Author Topic: AN's in Maryland  (Read 3111 times)

TastyKakeman

• 2.0cm removed John Hopkins Dr Henry Brem .
AN's in Maryland
« on: January 12, 2007, 03:42:02 pm »
Looking for anyone close by. I live in Harford County, Maryland . Just looking for anyone who had their AN operated on at Johns Hopkins Hospital . My doctors are DR Brem and DR Holiday. Trying to compare our AN's. Left side paralyzed, no hearing in left ear, Left eye stays open. 3 months post-op. Waiting for something to improve. Bob
Bob

Battyp

Re: AN's in Maryland
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 07:21:34 pm »
Bob I had surgery with a Dr. Brem in FL ..wonder if there's any relation betwee the two?  LOL  I truly think 3 mos out was the toughest month I had.  What have your doctors said about your eye and paralysis?

M

TastyKakeman

• 2.0cm removed John Hopkins Dr Henry Brem .
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 11:23:53 am »
Your Dr. Brem is my DR. Brem's brother. He told me this in my first consultation with him. I go back to ask those questions this month. On the 18th of Jan I get my 3 month MRI. The face and the droop of the left side of my face is the most of my problems. My left eye has been stitch at the corner. I lost my hearing in my left ear. The eye is great and the loss of hearing I can accept. I just need the face to come back. Thanks .
Bob

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 04:54:06 pm »
Oh wow what a small world.  I didn't know he had a brother :o) I lost my hearing before my surgery so knew that wasn't going to be saved  :(  I think it's easier to deal with that the face.  My face doesn't droop I just don't feel it.  :(  Did you wake up with the droop?  I know mine has changed since my surgery but it took a real real long time.  I had a slight symmetry thing going in my mouth.  When I'm real tired my left side will droop just a wee bit.  Most people don't notice.  My mom picks up on it right away and will tell me to go take a nap like I'm a 3 year old  LOL  You're screen name makes me want to go eat tasty cakes  LOL

chrissmom

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 01:12:02 pm »
   Chris had a 5+ cm AN removed this past summer.  His face didn't start to droop immediately because he is young and has tone but within a month, his facial paralysis was evident.  In October, he had facial nerve anastomosis to reanimate the face.  It will take about a year for it to work.  I'm already seeing tone returning to his face.

About your eye, the doctors implanted a gold weight in his eye about a week after his final AN surgery.  They knew that soon  his eye wouldn't close ( and they were right).  An eye that doesn't close can easily dry out or  become injured, either way a cornea transplant would be necessary.  The gold weight is completely hidden in the eyelid and you can't even tell that he has one.