Author Topic: Going back to work -- timing  (Read 7891 times)

maarten

Going back to work -- timing
« on: January 12, 2007, 12:02:10 pm »
What is the common view on going back to work? I guess it all depends on the severity of one's after effects, but do people generally go back after a specific interval of time after the surgery? I have heard that 6-8 weeks is common. Any thoughts? Do you recommend starting at a part-time basis? I just don't know whether I can concentrate for long periods of time and how f.e. headaches will manifest while at work and being exposed to deadlines/stress etc.

Any experiencecs/thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Maarten

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Going back to work -- timing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 12:16:39 pm »
Hi Maarten:

I went back to work 2 months after AN surgery: 3 days a week for the first 2 weeks. 
It was tough at first - I do alot of walking, telephone calls, computer work - I was slower than usual, but gradually got into the flow again. 
Fatigue was horrible - after work I'd just want to lie down & sleep (still do !!), but it IS getting better.

One of the toughest things was dealing with people staring at me (like a car crash you can't look away from) - people wondering if I had a stroke, etc.  Well, that too gets easier with time.

Best wishes Maarten, Nancy
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 05:14:14 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:22:57 pm »
Maarten there have some who have gone back to work without problems, some who have gone back part time working up to full time and some like me who after a year post op are still trying to go back to work.  :o(  Everyone is different and it is dependent upon what you do for a living.  I tried to go back part time and the stress made my symtpoms worse and I couldn't do part of my job.  My doctors let me go back part time for 6 mos and then reevaled where I was at that point.  I wasnt' in a good place so they pulled me back.  Everyone is different but I wouldn't push to go back before your ready if it takes 6 weeks it takes 6 weeks. If you need modifications to go back contact your local vocational rehabilitation office and they will assist you.

Obita

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 06:28:12 am »
Hi Maarten:

I went back for 4 hours a day at 8 weeks.  I did that for at least 2 weeks.  It worked much better for me to ease into it. Multi-tasking was almost impossible for me at first. 

Good luck, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 06:40:51 am »
I went back to work slowly at week 4 after CK. Initially found it very difficult with concentration and 'cognitive' problems. Gradually imporved over 8 months or so. Now back to normal. Mulit-tasking is something that is not fully back yet, but then that's more to do with being a man than an AN!  :)
Lorenzo

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 09:10:38 am »
I went back to work slowly at week 4 after CK. Initially found it very difficult with concentration and 'cognitive' problems. Gradually imporved over 8 months or so. Now back to normal. Mulit-tasking is something that is not fully back yet, but then that's more to do with being a man than an AN!  :)
Lorenzo

About the same for me post-CK.  1st week post treatment, was at work part-time as the fatigue was rather bad.. and inch by inch, day by day, things have become better.  Now (OMG!  :o ) 9 mos post treatment, I am working full-time, just about 90-95% back to what I was pre-treatment and moving along..... little things here and there, but nothing major. Doing great!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

redgrl

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 04:21:06 pm »
Wish i could go back to work. Help keep my mind off things. ;D
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 05:01:19 pm »
I'm with you Red.  I'm bored at home  LOL 

al

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 04:45:04 pm »
Hi Maarten,

I went back to work exactly 12 weeks after my surgery.  I was being paid full time and I just didn't feel I was ready to hit the NY subway and buses.  The first two days I worked till 3pm but after that full time.  I work from 8am - 5pm, but usually stay later.   The only problem I had when I returned to work was my balance being a little off, but I managed fine.  It was strange though since I am deaf in my right ear (translab), when someone would call me, I couldn't tell from where the voice was coming from.  Also I found it's hard when you are in a large room with a lot of people, but you get used to it like everything else. It's been 5 months now since my surgery.  You do learn to adjust.  Just don't rush it and take as long as you will need to.  I was actually getting so bored at home.

Good luck
AL   

Denise

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 07:21:07 am »
Hi,
I went back to work part time after about 2 1/2 months, then full time after 5 months. I was not ready, but my insurance dumped me when I wasn't working at least 30 hrs/week.  There were a few days that I know I dozed off at my desk.  Luckily my boss is a nice guy and didn't say anything. 

Take your time, get plenty of rest, and if you can go back part time at first then its a good idea.

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines