Author Topic: A positive outlook after AN surgery  (Read 11156 times)

jenn

Re: A positive outlook after AN surgery
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 11:30:11 am »
Thank you everyone for your replies!!  It makes me feel just great!!  Has anyone gotten the BAHA (bone conduction hearing device)?  Since I am going to be a teacher, it has been hard for me to hear in the classroom environment and I think this would help me hear what I need to.  I am thinking about the surgery in summer...  :)
2.0 cm AN diagnosed 09-06 Age 38
Surgery 12-06 Trans Lab at Loma Linda Univ. Med Center
Surgeon: Timothy Jung/MicroSurgeon: Lawrence Clark

Sam Rush

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 11:57:24 am »
I have a BAHA, and consider it a luxury,  I do fine without it because my good side is 100%, but it does add to your life.

However, it is additional surgery, and the hardware is not covered by ins, and costs $4000.   Rachel, in audiology, at House is the local expert, she has a demo unit you can try before deciding..
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 12:56:20 pm »
hi jenn....

JoeF also has been wearing a BAHA for a while and has pictures of his as well (I think on his frappr page). Nice to get as many perspectives on it as you can, between Sam, JoeF and others here.  Here's the link to JoeF's profile if needed:  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=510.  Here's another great link from the "Hearing Forum" of the site. It contains a link to a video about BAHA... http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=2905.0

Hang in there!
Phyl
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 12:59:35 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 07:14:16 pm »
This was about 4 months from the AN surgery .. so the hair was still a little thin

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 04:08:51 pm »
Jenn:

Congratulations on your positive approach to this medical crisis,and your continued excellent recovery. 

Pre and post-op, I, too, had highly competent, experienced physicians, a solid support system at home and a positive attitude.  These all helped things not only go well - no surgical complications - but my recovery was rapid and basically total, within weeks.  My neurosurgeon was caring, compassionate and throughly experienced with AN removal surgery (30+ years ).  My leak-free, complication-free post-op experience validated my trust in his expertise.

Good to read another positive outcome to AN surgery.  We need all we can get.  I'm afraid some folks are so happy to be done with the surgery that they basically abandon this site and we never hear from them again.   Nothing we can do about that except to show our deep appreciation to those who 'come back' and share their good news with us. 

Thank you for doing that.   :)

Jim
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 04:55:03 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

redgrl

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 05:35:48 pm »
Thanks for sharing a wonderful story. Made me smile today!  ;D
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Jeanlea

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 12:03:22 pm »
Jenn, congratulations on your positive outlook.  Glad things are working out well for you.  I had a translab and have no hearing left.  It has been okay working in the classroom that way.  I teach 4th graders and they are good about it.  I am in the process of getting a TransEar.  I'm hoping that will help me pick up the conversations on my deaf side.  What will you be teaching?  Good luck with that.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

jenn

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 12:04:23 am »
Jean,  I am in the process of getting my Multiple Subject Credential.  I am conflicted with what grade I want to teach.  I have preschool experience and I thought teaching K or 1st would be good but the more I work with the older kids the less I want to be in the lower primary.  3rd or 4th grade would be good because they are more independent and the attitude hasn't developed like 5th or 6th grade.  Where ever I am placed after school I will just adapt and be thankful for a job.  Right now I am a poor poor graduate student starting student teaching on a volunteer basis.  No one wants to take interns here in Calif.!!  I have not heard of the procedure that you are having. Is it better than a BAHA or CROS devices and do you tell the students that you are deaf on one side so to speak loudly and clearly?

Jennifer

Jeanlea

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 09:33:15 am »
Jenn,

Those are all excellent grades to teach.  Last year when the school year began I was teaching Kindergarten.  I taught kinders the year before also.  My surgery was Sept. 6 so I was only with them for a week.  Just before my surgery there was a third grade opening that I took.  I came back on Halloween to begin teaching them.  This year I was able to take my class and loop to 4th grade.  I love whatever grade I'm teaching at the time.  All the grades have their own unique features that make them fun.
The TransEar is a hearing aid. There are some threads on here about it.  Even without I hear my students well.  I just can't hear them as well when they talk directly to my left side.  Good luck in your teaching.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

chelsmom

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 11:12:03 am »
Hi Jenn,

I'm glad to hear that all is going well and that your positive attitude has helped you through this journey.  We approached my daughters surgery with as much positive thinking as  possible but knew in advance the odds were against her.  Even at her worst, we kept looking for the positive.  This kind of thinking helps to make us strong. 

Do you live near Loma Linda.  We are from there.  Chelsea, my daughter, was first refered to a neurosurgeion at Loma Linda but our instincts told us to go to UCLA as she needed to be with someone with a lot of experience with the possible complications we were told about.   We were happy with our decision.  I know that Loma Linda has fabulous doctors and I'm glad everything went well for you.

Also, my husband is a teacher in the Redlands School District.  He teaches 5th grade and loves this age.  He has had several levels over the years and really likes the 4-5 grades the best. 

Best of luck......Michelle

Pembo

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 08:26:55 am »
Congrats on your recovery!!!

I have a Baha and I'm 38 with 3 kids. I love it and can't imagine life without it.

Check your pm's for more info! :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

susanw

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 07:19:39 pm »
My husband Bob, also had a very positive result from surgery. He was diagnosed on Oct 2, 2006 with small AN. We went to several places in our state (Florida) to seek different opinions. Two doctors told him  not to do anything for now, another told him to have it removed very soon. Due to the conflicing opiniions, Bob decided to sent his MRI to Dr. Brackman at House. Dr. Brackman suggested that Bob not wait too long for surgery. To make a long story short,we flew to LA and Bob was operated on January 16th with the translab approach. Dr. Brackman suggested the translab because Bob did not have much hearing to save. Everything went very well. no facial problems, no dizziness not even a headache, of course he is deaf on the left side. It has been four weeks and Bob is back at work and back to walking 4 miles a day. Needless to say, we are very satisfied with the treatment and doctors at House Clinic and we tahnk God for such a positive outcome.

jenn

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 05:56:49 pm »
I really like to hear about those positive stories.  I think even if I had many more complications it would have been OK.  I look back and it seems a long time ago that I was searching for some comfort on the internet and not getting any.  So to hear more stories of success even if it was after a long recovery is better than all of the negative. 

It is so great that Bob is doing good.  Actually, more than good because he is already back at work.  I did not push the back to work.  Being a mom and all I wanted to be "taken care of" for at least a little while. :D 

I believe that maybe why some AN'ers do really well is the positive mental outlook on life and being relatively healthy.  It would make a good study.  Will Bob get the BAHA implant to be able to hear bilaterally again or use the hearing aid devices?

I have heard many good things about House but unfortunatley my insurance, being an HMO, gives limited choices and I am happy that the "choice" went well.

I do have to report that I have interviewing for jobs and my short term memory is not working well.  I call it my brain freeze.  I am asked a question and I am trying to find in my mind the information but it just stays blank.  Now, maybe I am not a good interviewee but this is very frustrating. ???  Anybody have the same problems?

shoegirl

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 09:10:47 pm »
Jenn,

Just wanted to say  - Thank you!  Thank you for sharing your story.  It is wonderful to read positive AN stories.  Wishing you continued success in your recovery. 

Hope more ANers will post their successes!  Love reading them!

left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ