Author Topic: Grandma's Cures  (Read 34172 times)

redgrl

Re: Grandma's Cures
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2007, 03:29:07 pm »
Fried cricketts! Really! you guys need to stop it right now!   :D
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

marystro

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2007, 03:34:38 pm »
I was told in the past headache from dehydration (or red wine, in my case) could be eased with drinking lots of water.  When I did that I just ended up having to go to the bathroom a lot.  Can't recall if it actually helped.  Headache eventually subsided anyway.  With AN related headache, I haven't tried the water remedy yet.  Curious about what H2O does to your head?
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2007, 03:43:49 pm »
Interesting theory Mary... I know there was a recent incident with H2O and a woman that participated in a radio contest that "OD'd" on H20, so please be careful.

I have used a variety of holistic eye and forehead packs, made with lavander, chamomille, etc.  I keep them in the freezer (in a zip bag to keep the aromatherapy/aromas intact)... then, if I get one of my massive headaches, I take out of the freezer, lay down and place over my eyes and/or forehead.  After approx 30 minutes, does work for me.......

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Static

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2007, 07:58:26 pm »
Phyl,
I've used that too and it has helped the relief come a little faster but when the headaches are coming on an almost daily basis with no real pattern other than some apparent relation to the barometer, I really would love to find something that won't stop me from daily life!  I wake up, go to work and function (although barely some days) most of the time with a headache   ???  Until I find something that works, I really hate going through this.  I have gone months and hardly had many headaches at all, then they start up again  :-\  Once the weather warms up around here, I'm heading down to the headache clinic in Philly to see what they have to say!  I'll  bet Deb's probably already been this route but I'll update if I find out anything new!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2007, 03:46:59 pm »
Here's how my brainwrecks work--2 days of excrutiating neck pain followed by the brainwreck which usually wakes me up from a sound sleep. During the neck pain, I use a Thermaphore heating pad and this stuff called Bio-freeze, which to me is yuppied-up Tiger Balm.  Then when the brainwreck starts I use an icepack on the pack of my neck and some neck traction by using a rolled up towel, if I can keep still. I get really agitated. My doggie used to help with the agitation, but she is in doggie heaven now.

Also, the water thing is really important!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Static

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2007, 05:15:25 pm »
I don't get any warning, my headaches just come.  Sometimes putting a little pressure on the top of my head hurt.  Today I got one that was, on a scale from 1-10, a 20!  It slowed down a little bit so I got into the shower.  The hot water hitting my head (I use a shower massage on pulsate because my hair is thick) actually made it feel even better!  Can I just stand in a hot shower all day???
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Lorenzo

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2007, 01:26:27 am »
Standing in the shower all day, now there's an idea. Plus it might help mask the tinnitus too! Excellent suggestion. One question though: how do you overcome the prune skin thing?
I'm off to the shower!

I find that standing uder the shower is such a soothing thing, it helps with neck pains from working on my computer, and settles the rare headaches that are not weather related. Water seems to be very good for us, inside and out, and it's brain food!

Keep drinking it guys!

Ciao, Lorenzo

wiltedrose

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2007, 04:27:07 pm »
Are you saying that Gatorade will help all kinds of headaches?  I went to my doctor on because I have been having neck pain and really bad headaches.  He told me I had arthritis in my neck and also had chronic migraines.  The arthritis showed up when I had an MRI back in July of last year. I've been having these headaches for over 5 weeks but I've had migraines before and the pain isn't the same as what I'm having now.  He gave me a prescription for Vicoden, Phenergan, Topamax and a muscle relaxant but none of them help my headache.  I go to bed with one and wake up with one and it hurts all day and is just about to drive me crazy because I can't get any relief.

At this point I'm ready to try almost anything to get rid of the pain so if you think Gatorade might help would you please let me know.

Thank you.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2007, 10:42:48 am »
wiltedrose,
From your other post you asked what an acoustic neuroma was--this site is for patients with this rare form of brain tumor, however, there is a great site for folks with cluster headaches at http://www.clusterheadaches.com where you might find more information for your headaches--they also have a discussion forum like this one.  Also--the National Headache Foundation is a good source, too.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW