Author Topic: Can anyone give me info on this MRI  (Read 5560 times)

Gunner41

Can anyone give me info on this MRI
« on: January 18, 2007, 08:33:50 pm »
Hello everyone, I am new here and have some inquiries.  I am a 22 year old male with left sided tinnitus and somewhat debiliating balance problems.  I also experience vertigo from time to time but mostly have pretty severe disequilibrium.  I suffered similar problems in 2003 that lasted for about a year and then seemed to disappear.  During that time I had many different tests relating to balance, hearing, and eventually was sent for an MRI.  Everything came back normal and eventually I got on with my life.  In March of 2006, I suffered an ear injury which seemed to bring back the symptoms of disequilibrium, vertigo, and tinnitus.  Since then, my symptoms seem to have gotten worse and I find it very difficult to stand and walk.  My tinnitus is still on my left side and flucuates quite alot.  I have had two more MRI's (the latest with contrast) since this started and all have come back normal, and have seen multiple doctors concerning my problems.  My question is what exactly could this be?  I am quite worried that this could be an acoustic neuroma or worse, NF2.  My latest MRI was with contrast and it came back normal and I don't have any hearing loss.  When I received a copy of it, I took a look out of curiosity at the acoustic nerves.  From what I can see, the left side looks somewhat strange compared to the right side, not enhanced like one would expect from a tumour, but strange and distorted.  My otolyrgylogist says it is nothing and like I said, the radiology report came back normal.  What should I make of it?  Is it possible to miss a tumor on a contrast enhanced MRI or am I just worrying needlessly? 

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:39:18 pm by Gunner41 »

Battyp

Re: Can anyone give me info on this MRI
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 11:03:56 pm »
Gunner have they ruled out meniere's?  Labyrhintis(sp)?  Is your mri being read by someone who is knowledgeable about AN's?  I'm not a medical professional just throwing somethings out to think about. 

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 05:32:33 am »
I'm no doctor... but usally, you can't miss a AN on a MRI w/contrast .. mine looked like a cooked Egg in my head...
I suppose if it 1 or 2mm, it might be hard to see .. but I dont think you would have the problems you are!

remember LOTS of things can effect the hearing and balance .. not just AN's .. infections come to mind.. or just bad ears!
the doctors did right my sending you for a MRI w/contract ... but now its time to check for other things..

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

tony

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 10:13:07 am »
I go with the suggestions so far...
maybe ask for a set of electronic copies of the recent  MRI ?
- you might then send them on to the House Ear clinic ?
They will take a look and give an opinion
Currently it maybe unlikely an AN
- even less NF2 - but there are other possibilties
Might be worth getting some hearing tests done
- if there is loss anywhere it may give a clue etc
Best regards
Tony

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 01:13:05 pm »
Gunner41,
  I agree a second opinion may be a good idea.  You've gone some time without a diagnosis.  Most tertiary teaching hospitals, associated witha major medical cener, will have at least one Neuro-otologist.  I'd advise you to seek out an expert for a second look.  Good luck.
Regards,
 Rob 
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Gunner41

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 09:24:02 am »
Thank you for your replies everyone.  Yes they have ruled out Menieres and they said labrythitis seems unlikely.  I guess a second opinion would be good and I wouldn't mind sending a copy of my MRI to House Ear Clinic, how do you go about doing that though? 

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 01:56:53 pm »

http://www.houseearclinic.com/losangeles.htm

just give them a call , they are very good about returning calls ... a Dr. will call you back within a day or so, usally later in the day after their rounds..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital