Author Topic: TransEar gets better each day  (Read 65276 times)

Leftie

Re: TransEar gets better each day
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2008, 01:38:10 pm »
To all at this forum---I have been reading your posts for several weeks now --  I found a great audiologist in my area who has fitted 12 of the Transear and as of Tuesday I have been wearing my new Transear 270.  I do notice a improvement!  I will be going to my 1st dinner Sat. and my first party Friday.  I volunteer at the Philadelphia Zoo and I was able to hear a kid today on my deaf side.  So far-so good.
2.5cm acoustic neuroma removed using middle fossa approach June 2002 by Dr. Brackmann at the House Clinic in LA.
Facial paralysis resolved to facial weakness.
Also have a benign meningioma (calcified) - no treatment required, just follow-up scans.
Received Transear Feb. 25, 2008.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2008, 05:37:52 pm »
Leftie....wonderful!!!!!   Enjoy the TransEar and your party! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Leftie

« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2008, 06:56:29 pm »
Question: When you are not wearing the Transear for short period of time where do you put the Transear? Do you put it in the Dry&Store and not turn the Dry&Store on? Or do you do something else (what)?
2.5cm acoustic neuroma removed using middle fossa approach June 2002 by Dr. Brackmann at the House Clinic in LA.
Also have a benign meningioma (calcified) - no treatment required, just follow-up scans.

Jeanlea

« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2008, 10:19:51 pm »
I got a little pouch for my TransEar.  I put it there if I'm out and wish to take it out for an hour or two.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #199 on: February 29, 2008, 08:16:50 am »
I also use the little blue pouch that came with the TransEar.  If you just need something to store it in for short periods of time, I'd think any small cloth bag would do.  It's not rigid, but offers some protection.  You could also use a small, clean tin or something similar.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #200 on: February 29, 2008, 11:46:43 am »
I use the blue pouch too.  I keep it in my purse with a set of fresh batteries in it in case I need those too.

Leftie

« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2008, 10:19:29 am »
I went to my first sit-down dinner (20 people) at a long table.  I heard so much more than I have in 5 years.  My husband was amazed!  To prove it to myself,  I took out my Transear, and then placed it back it  -big difference. Going back to audiologist on Monday, i think I need a drop of ajustment to the fit.  Thanks all for your info.

dcaronna

Re: TransEar Cost of placement
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2008, 10:25:06 am »
I just had surgery which resulted in SSD. Left ear.  I am looking into options, BAHA or TransEar.  What are the costs of the TransEar?  How long does it take to get fitted and is the trial period long enough to determine if the unit will meet usere expectations.
DAC

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: TransEar Cost of placement
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2008, 08:04:23 pm »
I just had surgery which resulted in SSD. Left ear.  I am looking into options, BAHA or TransEar.  What are the costs of the TransEar?  How long does it take to get fitted and is the trial period long enough to determine if the unit will meet usere expectations.
DAC

I think the quotes I've seen for TransEar here are mostly in the $2500-3000 range.  I paid $2600 for the unit itself, and $300 for all the audiologist fees (which includes free batteries for 1 year).  You have 30 days (I'm pretty sure) from the time you get the actual custom unit to return it for a full refund.  Getting it is actually pretty quick.  I had an initial consult with the audiologist to make sure I was a good candidate (you'll need a recent audiogram that shows both air and bone conduction for both ears).  During that appt, since I was sure I wanted a TransEar, the audiologist did the mold which just involves injecting some plastic mold into the ear canal and letting it sit for a few minutes to harden.  She sent that off to TransEar, and the unit came back less than 2 weeks later.

I've had 3 appts so far since getting it to turn up the volume as I get used to it, and to adjust the fit/tuning.  I actually haven't needed any adjustments to the fit, but have had the frequencies adjusted a bit. 

As you'll read from many of the accounts, I find that I don't consciously notice a lot of difference to my hearing when I'm wearing the TransEar.  And it can't return directionality.  But, I do notice a deficit when I'm not wearing it and my husband says he notices the difference when I'm not wearing it (Apparently I say "What???" a lot more without it!   :D

I've been very happy with it.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Boppie

« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2008, 08:08:13 pm »
Katie, 100% in agreement with your details.  I couldn't have said it quicker.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #205 on: March 07, 2008, 08:10:27 pm »
And I'll throw in a third agreement!  :)   

marg

« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2008, 11:20:07 pm »
I agree too Katie.  I have forgotten to wear my TransEar a  a couple of times to school since I got it ...and it is much more stressful.  I miss the 'extra edge' of "hearing" some of the talking going on on my deaf side - although I must turn it down (and sometimes off ) on the playground where it is very loud.    I can't imagine going back to life without my TransEar.  It gives me just enough to get by in my  teaching job with all those soft 2nd grade voices.
Marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

ChrisB

« Reply #207 on: March 25, 2008, 07:00:36 pm »
DAC,

I'll add a 5th or 6th to that list agreeing with Katie.  The difference with/without doesn't seem that much - until you forget it one day, or suddenly realize you just heard something you wouldn't have heard without it.

My personal recommendation, since you just had the surgery, is to wait at least 2-3 months, and get used to what it's like not to have the TransEar.  I honestly don't believe I would have appreciated it, and may very well have turned it back for a refund, had I gotten it in the first month or so.  The shock of a one-sided hearing world can be a bit overwhelming at first.  You may end up expecting (hoping for) too much, and not realize just how much you do gain from the TransEar.  It's almost impossible to explain to someone who hasn't already experienced it, but that subtle difference that is actually so significant, would likely not be noticed (or appreciated) in the first couple of months.

I woke up without left side hearing (not from surgery) in July 06, but didn't get the TransEar until January 07, mostly due to finances.  That 6 months was a real blessing in disguise, I think.  I'd moved out of the "seriously irritable" stage to only mild to moderate irritability. :-\   I was getting used to what it sounded and felt like with just one ear providing hearing.  In other words, it was sort of a new normal by the 6 month point.  So when the TransEar came, and after several months of hassling with my audiologist to finally get the programming reasonably right, I really appreciated the device.  I was walking down the sidewalk at church, leaving before my wife that day (she had a later meeting to stay for).  She was walking with me part way, we said good bye, and I turned and continued walking toward the parking lot.  Suddenly, with her almost directly behind me on my O.O.O.  ("Out Of Order") side, I realized she was talking to me again - and I understood her!  I tried to explain it away by assuming I was getting some sound bouncing off a wall of the church building not too far from me, but I really didn't think I would have heard her before the TransEar.  I turned around and asked her if she thought I'd have been able to hear her with my back almost toward her and my bad ear slightly facing her with my good ear somewhat away from her.  She looked shocked - I can still remember the look on her face.  She hadn't realized I had turned around so far and walked as far away as I had.  When I turned back around to ask the question, she replied, "You heard that?!?!?"  To check it out, I went across the street, turned my O.O.O. ear directly toward her on the other side of the street,  Remember, we were also in the "great expanse of the outdoors" (a tough hearing situation with nothing to bounce sound back to your good ear).  She was at least 20 feet away.  She started talking and I repeated back everything she said.  Having been used to SSD for more than ½ year by then, we both knew instantly what the TransEar was actually doing for me - and appreciated it all the more.  You don't know what you've gained back, until you really know what you're missing, and that only comes with time.

Long response, only occasional visitor these days, but hope this helps.  I'm now two months past the warranty period, and not at all sorry I bought it.  I'd do it again now, if I had to.  Best wishes to you DAC.  It can be very frustrating, even depressing at times, when you're suddenly without good bilateral hearing.  But it's not the end of the world, I found out, and I hardly think about it much anymore - other than still being aware I have to say, "What was that, again?" more than I'd like - but not as much as the 6 months without the TransEar.  And crowds with lots of noise are still unpleasant, but not nearly as bad as they used to be.

Chris B.

marg

« Reply #208 on: July 28, 2008, 11:56:53 pm »
Still enjoy my TransEar..... but notice in the summer (school is out) I don't wear it every day if I'm just staying home ... but I plan to wear it daily again once school starts in the Fall..... makes my job easier.
marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Jeanlea

« Reply #209 on: July 29, 2008, 08:20:18 am »
I'm still wearing my TransEar even in the summer.  Only take it out when I'm running or near water.  The other day I had some music playing on my computer and was talking on the phone.  I realized that I was hearing my computer music through the TransEar!  Usually I don't notice such a distinction.  I think it gets even better as your brain adapts. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD