Author Topic: Resonance in the AN ear  (Read 24689 times)

Pablo

Resonance in the AN ear
« on: January 07, 2007, 04:40:59 am »
Hi,
 Today I woke up and noticed that I hear some sort of resonance in the AN ear when a sound is perceived. Mostly is when people talk, some sort of distorted resonance, it's very distracting and annoying. I remember having this problem several years back nd having to put a ear plug to avoid hearing at all, but somehow it went away. Doe anybody have similar symptoms, are they permanent? I was wondering if it has to do with FSR I had seven months ago.
Thanks in advance 
2.5 cm x 3.0 cm  right side
FSR  7/2006
Cabrini Medical Center, NYC

tony

Re: Resonance in the AN ear
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 06:38:54 am »
It may be the treatment - and by all means check with your Doc
Meanwhile - I did get these symptoms - but did not have FSR
I would describe them as fairly typical AN effects
(why hearing tests are of limited value with ANs - they dont measure
distortion - which is quite common in the condition)
best regards
tony

Pablo

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 08:26:23 am »
Thanks Tony, I will definitely check with my doctor. I would really like to believe this is not a permanent condition since it distracts me and irritates me too much.
Thanks again for your feedback, maybe this is not as uncommon as I thought.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 10:37:43 am by Pablo »
FSR  7/2006

tony

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:06:41 am »
Sorry, one further thought, sometimes post-treatment swelling,
or even a minor cold can cause similar results.
The type over-the-counter pain killer that reduces swelling/inflammation
on soft tissue, taken in moderation, can sometimes improve things
good luck
tony

Pablo

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:36:37 am »
Tony, right on.
I am just recovering from a bad cold I had recently. Do you mean stuff like Advil (Ibuprofen?)
Thanks again.
Pablo
FSR  7/2006

tony

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 10:38:01 am »
err yes - but dont overdo it
best regards
tony

Pablo

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 10:58:10 am »
Thank you.
 :D
FSR  7/2006

Dealy

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 10:04:09 am »
Pablo- I had FSR at Johns Hopkins 6 months ago- I also have this condition. IT is even worse because it is my only hearing ear. Sounds are distorted and I really cannot sometime make out what people say. I just had a 6 month MRI but have not heard back from Johns Hopkins. The preliminary report states that I have Chronic Mastoidus. Not knowing what this is i looked it up in the medical book. It is inflamation of the Mastoid bone. I have had this distortion for 3 months now. I do not know if this is permanent-I sure hope not. If I find any answers out or you do-please post on this thread. My AN is 2.4X2.2CM. I had 96% hearing before FSR-This has decreased to 90%. Ron

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 10:58:30 am »
Ron, Tony & all,

I'm one mo. out from FSR and I can't tell what is being said, very well.  I have the severe "blown-up" ear feeling.  I also have the rumble sound of people talking.  I have of course, the high pitched "whine-sounds," and it is very hard to live with.  With shrinkage say over a couple of years, I wonder if the FULLNESS of the ear can *ever* subside.  My ear feels 24/7 like it is so very full.  Can that go away, I wonder?  Is it at all possible when some of the cells die and or the tumor shrinks, if it does at all.  I think it is documented that one-third of the patients have a chance of shrinkage.  Will people please elaborate on this.  I tried Advil for swelling and no relief.  I can't do steroids.  I can't concentrate.  I'm always aware of my ear.  Oh, and I have a new type of cracke-shift (I call it) where it feels like the tumor is making noise also.  It feels like the tumor is moving on and off a nerve.  I actually feel it move.  Is that the cells dying?  I started these new symptoms at the first of the year.  (one mo. out of the CK)  I thinking of calling Stanford today but, I don't know what good that will do.  (they just might tell me to take that steroid pill I still have)  I'm having trouble thinking and losing interest in life, quite a bit.  I'm having much trouble being productive and this bothers me.  I was always a busy and productive person.  I'm having a very hard time since the beginning of the year.  (1st Jan.)  I can relate to all of you!  Thank you for your help to me and others on this subject.

Palace
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 11:22:32 am by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 11:54:14 am »
 ???

Hi again...

I did place a call into Stanford.  I will try and let you know what they tell me.  I'm awaiting a call back.

Pal
single sided deafness

Dealy

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 12:03:20 pm »
Palace: Sorry to hear of your current condition. I am at work on my lunch period. Guess what. Lately my surgery ear from 18 years ago is driving me nuts. It screams and crackles at me like crazy sometimes. I cannot answer your questions at this time-but I can certainly relate. Sometimes I feel like you and say what the heck-but I know that is not an answer. We have too keep on going on hoping this will get better over time. I have never been one for patience-but I have too now. I have been waiting aliitle over a week now to hear from Johns Hopkins. I gave up along time ago trying to call them-e-mail is easier and faster. I hope you start feeling better. Take it one day at a time-you are in my thoughts. Ron

marystro

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 02:32:42 pm »
Palace,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I found email is very effective with Stanford.  You should in addition to calling send them an email.  They have been very good in getting back to me by email especially if there is an urgency.
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

Sam Rush

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 02:39:38 pm »
I had translab at HEI more than 2 yrs ago and should have no sound in my AN side, but I get an occasional howling sound that lasts 1-2 sec ??? Could be a phantom sound, like the pain of a phantom limb that had been amputated. Anyone w/ similar ex. after translab surgery??. Not really disturbing, but academically interesting.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Lorenzo

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 02:47:17 pm »
HI Palace,

I would be very surprised if the cells would start to feel like they're dying, especially not so soon after CK. Might be some swelling of the AN? I had a full ear sensation after CK for about a month, but not that severe. Shrinking of tumour can happen a good while after CK, depending on the protocol. Some shrink after six months maybe, mine only shrank a bit now after two years.

As for the trouble thinking and loosing interest in life and being productive, i KNOW! I had exactly the same thing!!! I felt like I was really loosing it big time, just couldn't comprehend stuff that wass going on around me. VERY scary. It lasted like that for a while, but it gradually got better, over time. All I can say is from personal experience: what helped me the most is accept the eefect, adjust to them and the new situation, reduce the workload temporarily, and hope like mad that things would improve. I slowed down dramatically! It worked!! Now, I'm back to normal, more or less, better than before CK.

hang in there, remember, we may have had the non-surgical option, but it is still a MAJOR surgery, and the body needs time to recover. Stress and even depression would be quite normal I would think; someone even suggested Post traumatic Stress Syndrome. Wouldn't be surprised.

All the best, take care of yourself.

Lorenzo

Sam, that could be tinnitus too. Not all tinnitus is constant, it can change pitch, type, frequency and even vanish and reappear, as far as I know.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 08:04:54 pm »
Hello you nice people:

It was just after five in the afternoon today that Stanford called me back .

I was told that I need to get an audiologist test right away to compare if I'm losing what I have left of my hearing!(what Stanford tried to save) 

If that is the case, I'd need steroids right away if I were to try and save what is left of my hearing in the right ear.  I told the nurse of my experience on steriods and going to ER.  (the anyphalaxis shock symptoms) 

She did say to take the pain medication if I need it and so far I was holding out on that.  I have some of those pills left.  She did say to have a doctor look in my ear to see if I had an ear infection.  If you have followed my postings, I just was there very recently (ENT) and he looked in my ears.  I'm OK on that. 

Yes, I might have extreme swelling right now.  Since the ENT place just closed.  I will call in the morning and see how soon I can get in.  If it is a long time from now, I may have to go to Stanford for the hearing testing, right away.

There is a storm on Thursday but, the weather is looking good for traveling a bit.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words of support.  Peace of mind helps just knowing I called Stanford and it is being handled some how some way.  I shouldn't take steroids again but, stay tuned and we shall see the results of the hearing test.

Thanks to all who posted your experience and that you were there for me.........

Palace
single sided deafness