Author Topic: Sleep, or lack thereof  (Read 8446 times)

Lorenzo

Sleep, or lack thereof
« on: January 11, 2007, 02:49:41 pm »
HI all,

Here's a question I'm wondering about for a while now. I've been having trouble trying to shift my sleep pattern back to a semblance of normality. I used to be a regular 22.30 / 23.00 to about 7.00 type of guy (ya, ok boooooring... well, I did grow up in Switzerland, I blame them. Confused?) but now, for the past eight months I find it really hard to stay awake until then, and I regularly, every day, wake up at 4.00 / 4.30 / 5.00. Thing is, I can't shift the timeframe. I tried to saty up on consecutive nights and I still wake up early. Nothing helps, except changing time zone by flying somewhere. Nice, but really not practical.

Any of you had sleepig problems after CK? Now, don't get me wrong, I sleep like a stone, usually takes me half a page to fall alseep, and when I am asleep, I sleep. Out. Gone. Thanks to a bad ear, i can now sleep  anywhere. Of course that's an advantage, but waking up before the birds do is no fun.

Hey, it just dawned one, I could retrain as a baker! That would solve the 'need more work' question!

Seriosuly, anybody had / has something similar and how do you deal with it?

Yawn,

Lorenzo

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Sleep, or lack thereof
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 02:54:20 pm »
I've heard insomnia goes with the flow when it comes to brain tumors (overall). Will have to find where I read it (may be in the "Brian Tumor and Fatigue" booklet I picked up at Brigham/Woman's).

Like you, my sleep patterns are totally thrown off.  I can't wait to fall alseep but to stay asleep is a different thing all together.  Have tried sleep aids and find that after 4 hrs of deep sleep, I am then, wide awake. 

BTW, I'll place my order for Cinnamon Raisin Bread, thankyouverymuch! :)

Will watch this thread to see if others have also run into this issue and have remedies for their sleep issues.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Monie

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 03:07:25 pm »
I have been a dreadful insomniac all my life, but lately have found a couple of glasses of red seem to completely knock me out and I sleep like a baby from 9pmish til 6/6:30amish....not that i am suggesting that drinking is ideal (I have NEVER been a regular drinker, just at parties occasionally) but hey, it's working for me, for now...I find that the tinnitus really takes it out of me and I desperately need that quiet time that only sleep affords. The down side of of a few wines is potential weight gain....along with other possible down sides associated with ongoing alcohol consumption but perhaps these are outweighed by the wonderful benefits of real, uninterrupted, peaceful, deep sleep  :)
Cheers
Monie
Diagnosed Nov 06
1cmx7mmx5mm right side AN
Unsure whether to have surgery or join the wait and watchers???
Have tinnitus, hearing loss, dizziness.
35yo, married to a wonderful man, two beautiful small children
Need to know it will be OK
Live in Queensland, Australia

Lorenzo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »
Ya, tried the wine route, and still pesisting wit it. Of course enjoying every sip of it, needless to say. It does zonk me, big time (i just woke up from the couch, on my way to bed now actually...) but sadly, it makes no difference in terms of sleeping longer. For me, sleeping earlier does mean waking ealier. I still sleep, I just can't shift that damn 'going to bed' time! I just want to be able to sleep until 7.00, that's all. Simple. If only...

Oh yes, I don't wake up during the night either, unless of course you consider 4 am the middle of the night.

In fact, I was just thinking of cutting out all alcohol for a while and see if that helps. Might make a big difference in fact.

Thanks for the replies!  :)

'Nite.

Lorenzo

PS Cinnamon Raisin bread? Sure, will bake some next week. Would DHL be ok?

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:10:22 pm »

what about coffee or soda.. ? cut out some of the caffiee maybe?
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:34:02 pm »
Sleeping has been a big problem for me.  It was determined that since my surgery my brain isnt' shutting down so I've tried the rx meds but like phyl said sleep 4 hours then I'm UP...the doctor has had me use benedryl which knocks me out so well I feel icky the next day, One sip of wine and I'm drunk so that didn't work.  I occasionally when I'm climbing the walls will take a xanax to help my mind shut off.  No caffiene, no naps, and the go to bed get up at the same time routine is where I'm at in the process.  I tend to get up at 4 regardless of when I go to bed.  I go to bed tired and wake up tired.  How exhausting!

Cinnamon bread...YUMMM Phyl you have to share!

Lorenzo

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 11:27:02 pm »
And I  thought I was the only one getting up at some unnatural hour! I'm like you, get to bed at any hour, and I still wake up at 4. Before Christmas I was reduced to going to bed at 20.00 so I could get my hours of sleep, with a few waking moments (minutes) in between. I haven't  tried any drugs for sleeping yet. I'm going to see my local Neurosurgeon on Wednesday (part of Dec follow-up) so i will bring this up with him.

I don't drink soda or any caffeinated sugary drinks. Coffee is another story. I do have a few espressi a day, but most of them are decaf, except for one in the morning. Maybe I cut out that one too. Stress I think it's a factor too, and college work is supplying a lot of that factor right now. Maybe I should cut that factor out as well! :)

Ah the  happy days of uninterrupted sleep for 8-9 hours a night... Happy memories.

Ciao, Lorenzo
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:42:11 pm by Lorenzo »

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 07:25:00 am »
Lorenzo,
  Try cutting out the wine for a week.  I find that if I have a glass of vino to late in the evening, I wake at 4:00 AM.  This may not be what's going on, but it's worth a try.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Lorenzo

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 07:32:27 am »
HI Rob,
Ok, sounds like a good idea that I was slowly getting around to myself.. Hard not to have a glass of nice wine with a meal... But, worth a try. Maybe just the occasional one and cut it out otherwise. Sigh...

Thanks for the suggestions. Oh, and chocolate too ye think?? Oh ooooookk, I guess soooo.... SIGH!

Ciao, Lorenzo

cindy

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 08:03:04 am »
Sorry this has nothing to do with sleep patterns after ck. This was the only way I knew how to get into touch with Lozenso. I have been talking to Kathy and she suggested I talk to you, because you live in Ireland and I live in Ireland. I would be interested in knowing what you had to go through with the health system in Ireland. What Doctor??? I was recently Dx with An and going for results of my MRI this Wednesday. My Doctor is Fenton and he is at the Regional in Limerick. I hope you don't think this is rude in posting my message here. Please feel free to contact me through my e-mail if you wish. kynursecindy@hotmail.com

Thanks
Cindy

Obita

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 08:18:49 am »
Hi Cindy:

Lorenzo will probably see your post but if he does not, you can click on his username. You will find a link to send him a personal message.

Good luck Wednesday my friend, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Lorenzo

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 12:07:01 pm »
HI Kathy and Cindy, I just made contact with Cindy via her e-mail. 'Nice' to see another person from Ireland.
Ciao, Lorenzo

Obita

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »
Great news Lorenzo and Cindy. 

Everyone needs an AN friend in the same country!!  ;D

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04

Lorenzo

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 12:27:29 am »
Hi Kathy,   Thanks for that. I remembered that you had mentioned Cindy before of course, but I got somehow distracted from tracking her. She found me instead. LOL
Ciao, Lorenzo
:D

Obita

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 06:47:45 am »
Hi Lorenzo:

I think you were going on holiday when I mentioned another AN in Ireland.  My guess is that you are the only Lorenzo in Ireland????  Couldn't be too hard to find you!!

Have a good day, Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04