54 pm »
jenn,

Hi and welcome! :)  Goodness, you certainly have been through a lot in the past months, but I love your spunk/attitude as you are forging ahead and like so many others, life does go on post AN treatment.  I'm sorry to hear that the journey has been a bit bumpy but keep that attitude and you are going to do great.... plus, you have all of us here that have some good ears, great shoulders, bad jokes, watered down drinks and hugs for when you need them. So glad to see you here.

Hang in there... please rest when you need to... and know I'm cheering you on! :)

Again, welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 01:04:56 pm »
I was also a bit dismayed over the CSF leak statement. I also had a leak but the hospital had just changed to a new (meaning cheaper) colloidal implant and all of a sudden they had 3 leaks.    My surgeon does AN's on a weekly basis and one nurse said they rarely see a leak.            One would need to have further details about possibly why a particular leak occurred.
                                           Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 01:38:57 pm »
(hi all.  Hoping that the CSF leak comment has now been addressed and we can continue to our regularly schedule post and wishing jenn well in her recovery. She's doing a marvelous job and as her thread subject line notes..."positive outlooks".  Thanks for staying on track. Phyl)

Sam Rush

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 03:05:06 pm »
Didn't mean anything negative,  glad Jenn is doing well.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 03:49:48 pm »
 your gonna feel even better a few months from now! .. It took me a good 6 months before I felt "normal" and now a year+ later.. I feel even BETTER !! the tumor had been draining me for years !!   I'm still a kultz!  ;) and feel "off" at night .. but I can live with that ....  :)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 03:54:15 pm »
(psst, jenn... I've met JoeF... yep, he's a klutz!  :P)

continued wishes to you for speedy recovery/wellness.  :)

Phyl