Author Topic: Radiation and Necrosis  (Read 11468 times)

Dealy

Radiation and Necrosis
« on: January 01, 2007, 04:42:31 pm »
I was reading through some of the posts today and got too wondering. The people who had Radiation on the site ( whether it be CK-GK-FSR) when did you start to get necrosis of your tumor. I being 6 months out-alll it says is less enhancement. Thought this might to a good topic to post for those who are further along and tumor is dying. Thans for any replies-Ron

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
Re: Radiation and Necrosis
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 05:09:56 pm »
Hi Ron, though I am just almost 1 month Post-Ops I do think this will be a great topic, so others will see what to and approx. when to expect changes. I have spoke to a few between 1year to 10 years post-ops who said that the major changes took place within the first 6-18 months, and after that it seems to slow a little, but continues for up to 2 years. usually after the 2 year mark the tumor goes into the stage of shrinkage(DIE TUMOR DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I guess it depends on the individual, and their physical condition.

Happy New Year!!!!!!
Sam
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 08:11:02 pm »
Hi Ron and Sam,

Well, for me.... I had my CK the first week of April of 2006.  I had a 6 month MRI and at that time, there was no further growth of the AN (mine was growing at a good clip).  Due to other issues, I had another head MRI at 8 months... at the 8 month MRI (I took a really good look at the films prior to meeting with my radio-oncologist) and he did confirm.... the beginning stages of "tumor death" was commencing.  As you may know, it may take 1-1/2 to 2 yrs for the tumor to die, but the beginning stages were seen on my films at 8 months.  (in looking at the films, you could see the center area of the AN almost "shadowed" - darker, than the outter rim. The Radiologist report confirmed a "rim-enhanced" growth with a darkened center).

It was my early holiday present in December.

Wishing you a VERY quiick tumor death as well!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

amymeri

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 04:47:48 pm »
This topic interests me because I have an aquaintence who just got GK and was back to work in a day or two.  I was so jealous.  He has so side effects...nothing.  I had 13 hour surgery and months of recovery.  I will pass along this thread because I am sure he will be interested.

Anyways, you can clearly see on my initial MRI a large wishbone shape inside that doesn't enhance, where my tumor was starting to die pre-surgery.  I wonder if that meant it was done growing??

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

David Wrubel

Amy....
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 08:36:02 pm »

That's quite a coincidence that you actually know someone personally who also had an AN.

Did you docors have an answer to your question about your tumor growth? At that size, even if it HAD stopped growing, it would have continued to put pressure on your facial nerve and perhaps the facial nerve so that it would have to come out anyway, no?
Regards....DW

5+ cm right side AN removed at House Clinic, Drs. Friedman & Hitselberger 4/13/2000, age 47.  Facial nerve intact. No eye problems, headaches, or balance issues. Drove 6 weeks later. 1st biz trip 8 weeks later. Huge tumor....great outcome.

amymeri

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 11:47:17 am »
Hi David

Yes, I don't think there was any question it had to come out as I had significant brain displacement and compression of my brainstem.  Strangely, my ONLY symptom was 4 months of right lower lip and chin MILD numbness.  I am actually much worse now (with full right facial paralysis, numbness and SSD).  So, if there could have been a guarantee that the tumor was done growing it might have been worth leaving it in.  But we all know how that goes....both the ENT and NS thought it had to come out within a month.

But I sure wish GK was an option for me.

I know that some people have ANs and Meningiomas that do become necrotic and die on their own and are never found except post mortem.

I actually know 2 others with ANs and 2 people with Meningiomas.  Currently, at my husbands work there are 2 spouses with "benign" BT (including me) and 2 faculty with brain tumors (a AN and a medulla blastoma).  That's a lot of brain tumors in a staff of 40.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Windsong

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 09:47:02 am »
Ron, I had fsr just over a year ago. At six months my An was stable and the measurements were slightly smaller than at the beginning of treatment.  In the short time between diagnosis and treatment it had gotten larger. Now, at the one year mark, I am told it is stable, same size. I haven't actually read the latest report so I don't know if any necrosis is happening yet?

I'll be content if it remains halted. (Though I wouldn't mind if the "alien" shrivelled and disappeared lol....)

Interesting to read Sam's comment that necrosis often begins to show up 1 1/2 to 2 yrs after zapping? I can hardly wait until next year's followup!!

Windsong

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 10:13:47 pm »
Hey Gang: I grew up and still work for my family farm in a small Northern California town (Ukiah, CA) think haiku spelled backwards.  My coworker Elicia- her husband was diagnosed with a AN back in 2000 and opted for surgery with Jackler at Stanford.  Also, my girlfiend in Seattle (and bear with me here), her mother in law's best friend's son had AN surgery 20 years ago-only to come out fine from the surgery.  Finally, a friend from college had a friend who opted for surgery with an AN in Seattle.

My point- it's a small AN world after all- heck I've got 2,4,and 2 degrees of separation in my non statistical analysis!  Take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

pearchica

• Hey!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 10:41:55 pm »
Yeah Brucifer- I was going to send you a personal message to ask about your sister in Fort Bragg! Too funny that you have family in what is a remote part of Northern California. Yep, we have pear orchards in Ukiah and Hopland.  Quite frankly, farming is more depressing than my AN at times.  But we are hanging in there on the farm front.  We used to have a chemical company for our growers (so we would control what they/we were all spraying).  The company was called Belchfire Chemicals and the motto was "Better Living through Poisonous Chemicalsâ€?.  ;D  I’m now thinking I need to use that for my signature line! (But perhaps that’s a bit to edgy) :o.. I think I need to wait a few weeks…
Thanks for posting- Annie
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 02:20:50 am »
Last summer we went to Eureka to see my cousins and they took us to Mendocino for a 2 day trip and we stayed in Ft. Bragg.  Very pretty drive down there.  Saw where they filmed some of Murder She Wrote.  Nice trip.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

BevM

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 07:42:55 am »
Hi Annie:  Just had to chime in on Ukiah/Fort Bragg.  I was born and raised in Fort Bragg (big sports rivals in my day)  and now live in Petaluma.  I had CK treatment at Stanford in October.  If you want to stop in Petaluma to or from Stanford sometime to "kabitz" about ANs, let me know.  I have been hoping for a local support group but so far have no information about that.  There are a number of Nor Cal AN'ers but I think they are mostly south of SF and they did have a gathering in San Diego in January.  I do know of one other person in Petaluma and we have met for lunch.  Its always good to talk with someone who understands what it feels like to live with this.

Best Wishes on your treatment and let me know if I can be of support in any way.

Bev

pearchica

• Hey!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 10:38:05 pm »
OH btw- Dr. Soltys told me 3-5 years for total death...slow to grow, slow to die... ayayaya... Annie

okiesandy

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 10:10:41 am »
Long time to answer this thread.

I had my 1 year MRI in January. I ask then if there was necrosis. The answer was "well it is doing something" word necrosis was not used. I was told the AN was smaller than 6 months ago.

Got the radiation report and it only said tumor smaller. I was a little miffed because at 3 month and 6 month mri they said I had a dark spot in the middle and it was not mentioned this time. I looked at my MRI disc and could not see the dark spot this time. On Monday 3/5 I went to my Neuro surgeon and she was so excited and showed me a dark shadow all the way through the middle of the tumor. She said non enhancing means necrosis. YEAH!!!!!

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 01:57:16 pm »
I can answer this thread now too.  10 months after GK, my MRI showed necrosis.  Drinks for everybody!

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

okiesandy

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 04:29:55 pm »
I personally thin the word necrosis is almost like poetry. Very nice word. Can you send that drink to Oklahoma?

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)